Re: Ref. Ocean surface currents

Message has been deleted

Alan Wallcraft

Jun 28, 2024, 7:57:53 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to HYCOM.org Forum, Prokopios Krikris

Global Ocean Forecast System 3.1 Validation Testing included validation against drifting buoys (page 26), but these have a drogue at 15 m and so 15 m depth currents from GOFS were used for comparison.  The EKE results (pages 6-8) are also comparing to drifters.

I am not aware of any comparisons that use GOFS 3.1 surface currents.

Alan.

On Friday, June 28, 2024 at 4:06:40 AM UTC-4 Prokopios Krikris wrote:
To: HYCOM

Dear Sirs,

I am dealing with vessel performance claims, and the accuracy of the currents in terms of their impact on the Vessels' performance is important. I would be interested in using your platform to obtain data for ocean surface currents.

I would like to know more about the accuracy of analysing the ocean currents, direction and speed. I understand that there is an industry debate and some companies use MERCATOR but others use HYCOM.

Your valuable input will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Prokopios Krikris