wind and current data

Anesu

Feb 20, 2022, 2:09:37 PM2/20/22
to fo...@hycom.org

Good morning.

My name is Anesu Mukungurutse and I am a final year undergraduate student at Swansea university in the United kingdom. I am currently completing my dissertation and I was wondering if I could obtain some datasets for Mauritius wind direction, speed and ocean currents data for an oil spill simulation.

Kind regards

Anesu M.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Alan Wallcraft

Feb 21, 2022, 9:17:58 AM2/21/22
to HYCOM.org Forum, Anesu
You can download any subregion of surface ocean currents you like from the GOFS 3.1 Analysis (say) on our dataserver.

For 10 winds, GOFS 3.1 is forced by NAVGEM but this is only available as NRL ".D" files which you would have to convert to netCDF via a program we provide.  So I suggest using CFSRv2 instead, which is hourly and already in netCDF.  Note that for either wind dataset all we have is the entire globe in one file - so any subregioning would be done at your end.  Also it is on a native atmospheric grid, not the ocean grid.

Alan.

gurumoorthi K

Mar 24, 2022, 8:28:07 AM3/24/22
to HYCOM.org Forum, Anesu
Read Gurumoorthi et al. 2021 for more about Mauritius oil spill.