How to map T1w/T2w contrast to the Desikan-Killiany atlas?

Melissa Thalhammer

Jul 26, 2021, 10:10:41 AM7/26/21
to HCP-Users
Dear experts,

I am trying to map T1w/T2w contrast myelin maps to the Desikan-Killiany atlas parcellation and have followed the publication by King et al., 2019 for this
 (https://doi.org/10.1162/netn_a_00123). They recommend to use the “cifti-create-dense-from-template” and “cifti-parcellate” function, followed by  “aparcstats2table” in Freesurfer.

I have T1T2.nii files and tried to first convert them into cifti and then follow the description from above, but I got the warning in the attached file. Moreover, aparcstats2table requires the --meas (measurement) flag which specifies the measure that should be extracted (select from area, volume, thickness, meancurv, foldind, curvind - but not myelin map which is unitless...). I have tried to run it with the default --meas area flag, but Freesurfer automatically looks for the stats file, which is not available in the cifti-T1T2.nii file.

Does anyone have some tips?

Best,
Melissa Thalhammer
cifti-example.txt

Glasser, Matthew

Jul 26, 2021, 11:20:37 AM7/26/21
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org

I would:

  1. Process your structural data with the HCP pipelines (PreFreeSurfer, FreeSurfer, and PostFreeSurfer) so that you get T1w/T2w myelin maps properly mapped to the surface and in CIFTI files automatically.
  2. Use wb_command -cifti-parcellate with a parcellation that has structural and functional relevance, rather than simply using gyral and sulcal landmarks that do not have much relation to cortical areas.  An example parcellation is available here: https://balsa.wustl.edu/file/show/3VLx
  3. If you need the data outside of a CIFTI, you can convert to text with wb_command -cifti-convert -to-text <ParcellatedMyelin.pscalar.nii> <ParcellatedMyelin.csv> -col-delim “,”

It remains puzzling why folks keep using gyral and sulcal parcellations when multiple better options are available now.

Matt.

From: Melissa Thalhammer <melissa.tha...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, July 26, 2021 at 9:10 AM
To: HCP-Users <hcp-...@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: [hcp-users] How to map T1w/T2w contrast to the Desikan-Killiany atlas?

Dear experts,

I am trying to map T1w/T2w contrast myelin maps to the Desikan-Killiany atlas parcellation and have followed the publication by King et al., 2019 for this
 (https://doi.org/10.1162/netn_a_00123). They recommend to use the “cifti-create-dense-from-template” and “cifti-parcellate” function, followed by  “aparcstats2table” in Freesurfer.

I have T1T2.nii files and Image removed by sender.tried to first convert them into cifti and then follow the description from above, but I got the warning in the attached file. Moreover, aparcstats2table requires the --meas (measurement) flag which specifies the measure that should be extracted (select from area, volume, thickness, meancurv, foldind, curvind - but not myelin map which is unitless...). I have tried to run it with the default --meas area flag, but Freesurfer automatically looks for the stats file, which is not available in the cifti-T1T2.nii file.

Does anyone have some tips?

Best,

Melissa Thalhammer

Melissa Thalhammer

Jul 26, 2021, 12:46:47 PM7/26/21
to HCP-Users, glas...@wustl.edu
Thank you for your response!
Namely? I would be happy to hear of those!
Best,
Melissa

Coalson, Timothy Scott (S&T-Student)

Jul 26, 2021, 5:43:48 PM7/26/21
to HCP-Users, glas...@wustl.edu
The link he gave is to our HCP MMP parcellation, which uses resting state data, myelin, and some other functionally relevant measures, using a non-spatial classifier to automatically identify areas (that we (Matt, really) first painstakingly delineated in HCP group data based on literature and robust boundaries) in individual subjects by a combination of these features.

As a side note, -cifti-convert is not what you wanted, that command is only for taking data that is already cifti data and putting it into a format that can trick a non-cifti-aware tool (that doesn't use spatial information) into running on cifti data anyway (and then putting the result back into a proper cifti file).

Tim