Machine Learning Researcher in Saalfeld Lab at HHMI Janelia

Stephan Saalfeld

May 25, 2022, 2:15:28 PM5/25/22
to MLCSB COSI
We are looking for a machine learning researcher who is enthusiastic about developing novel machine learning based analysis methods for large biological images and videos at the interface of cell biology and neuroscience.  We are working closely with experimentalists and software engineers and you will be able to establish and design your own research project in tight collaboration with our and other labs, with access to excellent scientific and engineering support staff and resources.  We are open source and open science enthusiasts, your work will contribute to popular open source packages and open data initiatives in the field.

Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, Virginia, where scientists pursue fundamental questions in neuroscience and imaging. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) launched Janelia in 2006, establishing an intellectually distinctive environment for scientists to do creative, collaborative, hands-on work.   Our integrated teams of biologists, computational scientists, and tool-builders pursue a small number of scientific questions with potential for transformative impact.  We share our methods, results, and tools with the scientific community.  It is a uniquely innovative and collaborative atmosphere that reflects HHMI’s reputation for excellence.

Qualifications:
  • Ph.D. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Math, Physics or related field. If you don't have a Ph.D yet but believe you can compensate this with enthusiasm, creativity, and practical experience, reach out and let's talk.

  • Advanced knowledge of Machine Learning, Statistics, Calculus, Data structures and Algorithms.

  • Two years of machine learning research experience.

  • Programming skills in Python, C/C++, Java, or equivalent.

More info: