Announcing new git server

Shawn Webb

Feb 22, 2021, 3:08:19 PM2/22/21
to HardenedBSD Users
Hey all,

As we saw over the weekend, I grew incredibly tired of the continuous
performance issues of Gitea. Not even moving it to a newer server with
pretty decent specs could make Gitea work well in our environment.

We're migrating to a self-hosted GitLab instance[1]. User accounts did
not transfer over. If you created an account on our Gitea instance,
you'll want to do so again for the GitLab instance. I apologize for
the inconvenience.

I have help from the HardenedBSD Foundation Board of Directors
(specifically, Ben La Monica) to maintain this GitLab instance.

I've yet to set up the Tor onion service for this new instance. I'll
update this email thread when I get that working.

I've added two[2][3] mailing lists[4] as part of the transition to
GitLab. The src-commits-all mailing list receives emails whenever a
commit to hardenedbsd/HardenedBSD.git is pushed. The ports-commits-all
mailing list receives emails whenever a commit to
hardenedbsd/hardenedbsd-ports.git is pushed.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

[1]: https://git.hardenedbsd.org/
[2]: https://groups.google.com/a/hardenedbsd.org/forum/#!forum/src-commits-all
[3]: https://groups.google.com/a/hardenedbsd.org/forum/#!forum/ports-commits-all

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer

GPG Key ID: 0xFF2E67A277F8E1FA
GPG Key Fingerprint: D206 BB45 15E0 9C49 0CF9 3633 C85B 0AF8 AB23 0FB2
https://git-01.md.hardenedbsd.org/HardenedBSD/pubkeys/src/branch/master/Shawn_Webb/03A4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc
signature.asc

Shawn Webb

Feb 23, 2021, 5:53:52 PM2/23/21
to HardenedBSD Users
On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 03:08:16PM -0500, Shawn Webb wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> As we saw over the weekend, I grew incredibly tired of the continuous
> performance issues of Gitea. Not even moving it to a newer server with
> pretty decent specs could make Gitea work well in our environment.
>
> We're migrating to a self-hosted GitLab instance[1]. User accounts did
> not transfer over. If you created an account on our Gitea instance,
> you'll want to do so again for the GitLab instance. I apologize for
> the inconvenience.
>
> I have help from the HardenedBSD Foundation Board of Directors
> (specifically, Ben La Monica) to maintain this GitLab instance.
>
> I've yet to set up the Tor onion service for this new instance. I'll
> update this email thread when I get that working.
>
> I've added two[2][3] mailing lists[4] as part of the transition to
> GitLab. The src-commits-all mailing list receives emails whenever a
> commit to hardenedbsd/HardenedBSD.git is pushed. The ports-commits-all
> mailing list receives emails whenever a commit to
> hardenedbsd/hardenedbsd-ports.git is pushed.
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.
>
> [1]: https://git.hardenedbsd.org/
> [2]: https://groups.google.com/a/hardenedbsd.org/forum/#!forum/src-commits-all
> [3]: https://groups.google.com/a/hardenedbsd.org/forum/#!forum/ports-commits-all

The Tor onion service is (mostly) back up. I need to figure out how to
either tell GitLab's embedded nginx to support multiple hostnames or
use my own nginx instance.

Note that I've updated the ssh host public keys on our site[1]. I've
also attached them to this email.

[1]: https://hardenedbsd.org/content/hardenedbsd-infrastructure
ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
ssh_host_ed25519_key.pub