Simulated fMRI data on surface

Reza Rajimehr

May 10, 2022, 11:33:24 PM5/10/22
to hcp-users
Hi,

We want to generate simulated/random fMRI data for vertices of fs_lr surface, in a way to be as similar as possible to the HCP 7T fMRI data. These data should have two important features that are typically seen in BOLD fMRI: spatial autocorrelation and temporal autocorrelation. For the spatial autocorrelation, we can start with Gaussian white noise data, then smooth them on the surface using wb_command. However, we are not sure what is the right procedure for implementing the temporal autocorrelation. Do you have any recommendations or a script/function to share with us? There are some tools for this purpose (e.g. SimTB), but they don’t seem to be optimized for generating simulated data on surface.

Thanks,
Reza

Glasser, Matt

May 11, 2022, 9:28:08 AM5/11/22
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org

Couldn’t you do something similar with temporal smoothing?  fslmaths or matlab could do temporal smoothing.

Matt.

Reza Rajimehr

May 11, 2022, 9:55:43 AM5/11/22
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org
Thank you Matt. Just wanted to make sure that the temporal smoothing is a right thing to do. With respect to the smoothing window, would 10 sec be appropriate, as the HRF typically takes about 10 seconds?

Glasser, Matt

May 11, 2022, 10:02:12 AM5/11/22
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org

Well you could convolve a random timeseries with an HRF in matlab also…

Reza Rajimehr

May 11, 2022, 10:18:38 AM5/11/22
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org
Oh yes, that is a right thing to do, thanks!