RTOFS dataset: rtofs_glo_2ds_f***_diag.nc

Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate

Jul 17, 2024, 9:14:14 AM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to HYCOM.org Forum
Hello everyone!

I have a question about RTOFS data. I have downloaded the rtofs_glo_2ds_f***_diag.nc files for each day from 20240127 to 20240703. When examining the data, I noticed that each directory (each day) contains approximately 192 files. I initially thought all the files should correspond to the same day. However, when I read the MT variables, I observed that the first 24 files are for day 1, and starting from the 24th file, the data corresponds to the next day, and so on.

Can anyone here help me figure this out?

Best,
Parisa

Dmitry Dukhovskoy - NOAA Federal

Jul 19, 2024, 8:35:27 AM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to HYCOM.org Forum, Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate
Hi Parisa,

the files you are looking at are surface fields ("2ds" - means 2D surface) that include "diagnostic" ("diag") variables (in fact, some prognostic variables are also included for some reason). The 2d*prog.nc files contain surface u, v, sst, ssh, layer density. f??? in the file names are the forecast hours, so there are hourly 8-day forecasts in the directory.

Dmitry