Navy's GOFS 3.1 Analysis Reaching End of Life

Michael McDonald

May 20, 2024, 9:14:48 AMMay 20
to not...@hycom.org
The Navy's GOFS 3.1 Analysis runs every day, but the computer it uses is due to be decommissioned on Friday 07 June 2024 so the last GOFS 3.1 Analysis will likely be on 06 June.

It is being replaced by the Navy's ESPC system, see:

The Navy's Earth System Prediction Capability: A New Global Coupled Atmosphere-Ocean-Sea Ice Prediction System Designed for Daily to Subseasonal Forecasting

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2020EA001199

This consists of a 1/12-degree 16-member ensemble system run weekly and a 1/25-degree deterministic system run daily. We will be serving the daily deterministic analysis and forecast, but on the existing GLBy0.08 (1/12 degree) grid. We hope to have this ready to go before GOFS 3.1 is turned off.

--
Michael McDonald
HYCOM.org Administrator

Joe Metzger

May 22, 2024, 4:12:53 PMMay 22
to HYCOM.org Forum, Michael McDonald, not...@hycom.org
The decimated output from ESPC-D v2 will not be exactly on the GLBy0.08 grid. As that system runs, the postprocessing scripts spatially interpolate from the GLBc0.04 computational grid to the GLBz0.04 uniform lat/lon grid. FNMOC will then use netCDF operators to decimate the output to a 0.08 degree uniform grid, i.e. every other grid point in x and y.

GLBz0.04 starts/ends at:
plon:  min,max =         0.00000      359.95999
plat:  min,max =       -80.48000       90.00000

whereas GLBy0.08 starts/ends at:
plon:  min,max =      -180.00000      179.92000
plat:  min,max =       -80.48000       90.00000

and there may be other inconsistencies in the land/sea values.

Joe

marcelo...@petrobras.com.br

May 23, 2024, 7:27:51 AMMay 23
to HYCOM.org Forum, Joe Metzger, Michael McDonald, not...@hycom.org
Hello Michael and Joe.

Do you know if it is going to be possible for the general public to download the 1/25 data (in the GLBz0.04 uniform lat/lon grid) from somewhere? NCEI, NOMADS, etc?
I have already checked the FNMOC website, but I couldn't find any reference to this. Do you know if NCEI, NOMADS, or any other platform will provide access to this new dataset?"

Thank you.

Alan Wallcraft

Jun 18, 2024, 9:20:44 AMJun 18
to HYCOM.org Forum, Michael McDonald, not...@hycom.org
The computer running GOFS 3.1 is closed to most users, but is still running GOFS 3.1 and is expected to do so until ESPC-D v2 comes on-line.

Alan

mh...@oceani.com

Jun 18, 2024, 11:09:23 AMJun 18
to Alan Wallcraft, HYCOM.org Forum, Michael McDonald, not...@hycom.org

Thank you. Sounds like there is not expected to be a gap in the daily data products.  This is good news.  We have looked at the sample products you have online and will be ready for ESPC-D v2 when it comes online.  I appreciate the response.

Mark