HCP Early Psychosis Diffusion Data

Haley Wang

Nov 16, 2022, 12:38:56 PM11/16/22
to HCP-Users
Hello HCP team,

I am working on preprocessing the diffusion images of the HCP EP 1.1 dataset, and I notice that more than half of the subjects have weak signals in the orbitofrontal and subcallosal cortex, even on raw b0 images. I used the HCP pipeline for preprocessing, but topup and eddy could only fix the distortion, not the signal strength. The eddy-processed image of about 90 subjects misses this area on their masks, due to extremely low signal, which makes it hard for later high-level analyses. I'm curious if this is a known issue for you, and if you have any suggestions on how to handle it. Thank you so much for your time and help!

All the best,
Haley

Glasser, Matt

Nov 16, 2022, 12:40:58 PM11/16/22
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org

Can you send a picture of the b0 image after HCP Pipelines preprocessing (i.e., in ${StudyFolder}/${Subject}/T1w/Diffusion/data.nii.gz?

Matt.

Haley Wang

Nov 16, 2022, 12:49:32 PM11/16/22
to HCP-Users, glas...@wustl.edu
Yes - Here is subject 2029:

Screenshot 2022-11-16 094649.jpgScreenshot 2022-11-16 094841.jpg

Glasser, Matt

Nov 16, 2022, 12:50:58 PM11/16/22
to Haley Wang, HCP-Users

I would need to take a look at their diffusion MRI protocol PDF to comment further.  Perhaps Jenn or Mike has this?

Matt.

From: Haley Wang <hale...@g.ucla.edu>
Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 11:49 AM
To: HCP-Users <hcp-...@humanconnectome.org>
Cc: "Glasser, Matt" <glas...@wustl.edu>
Subject: Re: [hcp-users] HCP Early Psychosis Diffusion Data

Yes - Here is subject 2029:

Haley Wang

Nov 16, 2022, 12:54:33 PM11/16/22
to HCP-Users, glas...@wustl.edu, Elam, Jennifer, mha...@wustl.edu
Thank you, Matt!
I also noticed that, different from other HCP datasets with b values of 1000, 2000, and 3000, HCP EP has 500, 1500, and 3000. Is there any reason for this choice?

Best,
Haley

Glasser, Matt

Nov 16, 2022, 12:55:37 PM11/16/22
to Haley Wang, HCP-Users, Elam, Jennifer, Harms, Michael

I’m not sure.  I wasn’t involved in any of the CRHD projects.

Matt.

From: Haley Wang <hale...@g.ucla.edu>
Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 11:49 AM
To: HCP-Users <hcp-...@humanconnectome.org>
Cc: "Glasser, Matt" <glas...@wustl.edu>

Yes - Here is subject 2029:

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 9:40:58 AM UTC-8 glas...@wustl.edu wrote:

Can you send a picture of the b0 image after HCP Pipelines preprocessing (i.e., in ${StudyFolder}/${Subject}/T1w/Diffusion/data.nii.gz?

Matt.

Elam, Jennifer

Nov 16, 2022, 1:14:01 PM11/16/22
to Haley Wang, HCP-Users
HCP-EP's imaging protocols are based on the 2016 CCF template protocol with a total duration of approximately 70 minutes. HCP-EP collected data on three Siemens MAGNETOM Prisma 3T scanners at BWH, McLean, and IU. BWH and IU used a 32-channel head coi
Jenn

Nov 16, 2022, 1:16:33 PM11/16/22
to Haley Wang, HCP-Users, sylvai...@etsmtl.ca, Mike Coleman

Glasser, Matt

Nov 16, 2022, 3:22:20 PM11/16/22
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org, Haley Wang, sylvai...@etsmtl.ca, Mike Coleman

With respect to the specific concerns about signal loss in regions of susceptibility:

The flip angles are 78 and 160 degrees, rather than 90 and 180.  I don’t recall why that is, but it does potentially mean that we aren’t completely refocusing the spins in the areas with worst susceptibility.

Matt.

Harms, Michael

Nov 16, 2022, 10:07:23 PM11/16/22
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org, Glasser, Matt, Elam, Jennifer

HCP-Lifespan protocol also used shells of b = 1500 and 3000.

HCP-YA is what used b = 1000, 2000, and 3000.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30261308

--

Michael Harms, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Psychiatry

Department of Psychiatry, Box 8134

660 South Euclid Ave.                        Tel: 314-747-6173

St. Louis, MO  63110                          Email: mha...@wustl.edu

From: Haley Wang <hale...@g.ucla.edu>

Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 11:54 AM
To: HCP-Users <hcp-...@humanconnectome.org>

Cc: "Glasser, Matt" <glas...@wustl.edu>, "Elam, Jennifer" <el...@wustl.edu>, "Harms, Michael" <mha...@wustl.edu>

* External Email - Caution *

Thank you, Matt!

I also noticed that, different from other HCP datasets with b values of 1000, 2000, and 3000, HCP EP has 500, 1500, and 3000. Is there any reason for this choice?

Best,

Haley

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 9:50:58 AM UTC-8 glas...@wustl.edu wrote:

I would need to take a look at their diffusion MRI protocol PDF to comment further.  Perhaps Jenn or Mike has this?

Matt.

Harms, Michael

Nov 16, 2022, 10:14:33 PM11/16/22
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org, Haley Wang, sylvai...@etsmtl.ca, Mike Coleman

The dMRI acquisitions for HCP-EP appear to be the same as for HCP-Lifespan (except they collected some volumes with b=500 as well).

The flip angles of 78/160 are what we used for HCP-EP as well.  We intentionally “underflip” a little bit relative to the traditional 90/180, since the center of the brain tends to be “overflipped” if you call for 90/180.

I don’t see any reason that the HCP-EP dMRI data should be different from the HCP-Lifespan data.

Cheers,

-MH

From: "Glasser, Matt" <glas...@wustl.edu>
Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 2:22 PM
To: "hcp-...@humanconnectome.org" <hcp-...@humanconnectome.org>, Haley Wang <hale...@g.ucla.edu>, "sylvai...@etsmtl.ca" <sylvai...@etsmtl.ca>, Mike Coleman <m...@bwh.harvard.edu>

* External Email - Caution *

Haley Wang

Nov 21, 2022, 7:42:24 PM11/21/22
to Harms, Michael, hcp-...@humanconnectome.org, sylvai...@etsmtl.ca, Mike Coleman
Hi Michael and Matt,

Thank you for looking into this and for the additional information! Super helpful to know, thank you!

Best,
Haley
--
Haley R. Wang, M.S., M.A.
Doctoral Student in Clinical Psychology

Please note that this inbox is a CALM inbox and is only checked once in the AM and once in the PM. I will do my best to respond to your message within 24-48 hours unless it’s the weekend, then you can expect to hear from me on Monday.