A question about the downloading time

Dantonio Corrado

Jan 11, 2024, 10:17:24 AMJan 11
to HYCOM.org Forum
Dear all
I am a beginner student. And I have another question. I realized that  there is a line on the website that says
  • THREDDS servers update/restart daily between 2:00 AM - 3:00 AM, and 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EST/EDT.
    ** Please avoid requesting data during this maintenance window, else you are likely to get an error **
I find that part of my data was downloaded during that time. I want to know what happens if I download data during that time and I'd like to know what this 'error' refers to. Does it mean I can't link to the server? This problem is torturing me, please help me!
Thank you in advance!

Dantonio Corrado

Jan 11, 2024, 10:35:32 AMJan 11
to HYCOM.org Forum, Dantonio Corrado
I'm sorry I inquired about this because of my negligence regarding Daylight Saving Time. I would greatly appreciate it if an administrator would respond to my question!

Michael McDonald

Jan 11, 2024, 12:18:13 PMJan 11
to Dantonio Corrado, HYCOM.org Forum
What errors did you get when making queries during these (maintenance)
windows of time?

Query errors can occur in datasets that are *updating* (containing new
data) which requires a server restart. If you are querying static
datasets (e.g., the GOFS reanalysis), these datasets will be the same
after restarts.
> --
> --

Michael McDonald
HYCOM.org Administrator

Dantonio Corrado

Jan 11, 2024, 12:28:35 PMJan 11
to HYCOM.org Forum, Michael McDonald, HYCOM.org Forum, Dantonio Corrado
I managed to download some of the data during this (maintenance)  time, and I'm concerned about whether or not this is the right data. And I always downloaded data from GOFS 3.1's Hindcast data.
Dan

Dantonio Corrado

Jan 11, 2024, 12:38:28 PMJan 11
to HYCOM.org Forum, Dantonio Corrado, Michael McDonald, HYCOM.org Forum
I apologize for not being more descriptive.   I always downloaded data from GOFS 3.1's  analysis Hindcast data.

Dan

Dantonio Corrado

Jan 11, 2024, 5:31:52 PMJan 11
to HYCOM.org Forum, Dantonio Corrado, HYCOM.org Forum
Dear Michael.
One of my biggest concerns is whether or not this the ' Query errors' would cause me to download data from time point 1 when I want to download data from time point 2 instead. This worry is killing me.
Dan

Michael McDonald

Jan 14, 2024, 9:54:43 AMJan 14
to Dantonio Corrado, HYCOM.org Forum
Dan,
Please follow the forum rules and provide the missing details to help
answer your question.
https://www.hycom.org/forum/readme

THREDDS/OPENDAP is a very simple service. If you ask for data then
data is (typically) returned. If you get a query *error* then *no
data* should be returned. So if you have data, your query was highly
likely successful (whatever this might have been).

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 5:31 PM Dantonio Corrado