Insanely slow download speeds in Dubai

Patrick Tripp

May 15, 2024, 2:54:28 PMMay 15
to HYCOM.org Forum
Is there any reason why downloading from data.hycom.org in Dubai (UAE) is incredibly slow? I also often lose connection to the server and have to continue/resume the download. I have been trying to resolve this problem for months. Is the connection being throttled to servers outside of the US or something?

For example:
The following file takes about 3 minutes to download to my work computer in the US.
It takes around 40 hours to download to a client's server in Dubai.

NOAA NOMADS data 3D global GFS data, although slower than the USA, downloads fast enough.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thank you,
Patrick

Michael McDonald

May 20, 2024, 9:35:55 AMMay 20
to Patrick Tripp, HYCOM.org Forum
Patrick,
Sorry to hear you are having data access issues. If you are experiencing both FTP/FTPS and HTTP/HTTPS throttling then this might be anywhere in the net path from Tallahassee, FL to your location in Dubai.

Please try running a "speedtest.net" using the remote server "Tallahassee, FL - Florida State University - ITS". If this Download speed is also in line with the data download rates you are getting for accessing the NetCDF field, then there is a network bottleneck likely outside our control.

We are working on an AWS clone of the forecast outputs once the new ESPC model data is available.

Michael McDonald
HYCOM.org Administrator