Stimuli of the social task

Arsalan Firoozi

Sep 21, 2020, 4:45:08 PM9/21/20
to HCP-Users
Hi,
I would like to download the stimuli used in the social task of HCP S1200.
Where and how can I find them?

Thanks,
Arsalan

Elam, Jennifer

Sep 21, 2020, 5:20:11 PM9/21/20
to HCP-Users
Hi Arsalan,
The task fMRI stimuli in EPrime are available on https://db.humanconnectome.org/data/projects/HCP_1200
Under Task Resources, 3T E-Prime scripts

Best,
Jenn

Oct 1, 2020, 5:58:35 PM10/1/20
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org

Hi Jennifer,

We have downloaded the stimuli of social task from ConnectomeDB. We have three questions:

1) According to the Barch et al., 2013 paper, 2 runs of social task have been collected from each subject, and each run contained 5 video clips. The folder that we have downloaded contains 22 video clips of which 2 clips have been used for practice. Based on the E-Prime script, the remaining 20 clips were supposed to be used in 4 runs. Now the question is which 10 stimuli have actually been presented to the subjects?

2) According to the Barch et al., 2013 paper, duration of each video clip was 20 sec. The stimuli that we have right now have variable durations from 18 sec to 25 sec. For the longer clips, only the first 20 sec has been used? What about the shorter clips?

3) It looks like the stimuli came from two different studies. For these two sets of stimuli, the spatial extent of the movie clip is different (640 x 480 for one set; 960 x 540 for the other set). Assuming that the stimuli have been presented at the center of screen, there should be uniform gray (128,128,128) background outside the stimulus area - more background for one set and less background for the other set, is this correct? What was the size of projected screen? 1024 x 768 pixels?

Thanks,

Reza

Elam, Jennifer

Oct 2, 2020, 2:40:12 PM10/2/20
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org, Burgess, Gregory
Hi Reza,
Greg Burgess (CC'd) will have to help answer your questions 2 & 3, but here's the info I have:
1. In the HCP protocol, we collected two runs of each task for each participant. Each E-Prime run corresponds to a specific stimulus list. E-Prime runs were not randomized across participants out of concern that variability related to the use of differing stimulus lists across subjects might interfere with the ability to detect individual differences. Consequently, our intent was (if everything went as planned in a session) that all participants would receive the same two E-Prime runs (run1 and run2) for each task.

However, we were unable to achieve that goal in all subjects, due to a competing desire to avoid possible practice effects in situations where “issues” arise in a given scan.  For example, due to technical problems (e.g,. scanner or E-Prime crash) or participant issues (e.g., squeezed the “panic” bulb), a given run might be aborted. To avoid repetition and practice effects on the specific stimuli from the prior runs, a new task list (run3 or run4) was used if the participant had seen more than 25% of the previous task run.

The specific script used for a given task scan is recorded in the "Eprime Script Number" variable in ConnectomeDB, as well as in the filename of the TAB.txt file in the processed fMRI data (e.g., {Subject_ID}/MNINonLinear/Results/tfMRI_SOCIAL_LR/SOCIAL_run2_TAB.txt) or unprocessed fMRI data {Subject_ID}/3T/tfMRI_SOCIAL_LR/LINKED_DATA/SOCIAL_run2_TAB.txt).

The Tab.txt file has precise information about the E-Prime event timing per subject per run. Some variables in this file are defined in https://www.humanconnectome.org/storage/app/media/documentation/s1200/HCP_S1200_Release_Appendix_VI.pdf

The exact clips used for each run are listed in the Movie column of the TAB.txt file
For Run1 the clips are:
COAXING-B.AVI
BILLIARD-A.AVI
DRIFTING-A.AVI
Fishing.AVI
Random mechanical.AVI

For Run2 the clips are:
Scaring.AVI
SEDUCING-B.AVI
STAR-A.AVI
SURPRISING-B.AVI
TENNIS-A.AVI

You'll have to look in the Movie column of the TAB.txt files for subjects who have runs 3 or 4.

2. You are likely right about using the first 20s of the longer clips. Greg will have to confirm and comment on the shorter clips. Again, exact timings are in the TAB.txt files.

3. The stimuli were projected onto a lucite screen at 1024x768 resolution. Greg will have to confirm the position of the stimulus area and if a uniform gray background was used outside of it.

Oct 2, 2020, 9:04:50 PM10/2/20
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org, Burgess, Gregory
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. We have downloaded the analyzed fMRI data for the social task. Is there anyway to get just the TAB.txt files of all subjects without downloading the entire processed fMRI data package?

Thanks,
Reza

Harms, Michael

Oct 2, 2020, 10:52:01 PM10/2/20
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org, Burgess, Gregory

Hi,

You could either download the TAB.txt file from the Amazon HCP bucket, or download them directly using REST calls into the ConnectomeDB database.  Examples for how to do that are posted on the HCP Wiki.

Cheers,

-MH

--

Michael Harms, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Psychiatry

Department of Psychiatry, Box 8134

660 South Euclid Ave.                        Tel: 314-747-6173

St. Louis, MO  63110                          Email: mha...@wustl.edu

Reza Rajimehr

Oct 6, 2020, 9:15:47 PM10/6/20
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org, Burgess, Gregory
Thanks Michael. We downloaded the TAB.txt files of all subjects (social task) from ConnectomeDB using curl.

We tried all the combinations of LR/RL folders and run1/run2/run3/run4 TAB.txt files. None of the subjects had run4 file. About 10 subjects had run3 file. We also noticed that about 20 subjects did not have any TAB.txt files - though they had functional data. We confirmed this problem by checking the directories in the Amazon HCP bucket.

Three extra (minor) questions:

1) Based on the TAB txt files, it was clear that the movies have been presented for 20 seconds followed by a 3-sec response epoch. It is still mysterious for us how the movie clips with duration of 18 and 19 seconds have been presented for 20 seconds.

2) There were fixation epochs (15 seconds) between the stimulus blocks. Apparently there was also a fixation epoch at the beginning and end of each run. What was the duration of these epochs? Our guess is 23 seconds at the beginning and 15 seconds at the end ...?

3) Some projectors flip the image when projecting on the screen. It is unlikely that the left-right flip has happened during the HCP data acquisition because the texts would then be very hard to read. So it would be great if you confirm that the flip has not happened.

Thanks,
Reza

Dorit Kliemann

Jul 22, 2021, 1:36:58 PM7/22/21
to HCP-Users, raji...@gmail.com, gbur...@wustl.edu

Hi,
stumbling over this message when searching for the same information that is being asked here.

Was the question to 1 (one video in runs 1 and 2 is only 19s) ever solved?

Thanks,
Dorit