Multi Echo Resting-state fMRI (rfMRI) Protocol?

Dr. Simon Maier

Jul 12, 2024, 1:56:15 PM (3 days ago) Jul 12
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org
Hello,

I would like to know if there are any considerations to integrate multi-echo sequences into the resting-state fMRI (rfMRI) protocol?

Thank you very much and best regards,

Simon

UNIVERSITÄTSKLINIKUM FREIBURG
Department für Psychische Erkrankungen
Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie
Experimentelle Neuropsychiatrie

Dr. Simon Maier
Biologe

Hauptstraße 5 · 79104 Freiburg
Telefon: +49 761 270-65530
Email: simon...@uniklinik-freiburg.de
Homepage: https://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/psych.html

Glasser, Matthew

Jul 14, 2024, 11:38:45 AM (2 days ago) Jul 14
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org
We did some work to get multi-echo supported by the HCP Pipelines as I had high hopes that it would improve fCNR as has been previously reported (and that one can see with some simplistic MR physical modeling). Unfortunately, when I did the head-to-head test that is not what I found (multi-echo was not bad, just not quite as good as a directly comparable single echo scan). This could be because prior literature has not accurately reported the multi-echo protocols including all variables that affect SNR/resolution and that effects of using different kinds of ICA denoising are being conflated with multi-echo fMRI. Thus, at this point I would recommend sticking with an optimized single echo scan.

Matt.
Email: simon...@uniklinik-freiburg.de <mailto:simon...@uniklinik-freiburg.de>
Homepage: https://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/psych.html <https://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/psych.html>

Andreas Bartsch

Jul 14, 2024, 7:08:34 PM (2 days ago) Jul 14
to hcp-...@humanconnectome.org
hi,
yes - this is my impression, too.
cheers,