HYCOM Intellectual property rights

Gosain, Gagandeep

Aug 19, 2022, 11:07:35 AM8/19/22
to fo...@hycom.org, webm...@hycom.org, Guha, Amitava, Esenkov, Oleg E

Hi Eric/Michael,

Could you please advise if HYCOM has any intellectual property rights reserved (or license of use) on downloading and using its data base for commercial purposes.

Thanks.

Gagandeep Gosain

Marine Engineer

Civil & Marine, Surface Engineering

Bangalore Technology Center

ExxonMobil Services & Technology Private Limited

(CIN: U74900KA2015FTC080245)

5th Floor, Crescent #1, Prestige Shantiniketan

Whitefield Main Road, Whitefield

Bangalore – 560 048 Karnataka, India

Mobile: +91 9511543908

E-mail: gagandee...@exxonmobil.com

Registerd Office:

5th Floor, Crescent-1. Prestige Shantiniketan Building, Whitefield Main Road,

Bangalore – 560048, India

This email and / or its attachments may contain information that is privileged, confidential, private, proprietary and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are put on notice that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of any of the materials herein is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete this email and its attachments.

Alan Wallcraft

Guha, Amitava

Aug 19, 2022, 3:02:45 PM8/19/22
to Alan Wallcraft, HYCOM.org Forum, Gosain, Gagandeep, Esenkov, Oleg E, webm...@hycom.org

Hi Alan,

Thank you for sharing the below information.

Is there any legal documentation available that confirms that HYCOM data is released under US DOD Distribution A and can be considered as public domain data. We may be able to use that as supporting document to move forward in utilizing the data for our use.

Appreciate your help in locating the document.

Best Regards,

Amitava Guha, PhD

Marine Engineer

Surface – Materials, Civil, and Marine

ExxonMobil Upstream Integrated Solutions

22777 Springwoods Village Parkway

Spring, TX 77389

+1-832-625-4900 Office

+1-979-739-9555 Mobile

Alan Wallcraft

Aug 19, 2022, 3:59:26 PM8/19/22
to HYCOM.org Forum, Guha, Amitava, Gosain, Gagandeep, Esenkov, Oleg E, webm...@hycom.org, Alan Wallcraft
The following is included in all the Navy generated netCDF files on our data server:

// global attributes:
        :classification_level = "UNCLASSIFIED" ;
        :distribution_statement = "Approved for public release. Distribution unlimited." ;
        :downgrade_date = "not applicable" ;
        :classification_authority = "not applicable" ;
        :institution = "Naval Oceanographic Office" ;

This distribution statement is the usual short form for Distribution A.

I'm not sure if this metadata is preserved if you request a subset (for example), which would be generated on our servers from the original Navy files, but the public release still applies.

Alan.

Gosain, Gagandeep

Nov 17, 2022, 11:06:46 AM11/17/22
to Alan Wallcraft, HYCOM.org Forum, Guha, Amitava, Esenkov, Oleg E, webm...@hycom.org

Hi Alan,

Thank you for providing below information, could you please help us answering (“Yes/No”) if the HYCOM data is available in Public Domain for use.

Thanks.

Gagandeep.

The following is included in all the Navy generated netCDF files on our data server:

Gosain, Gagandeep

Nov 28, 2022, 8:02:05 AM11/28/22
to Alan Wallcraft, HYCOM.org Forum, Guha, Amitava, Esenkov, Oleg E, webm...@hycom.org, Knight, Brent R

Hi Alan,

Just wanted to follow up with you on below query. Your help on answering below would allow us to take a call on using HYCOM data.

Thanks.

Alan Wallcraft

Nov 28, 2022, 9:42:41 AM11/28/22
to HYCOM.org Forum, Gosain, Gagandeep, Guha, Amitava, Esenkov, Oleg E, webm...@hycom.org, Knight, Brent R, Alan Wallcraft
Yes, the HYCOM data on the hycom.org data server is available in Public Domain for use.

For the details, see the earlier posts in this thread.

Alan.