Problem trying to download across 0 meridian

Laurie Gainey

Jan 9, 2024, 4:17:53 PMJan 9
to HYCOM.org Forum, lga...@highrezconsulting.com
I know that we have done this before, but running into a problem downloading HYCOM temperature and salinity data using the following geographic bounds:

50N to 80N
60W to 20E  (by specifying -60 to 20)

The resulting HYCOM file only has longitude data from 0 to 20E.
Any suggestions?
Untitled.png

Michael McDonald

Jan 10, 2024, 4:25:52 PMJan 10
to Laurie Gainey, HYCOM.org Forum, lga...@highrezconsulting.com
Laurie,
Unfortunately, NCSS does not support subsets that cross the prime meridian since west/east goes from 0 to 360. If you need to use NCSS then you must download both halves and combine the NC files locally, or get the whole domain and then cut/discard the domain parts you don't want (via local NCO tools like ncks), or simply use ncks to client-side subset via OPENDAP (i.e. don't use NCSS).

Michael McDonald
HYCOM.org Administrator

Laurie Gainey

Jan 10, 2024, 4:31:43 PMJan 10
to Michael McDonald, Laurie Gainey, HYCOM.org Forum

Thank you very much

Laurie Gainey

Jan 11, 2024, 12:04:32 PMJan 11
to Michael McDonald, Laurie Gainey, HYCOM.org Forum, Sally Walker

We were just a bit confused because

GLBv.08/expt_57 allows you to download across the prime meridian, however GLBv.08/expt_93 and GLBv.08/expt_92 will not

Michael McDonald

Jan 11, 2024, 12:13:55 PMJan 11
to Laurie Gainey, Laurie Gainey, HYCOM.org Forum, Sally Walker
The Navy changed the longitude (west-east) format to 0-360 for all the latest Global model netcdf outputs. The older hycom outputs used to be -180 to 180, which had a similar issue with NCSS that prevented queries that spanned the 180deg line. This spanning/wrap issue was supposed to be fixed in the newer versions of NCSS that Unidata releases (v5+) but we have not yet upgraded our NCSS servers to this.

Laurie Gainey

Jan 11, 2024, 7:13:09 PMJan 11
to Michael McDonald, Laurie Gainey, HYCOM.org Forum, Sally Walker
Thank you very much for the prompt reply !

Sent from my iPhone