HOT Data Quality Internship 2021 - what is it and how you can get involved

Arnalie Vicario

Jul 14, 2021, 10:33:37 AM7/14/21
to Community Working Group, activ...@hotosm.org, trai...@hotosm.org, dataq...@hotosm.org, gover...@hotosm.org, tec...@hotosm.org, sum...@hotosm.org
Hello Working Group members, how are you? :)

We want to make you  aware of HOT's planned 2021 Data Quality Internship before the Call for Applicants goes live. Please see below details on what the program is, what it aims to do, how you can get involved, and who to contact if you have any questions, ideas or suggestions to make the program more exciting and engaging.

Summary (TL;DR):

HOT Data Quality Internship is a 12-week programme (starting in September) that aims to build validation capacity, create new OSM champions, and build intern’s networks and professional development in the geospatial sector. Interns will receive live training in a wide range of geospatial tools and they will end up becoming experienced validators, equipped to join and support the validation community.

Working Group members can get involved by helping the promotion of the Call for Applications and/or be a resource speaker in one of the sessions (Check out the Training Schedule and let us know if you are interested to speak on a topic or open a topic that would be great for the Internship!)

Expanded Details:

Background: What is the data quality internship?

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team’s (HOT) Data Quality Internship is a twelve week programme due to start in September 2021, building on the internship we ran in 2020. This training and professional development opportunity will allow participants to become deeply involved within the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team and community, while gaining transferable geospatial skills.

What is the aim of the program?

We built on the success of the Data Quality Internship 2020 and are trialling a revised and improved approach to:

  1. Build communities by creating new OSM champions

  2. Build validation capacity by training interns in a wide range of open geospatial tools and skills to perform data quality assurance

  3. Build the interns networks and professional development within the geospatial sector

What will the interns be doing?

Participants will be led through a series of webinars hosted by a range of professionals in the humanitarian mapping sector. Interns will receive live training in a wide range of geospatial tools and they will end up becoming experienced validators, equipped to join and support the validation community.

This is a full time (40 hours weekly) remote internship opportunity for 20 interns — applications are welcomed globally. Webinars will be recorded and, where possible, held twice to accommodate for maximum time zone coverage.

What’s the program timeline?

These slides outline the internship in some more detail.

Here is a summary of the timeline for this year:

  • July - HOT opens call for applications

  • August - Review of HOT's applicants

  • September - internship starts

  • November - internship ends

How can you get involved?

  • Opportunity for interns to join working groups - listen in to calls, learn from you, with the potential they may become active contributors in future. We’d welcome your thoughts on this if this is of interest & how best to do this!

  • Help promote the Call for Applications in your working groups and network

  • Be a resource speaker/trainer in one of the sessions! Check out the Training Schedule and let us know if you are interested to speak on a topic or open a topic related to the Internship!

I’ve got some ideas/questions, who do I contact?

Please feel free to reach directly out to me if you have any questions or would like to discuss anything about the Data Quality Internship this year. All thoughts and ideas welcomed!

=Arnalie (on behalf of HOT)

--
Arnalie Vicario
Online Community Engagement Lead