PhD position: Spatial analysis and modeling of music streaming dynamics

Manuel Moussallam

May 13, 2024, 9:57:13 AMMay 13
to Community Announcements
Dear everyone,

I'm happy to share this funded PhD position that will start next Fall and be co-supervised at Deezer in Paris. Feel free to share extensively.

Detailed offer
As part of the MELODYNAMICS project funded by the CNRS Interdisciplinary Mission , we offer a doctoral contract (3 years) starting from October 1st, 2024. The doctoral candidate will work on the spatial analysis and modeling of music streaming dynamics, applying methods from statistical physics of complex systems and machine learning. The doctoral student will be based at Géographie-cités and Deezer and will divide his or her working time between the two locations. He/She will be co-advised by Marc Barthelemy (Institute of Theoretical Physics), Thomas Louail (Géographie-cités), and Manuel Moussallam (Deezer).

Short description of the research project and thesis topic
----
Do new songs spread like epidemics, and do we observe spatial diffusion effects? Does the size of the city we live in influence the music we listen to? How do recommendations and network effects influence listening habits and the discoverability of songs from different geographical origins? The rise of streaming platforms, which are accessible in almost every country, offering standardized interfaces and collecting highly detailed anonymized streaming data, allows for addressing such questions empirically, and studying this important aspect of human behavior. The doctoral student will investigate the spatial dimension of listening habits and preferences, the influence and interactions of different discovery channels (platform recommendations, social networks of individuals, living environment), as well as the spatial propagation of new music on a global scale. Identifying stylized facts, building simplified models, and applying machine learning techniques will be the tools used.

Detailed description of the research project available here: https://bit.ly/4bzrPqX

All the best,

Manuel Moussallam
Deezer Research