Proposed Welcome letter, near final draft

Blake Girardot

Dec 10, 2014, 4:53:58 PM12/10/14
to trai...@hotosm.org

I made a new hackpad document that was just text of the welcome letter,
edited down just a little bit more as I am wordy in my writing.

https://hackpad.com/Proposed-HOT-Welcome-Letter-NJqySkfCZfj

I also took out the mumble link (I have never seen anyone new on mumble
for asking a question) and put in a link to the osm crisis mapping forum
instead. 2 people have mentioned to me they would much prefer to use
forums over email list or irc so I figured there must be more people
like that. Heck, I am almost like that myself.

My main goals for the welcome email were: friendly, welcoming, where to
get help, and a couple of links to learning resources.

I kept the individual links to the learnosm site because I think the
navigation on that site can be a little confusing at the moment.

I propose that we put the final draft of the letter in the osm wiki
under the /Humanitarian_OSM_Team/ pages (not quite a namespace, but
close, not sure what it is called).

Putting it in the wiki will also give us a place to put the translations
so we can put a link to the wiki version at top of the email by the
language listings, and clicking the link will take you to the wiki page
with the language options at the top. I'll make an example of that in
the wiki.

Anyway, this is just a first step, getting the text of the welcome
letter for the technical wg, there is still the issue that the TM2 does
not have any facility for sending actual emails at the moment and it
does raise some issues that I am sure will have to be discussed, the
biggest one being, we don't want to get whatever domain they are sent
from blacklisted as a spam sender.

A good first step might just be to have the tasking manager send the
letter via the tasking manager message system to the new user. No email
notification, but much better than nothing, which is what we have now.

But lets get an agreed upon final version of the welcome letter and move
forward from there.

cheers,
Blake

Tech note: This was sent via my Thunderbird email client directly to the
training email list, so I am curious if you get the phishing/scam warning.

althio forum

Dec 11, 2014, 8:04:19 AM12/11/14
to trai...@hotosm.org
I am very enthusiastic about the idea of several letters: first one
for Welcome (the spirit of your current letter) and a few others for
tips and pointers as guidance and training. I commented (pretty late)
on your first Hackpad 'Draft proposed Welcome Letter' about this.

> I made a new hackpad document that was just text of the welcome letter,
> edited down just a little bit more as I am wordy in my writing.
>
> https://hackpad.com/Proposed-HOT-Welcome-Letter-NJqySkfCZfj

Back to this Welcome letter. If I want to propose or modify anything
for your consideration and review, would you prefer me:
* to edit in-place this new HackPad 'Proposed HOT Welcome Letter'
* to create a new Hackpad based on yours (kind of fork) so that you
can compare the two versions

> Tech note: This was sent via my Thunderbird email client directly to the
> training email list, so I am curious if you get the phishing/scam warning.

You are not a scam today.

Nick Allen (Tallguy)

Dec 14, 2014, 9:13:16 AM12/14/14
to trai...@hotosm.org, bgir...@gmail.com
Blake,
I like it - i've put a couple of comments inline on the hackpad document - they are only minor and I'd be happy to go with your original if you prefer.

Nick

Blake Girardot

Dec 14, 2014, 10:37:29 AM12/14/14
to Nick Allen (Tallguy), trai...@hotosm.org

I edited your suggested changes into the letter, thank you for helping
smooth it out :)

Cheers,
Blake

Claire Halleux

Dec 14, 2014, 5:39:45 PM12/14/14
to Blake Girardot, Nick Allen (Tallguy), trai...@hotosm.org
Blake,
My mailbox never considered you as a scam (with or without thunderbird).
I think managing translations of that letter through wiki is brilliant as any language could be added and edited easily.
Regarding the last version of the welcome letter, it's great! I still think you could add your name (or another one if you prefer) in the first introducing line, and/or in the signature. But that's basically it.
Cheers

Claire

Claire Halleux
Volunteer and Member of the Board
+243 99 256 9980 (Kinshasa, DRC)
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team

althio

Feb 19, 2015, 4:38:45 PM2/19/15
to trai...@hotosm.org
Hi,

We (Claire and I) finished our French translation of the TM Welcome Letter.
We think it is a good idea to include a bit of formatting and headings
so that things stand out a bit more. The actual letter is slightly
shorter, with details and links in subsequent parts.
We also included our names to put some French touch in it.

See the results (at least the formatting) at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Humanitarian_OSM_Team/TM_Welcome_Letter

Do you like how it looks?

Do you think we could apply some ideas in the English letter?

Do other translators want also to personalise or edit more freely
their own version?

Benoît - althio

Nick Allen

Feb 19, 2015, 5:39:10 PM2/19/15
to althio, trai...@hotosm.org
althio,

Thanks for doing this. I've had a look through - I'm afraid my language skills are not good enough to comment on the content - the ability to order a cup of coffee doesn't help here.

I did spot though that you've linked to the English versions of http://learnosm.org/en/beginner/start-josm/ - I've had a quick look and the French version is present. I haven't altered your wiki page in case you were aware & had a reason to not use it.

The same is true of the wiki main page - the French version is present.

Regards

Nick

althio

Feb 19, 2015, 6:02:07 PM2/19/15
to Nick Allen, trai...@hotosm.org
Nick,

Good catches all around! I will correct these.

Thanks for the keen eye.