Consultation on mixed_layer_thickness data

陈莹

Nov 28, 2022, 8:02:00 AM11/28/22
to fo...@hycom.org
Dear HYCIM team:
      Hello, we are using the mixed_layer_tickness data on HYCOM recently, but we can not found the information about mixed_layer_thickness data on how to calculated. Could you please help us solve this problem? Thank you very much.

Guangdong Ocean University, Zhanjiang, China
Chen Ying

Alan Wallcraft

Nov 28, 2022, 9:36:00 AM11/28/22
to HYCOM.org Forum, 陈莹
This is the mixed layer thickness calculated diagnostically inside HYCOM, keying on tmljmp from blkdat.input:

   0.3    'tmljmp' = equivalent temperature jump across mixed-layer (degC)

The mld is at the distance from the surface of the density jump equivalent to tmljmp.  The calculation is done in density so that it works when salinity is important.  In many places this is about the same as a 0.3 degC temperature jump MLD criteria.

Note that surface_boundary_layer_thickness is the BLD from KPP.

Alan.