First time selecting metadata in "Retrieve Metadata" get no components

Timothy Chiang

Mar 31, 2024, 3:08:09 PMMar 31
to Illuminated Cloud Q&A
Hi there, I have been experience this problem several times in the past essentially when I pick components in the "Retrieve Metadata" for the first time, I do not always retrieve them the first time around.

I get the following status: Retrieve Complete: No components were retrieved.

When I go back to the "Retrieve Metadata" screen, the components are still selected, however, I have to press "Retrieve" a second time to actually get them.

Is this a common or known problem? is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

CleanShot 2024-03-31 at 15.04.19@2x.png

Scott

Apr 1, 2024, 10:13:06 AMApr 1
to Illuminated Cloud Q&A, t...@blumauconsulting.com
Yes, I've seen this a few times, always on either Mac or Linux. After a retrieval, IC asks the IDE's VFS (Virtual File System) to refresh itself so that it's aware of the files from the retrieval, and it uses that information for its reported stats. For some reason in certain situations, the VFS doesn't refresh properly and IC doesn't see the retrieved files. It doesn't happen every time, but it also doesn't seem to be timing-related as the retrieved files aren't visible to the IDE until you do an explicit File | Reload all from disk which forces a(nother) refresh of the VFS.

So the "good" news is that File | Reload all from disk is a sort of workaround when that happens; the bad(/real) news is that it's a bug that I need to investigate and fix. Not an ideal response, I know, but that's the story. I'll see if I can spend a bit of time troubleshooting it again this week in an environment where hopefully it happens with enough regularity to corner it.

Regards,
Scott Wells

Timothy Chiang

Apr 2, 2024, 12:12:00 PMApr 2
to Illuminated Cloud Q&A, Scott, Timothy Chiang
Okay thanks for that. Was trying to figure out if I was doing anything wrong.