Inclusion of wind data in simulation

Ricardo Sbragio

Jun 1, 2022, 8:06:15 AMJun 1
to HYCOM.org Forum
Hi, I am doing a subsurface simulation of an oil spill using PyGnome model. The HYCOM current data of the simulation is the GLBy0.08_expt_93.0 (Dec-04-2018 to Present + FORECAST + ice+ sur). I would like to know if I also have to include a wind mover (like ERA5) or if HYCOM data already considers the influence of the wind shear stress in the layers above the mixing layer depth and the Coriolis effect.
Thanks
Ricardo

Alan Wallcraft

Jun 1, 2022, 8:40:20 AMJun 1
to HYCOM.org Forum, Ricardo Sbragio
Yes, HYCOM is a full Ocean General Circulation Model (OGCM) and includes wind stress forcing and Coriolis.  It does not include Stokes drift.

The wind stress used is in the "ice" data set, as is the near-surface ocean velocity.  This was calculated from NAVGEM 10m winds (and its other  atmospheric fields) using a bulk parameterrization and HYCOM's surface fields -  it is based on U10-Uocn (relative winds).

If you need the 10m winds anyway, we have them on a NAVGEM grid (which changes from v1.4 to v2.0 over this time period), see for example http://data.hycom.org/datasets/force/NAVGEM/navgem2.0_0.176c/3hourly/

These are NRL .D files (*_uv-10m.D) which can be converted to netCDF using nrl2nc, see https://www.hycom.org/tools/309-forcing-to-netcdf-converter although nrl2nc is now found in HYCOM-tools

Alan.