question

Gert Pfurtscheller

Jul 13, 2021, 8:47:26 AM7/13/21
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org

P.T.,

Shokri-Kojori et al. Cer.Cortex .2018 analyzed 203 subjects out of HCP data base. They reported, that slow respiration lags slow BOLD oscillations ( < 0.1 Hz) by1.5 rad (corresponds to 2.5 s at f = 0.1 Hz). Respiratory sinus arrhythmia (RSA) is defined as HR increase during inspiration  and HR decrease during expiration with respiration acting as driving force. Cerebral blood flow oscillations measured by cerebral blood flow velocity (CBFv) in cerebral main arteries is the driving force for vascular BOLD component and lead blood pressure and slow cardiac changes.

QUESTION: How can  the 2.5 s at 0.1 Hz between BOLD and breathing waves be explained?

Best

Gert

--
Gert Pfurtscheller MSc, PhD
Emeritus Professor

Daniele Marinazzo

Jul 13, 2021, 3:41:02 PM7/13/21
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org
Dear Gert

Birn et al. estimated a "respiratory response function" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2533266/ by averaging the bold response to several deep breaths, and obtained a function peaking at around 3s.

Does this go in the direction of your question?

All the best

Daniele

Glasser, Matthew

Jul 15, 2021, 10:42:16 AM7/15/21
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org

With regard to the referenced paper, although it is unfortunate that they analyzed HCP data using a volume-based approach, their main finding seems to be a less spatially precise version of RC1 from our temporal ICA paper (Glasser et al., 2018 Neuroimage).  There we hypothesized that this component was related to sleep due to it being stronger in subjects who had been noted to be sleeping by the research assistants doing the scans, but this paper provides an alternative hypothesis.  Overall, such work illustrates why we need to be careful with our temporal denoising approaches that we do not throw out potentially meaningful neural signal.

Matt.