BLAS/LAPACK Library Linking Issue

Forrest Carpenter

Jun 20, 2017, 9:52:50 PM6/20/17
to lap...@icl.utk.edu, ciz...@tamu.edu

Hello,

I downloaded and compiled LAPACK 3.7.0 onto my Linux machine (running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) using GFortran.  I used the supplied make.inc.gfortran and uncommented the commented lib option in the Makefile so that I would make both a BLAS and a LAPACK library.

I had to manually create the folder LIB inside SRC/VARIANTS for the libraries to actually compile (Make would complain that it could not find the directory).  Once the LIB directory was created, the libraries were seemingly created with no issues.  The testing done as a part of the Make procedure showed no errors.   The trouble occurs when I attempt to use the BLAS and LAPACK libraries to compile a fortran code using GFortran.

It appears the the LAPACK routines in the LAPACK library can't find the necessary BLAS routines in the BLAS library. The specific error messages that I get look like the following:

/home/forrest/codes/libs/lapack-3.6.1/liblapack.a(dgetrf.o): In function `dgetrf_':
dgetrf.f:(.text+0x3cb): undefined reference to `dtrsm_'
dgetrf.f:(.text+0x4a2): undefined reference to `dgemm_'
/home/forrest/codes/libs/lapack-3.6.1/liblapack.a(dgetrs.o): In function `dgetrs_':
dgetrs.f:(.text+0x14f): undefined reference to `dtrsm_'
dgetrs.f:(.text+0x1bc): undefined reference to `dtrsm_'
dgetrs.f:(.text+0x356): undefined reference to `dtrsm_'
dgetrs.f:(.text+0x3c3): undefined reference to `dtrsm_'

These error messages occur once the local Fortran files have been compiled and the compiler attempts to link the libraries.  I've checked the specific library files using "ar -t" and have verified that the .o files are present in each of the libraries.  This issue was also found when I tried using 3.6.1 too.

I tried simply compiling the BLAS library separate and then compiling the LAPACK library.  This resulted in the same set of errors.  What could be causing this issue?  I previously have had no issues compiling and using the libraries on Mac OS X and there has been success compiling 3.6.1 on Ubuntu 16.10.  Could it be something with the Ubuntu 14.04?  Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.  Thank you!

-Forrest

--
Forrest L. Carpenter IV, PhD
Senior Research Associate

Julie Langou

Jun 20, 2017, 9:56:22 PM6/20/17
to Forrest Carpenter, lap...@icl.utk.edu, ciz...@tamu.edu
Dear Forrest,
Just run the following command:
cp make.inc.example make.inc
make blaslib
make

That should work fine
Julie
--
LAPACK library Website: http://www.netlib.org/lapack/
---

Julie Langou

Jun 21, 2017, 9:43:29 PM6/21/17
to Forrest Carpenter, lap...@icl.utk.edu, ciz...@tamu.edu
Forrest,
Could you please send me the output.
Julie
On Jun 21, 2017, at 8:29 AM, Forrest Carpenter <for...@email.tamu.edu> wrote:

Julie,

I just tried what you suggested and I still run into the same issue as before.

-Forrest

Forrest Carpenter

Jun 21, 2017, 9:44:07 PM6/21/17
to Julie Langou, lap...@icl.utk.edu, ciz...@tamu.edu