RTOFS SSH data/inverse barometric effect

Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate

Jul 3, 2024, 3:01:14 PMJul 3
to HYCOM.org Forum
Hello,

I'm new to this field and interested in using RTOFS SSH data. Before proceeding, I need to understand how these data account for the inverse barometric effect, and if RTOFS has air pressure forcing. Could you please provide more details on this? I found some explanation here, but I'm also looking for any specific documents or references that could help me delve deeper into this topic.

Thank you!

Alan Wallcraft

Jul 4, 2024, 10:11:44 AMJul 4
to HYCOM.org Forum, Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate
HYCOM often reads in atmospheric pressure as a forcing field, but this is usually only applied to the bulk parameterization for wind stress and heat flux.  If  blkdat variable 'mslprf' is set to 1 then atmospheric pressure is used directly to force the model.  This gives what is in effect an inverse barometer, but is more accurate because it is a model forcing term rather than a simple scale factor of pressure.

If RTOFS is like GOFS 3.1, it has 'mslprf' = 0. i.e. no direct pressure forcing and no inverse barometer.

Typically,  'mslprf'=1 is only used in cases with tides because atmospheric pressure contributes to the S2 "tidal" signal, although this effect is from solar heating of the atmosphere rather than gravity.

Alan.

Dmitry Dukhovskoy - NOAA Federal

Jul 5, 2024, 11:47:53 AMJul 5
to HYCOM.org Forum, Alan Wallcraft, Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate
RTOFS does not have inverse barometer effect, from the blkdat input file used for operational RTOFS forecasts:

   0      'mslprf' = msl pressure forcing flag            (0=F,1=T)

Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate

Jul 8, 2024, 9:59:14 AM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to HYCOM.org Forum, Dmitry Dukhovskoy - NOAA Federal, Alan Wallcraft, Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I have two more questions:

  1. Can you please share any documents that explain this in detail? I couldn't find any comprehensive documents by searching online.

  2. I am planning to download RTOFS SSH using this link: NOAA NWS RTOFS. I downloaded a netCDF file, but it doesn't contain SSH. Should I be looking at rtofs_glo.t00z.f01.archs.a.tgz or rtofs_glo.t00z.f01.archs.b instead?

Best,
Parisa

Alan Wallcraft

Jul 8, 2024, 10:25:09 AM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to HYCOM.org Forum, Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate, Dmitry Dukhovskoy - NOAA Federal, Alan Wallcraft
See page 16 of the following for a brief description of Atmospheric pressure forcing in HYCOM.

2018: B.K. Arbic, M.H. Alford, J.K. Ansong, M.C. Buijsman, E.J. Metzger, H.E. Ngodock, J.G. Richman, J.F. Shriver, I. Souopgui, A.J. Wallcraft, L. Zamudio, et. al.

Alan.

Parisa Heidary - NOAA Affiliate

Jul 8, 2024, 4:44:27 PM (13 days ago) Jul 8
to Dmitry Dukhovskoy - NOAA Federal, HYCOM.org Forum, Alan Wallcraft
Thank you so much Alan.

Dmitry-- I first downloaded rtofs_glo_3dz_n024_6hrly_hvr_US_west.nc, but then tried to get archive files. Now I am downloading rtofs_glo_2ds_f***_diag.nc. But the github link that you shared with me is really helpful. I will need to read those archive files as well. Thanks so much.

Thank you!

On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 3:55 PM Dmitry Dukhovskoy - NOAA Federal <dmitry.d...@noaa.gov> wrote:
Parisa,

what file(s) did you download? I'm checking
rtofs_glo.t00z.f06.archv.[ab]
in the *.b (a text file) you can see:
srfhgt   =   64731240  44952.250  0  0.000  -1.8124247E+01   1.3719835E+01
To get ssh in m , you will need to do: srfhgt/9.806

If you use python, see example:
lines 91-93
and functions to read HYCOM binary:
You will need the one that starts on line 255

Dmitry

Dmitry Dukhovskoy - NOAA Federal