HEADS UP: Slight virtual memory regression in 14-CURRENT

Shawn Webb

Aug 22, 2023, 3:58:58 PM8/22/23
to HardenedBSD Users
Hey all,

In an attempt to reduce our diff against FreeBSD in `sys/vm`, I
introduced a slight regression in that our PaX NOEXEC-inspired strict
W^X implementation is a bit too strict. This mostly affects
applications that use a JIT compiler (Firefox, Chrome, NodeJS, etc.)
will need both PaX PAGEEXEC and PaX MPROTECT disabled for them.

I plan to carve off a good chunk of time this weekend to dive into the
issue and come up with a fix. I'd like to fix this before our next
automated build process starts.

But, hey, being too strict in applying security policy is better than
being too lax. :-)

I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for the patience and understanding.

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer