THREDDS Upgrade to v4.5

HYCOM.org Notices

Mar 22, 2015, 2:23:05 PM3/22/15
to not...@hycom.org
Notice:

HYCOM.org will be upgrading our THREDDS data software to the latest version (v4.5.5) this Thursday (March 26, 2015). This latest version has many stability improvements for the NetCDF Subset Service. The key difference users will need to be aware of is a change in the NCSS URL structure.

Note: the only difference is the absence of "grid" after "thredds/ncss" in the URL.

Read more here under the section "Netcdf Subset Service Changes",
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/v4.6/tds/UpgradingTo4.5.html

We will let users know once the latest software is upgraded and available via the forum.

Michael McDonald

Mar 26, 2015, 12:39:37 PM3/26/15
to HYCOM.org Notices
The THREDDS upgrade to the latest developmental release v4.5 is now complete! Please let us know if you are having any trouble accessing HYCOM data on the fo...@hycom.org

NOTE: NetCDF Subset Service (NCSS) users will *need* to change their automated scripts to use the  new URL path. You will need to remove the "/grid" path of the path in order for your NCSS queries to continue working.

e.g.,
* OLD (v4.3) HYCOM NCSS URL:

* NEW (v4.5) HYCOM NCSS URL:

Michael McDonald

Mar 26, 2015, 4:42:32 PM3/26/15
to D, forum, not...@hycom.org
> Is there server up? I am unable to connect.

Yes it is up. Please be more specific, as we run several servers/services.

> While trying to access data earlier in the day I noticed the response times
> were slower.

Between 10:50AM and 11:30AM EST this morning we had a campus network
outage affecting data server access.

Mike

Apr 2, 2015, 9:11:42 AM4/2/15
to not...@hycom.org, not...@hycom.org
HYCOM.org will be upgrading our THREDDS data software to the latest version (v4.5.5) this Thursday (March 26, 2015). This latest version has many stability improvements for the NetCDF Subset Service. The key difference users will need to be aware of is a change in the NCSS URL structure.

The transition to THREDDS development/beta versions v4.5/v4.6 does not seem to be working as expected. There are several issues with catalog verifications at startup and severe instability with the new version of NetCDF Subset Service (NCSS). We already switched back our TDS/OPeNDAP servers (tds.hycom.org) back to the stable release of THREDDS last week, and are now moving back our NCSS servers (ncss.hycom.org) back to the stable v4.3.23 release.

NOTE: Users will need to change their NCSS wget scripts back to the old URL format with the inclusion of "/grid" in the path.

We will get with Unidata support to track down what went wrong with our upgrade.