Different relaxation scales with time

yilong lyu

Nov 1, 2022, 10:06:08 PM11/1/22
to HYCOM.org Forum
Hi Alan,

I am now using HYCOM to study the decadal variation of SSS. Can the HYCOM we use make the relaxation field change over time? That is, it is different from year to year?

Thank you and best regards,
Yilong

Alan Wallcraft

Nov 2, 2022, 2:09:51 PM11/2/22
to HYCOM.org Forum, lyuy...@gmail.com
The SSS monthly relaxation field is the first layer of relax.saln.[ab].  So you can change this file if you want a different SSS climatology.  Note that the saln file always has kdm layers per month but if the run is only relaxing to SSS (i.e. not relaxing all T/S//i 3-D fields) then the lower kdm-1 layers are skipped (ignored) in both the .a and the .b file.

Alan.