Simulation with an online passive tracer

Alfredo Terrazas

Apr 4, 2022, 3:43:54 PM4/4/22
to HYCOM.org Forum
Hello HYCOM users,
I'm simulating a passive tracer in the Gulf of Tehuantepec, I set the initial subdomain with a 100% concentration, and after a year of simulation I'd like to reset this concentration in the subdomain while keeping the actual concentration in the rest of the domain.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help.
Alfredo.

Alan Wallcraft

Apr 5, 2022, 11:43:36 AM4/5/22
to HYCOM.org Forum, Alfredo Terrazas
Are you using trcflg=0 or trcflg=3?

! --- 'trcflg' = tracer flags      (one digit per tracer, most sig. replicated)
! ---              0: passive, 100% at surface
! ---              1: passive, psudo-silicate
! ---              2: passive, temperature
! ---              3: passive

How about trcrlx?

! --- trcrlx      activate lateral boundary tracer climatological nudging

If trcflg=0 and trxrlx=T then the surface tracer is maintained at "climatology" everywhere that this isn't zero, and if rmutr is zero everywhere this is the only tracer forcing.  If you want to continue the run but with exactly zero in the original subregion the closest you can get is to make the climatology very small but not zero (e.g. 1.e-6) there.  If you instead want to continue but without any forcing, set trcflg=3.

If trcflg=3, set the climatology to zero and trcrlx=T and provide a rmutr that strongly relaxes to this value in the desired subregion.  I would use 1/(4*batrop) for an e-folding time of 4 time steps.   You could do this for just a day or two and then run without trcrlx from then on.

Alan.