postdoc position in Tuebingen, Germany

Gabriele Schweikert

Apr 27, 2021, 8:16:05 AM4/27/21
to MLCSB COSI

We are looking for an enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher with a strong machine learning background and keen interest in biology to join our Computational Epigenomics Group.

The group has been established in 2018 by Dr Gabriele Schweikert. It is part of the vibrant and rapidly growing Cyber Valley AI community around the University of Tübingen and the MPI for Intelligent Systems, Germany. The group is interested in advancing the field of computational biology by applying and developing state-of-the-art machine learning (ML) algorithms to solve unique challenges arising in this application domain. Of particular interest are complex biological processes underpinning epigenomic mechanisms of gene regulation, their roles during neuronal development and differentiation and their misfunction in disease, e.g. tumorigenesis. The group has a second leg within the School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee, Scotland and a generous UKRI Future Leader Fellowship will allow us to generate unique experimental data sets which are optimally designed to answer mechanistic questions using advanced Machine Learning Technology. We have a unique combination of expertise that spans large scale data analysis, applied bioinformatics and deep learning. In addition to this, we collaborate with domain experts from the biomedical sciences.

The successful candidate will work on machine learning challenges stemming from applications to genomic, epigenomic and microscopic imaging data. You will be leading projects and collaborating with other researchers from different disciplines. Machine learning areas of interest include NLP, representation learning, deep learning and model interpretability.

You should have a Ph.D. in machine learning or related fields and your research ability is demonstrated by journal and conference publications. Experience working on medical or biological data is not a requirement, but you must bring a keen interest in the field. We would like you to start as soon as possible.

We look forward to receiving your application including a CV and a cover letter by May 15, 2021

Please send inquiries about the lab as well as applications by email to G.Schw...@uni-tuebingen.de with subject line: “ML-Postdoc Application”.