build failures in -CURRENT

Dustin Marquess

Oct 6, 2021, 4:32:37 PM10/6/21
to HardenedBSD Users
Is anybody else seeing build failures in -CURRENT in 'makeworld' with ld saying that it can't find -ltinfow, which is strange since it seems to be there and built.

I thought maybe this was an upstream issue, but I don't see anybody on the FreeBSD -CURRENT list complaining, so either I'm just the only one seeing it, or else it's something in HBSD that is hitting it.

Reverting the 6 ncurses-related commits from Baptiste Daroussin a couple of days ago seems to get it going again, but I hate backing out commits unless there's a good reason...

-Dustin

Shawn Webb

Oct 6, 2021, 4:34:52 PM10/6/21
to Dustin Marquess, HardenedBSD Users, ba...@freebsd.org
I saw the same thing earlier today when I decided to apply updates to
my laptop.

I'm looping in Baptiste with this email.

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer

https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/pubkeys/-/raw/master/Shawn_Webb/03A4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc
signature.asc

Baptiste Daroussin

Oct 6, 2021, 4:39:32 PM10/6/21
to Shawn Webb, Dustin Marquess, HardenedBSD Users
On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 04:34:50PM -0400, Shawn Webb wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 03:32:25PM -0500, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> > Is anybody else seeing build failures in -CURRENT in 'makeworld' with ld
> > saying that it can't find -ltinfow, which is strange since it seems to be
> > there and built.
> >
> > I thought maybe this was an upstream issue, but I don't see anybody on the
> > FreeBSD -CURRENT list complaining, so either I'm just the only one seeing
> > it, or else it's something in HBSD that is hitting it.
> >
> > Reverting the 6 ncurses-related commits from Baptiste Daroussin a couple of
> > days ago seems to get it going again, but I hate backing out commits unless
> > there's a good reason...
>
> I saw the same thing earlier today when I decided to apply updates to
> my laptop.
>
> I'm looping in Baptiste with this email.
>
> Thanks,

It would be interesting to get:
1/ the logs
2/ the context: on what you do you build (which version)
3/ is it reproducible on vanilla freebsd

I have 0 report of a failure in that area, but the logs can help telling which
Makefile leads to the complain about the missing libtinfow.

Best regards,
Bapt

Dustin Marquess

Oct 6, 2021, 4:45:39 PM10/6/21
to Baptiste Daroussin, Shawn Webb, HardenedBSD Users
Sounds good! Let me revert my local revert and run it without -j so I can get a clearer picture and I'll send an update.

Thanks for the assistance!
-Dustin

Dustin Marquess

Oct 7, 2021, 12:29:29 AM10/7/21
to Baptiste Daroussin, Shawn Webb, HardenedBSD Users
Okay, sorry it took so long, as it took a while for a single-threaded make buildworld to finish.

The strange thing is I was unable to reproduce it without -j, but with -j even 10 runs back-to-back hit it every single time.

This is where it fails:

cc -target x86_64-unknown-freebsd14.0 --sysroot=/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp -B/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/usr/bin  -O2 -pipe -O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe -fno-common -DHARDENEDBSD -I/usr/src/crypto/heimdal/lib/asn1 -I/usr/src/crypto/heimdal/lib/roken  -I/usr/src/contrib/com_err -I. -march=haswell  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/src/kerberos5/include -DNDEBUG -mretpoline -ftrivial-auto-var-init=zero -enable-trivial-auto-var-init-zero-knowing-it-will-be-removed-from-clang -fPIC -flto -MD  -MF.depend.extra.o -MTextra.o -std=gnu99 -Wno-format-zero-length -fstack-protector-strong -Wsystem-headers -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-absolute-value -Wno-empty-body -Wno-string-plus-int -Wno-unused-const-variable -Wno-tautological-compare -Wno-unused-value -Wno-parentheses-equality -Wno-unused-function -Wno-enum-conversion -Wno-unused-local-typedef -Wno-address-of-packed-member -Wno-switch -Wno-switch-enum -Wno-knr-promoted-parameter -Wno-parentheses  -Qunused-arguments    -c /usr/src/crypto/heimdal/lib/asn1/extra.c -o extra.o
--- lib/ncurses/ncurses__L ---
ld: error: unable to find library -ltinfow
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
*** [libncursesw.so.9] Error code 1

make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/ncurses/ncurses

-Dustin

Baptiste Daroussin

Oct 7, 2021, 3:05:34 AM10/7/21
to Dustin Marquess, Shawn Webb, HardenedBSD Users
It sounds like a race, I would need more lines of the logs, a full log would
help as I need to know at which stage it failed etc.

Best regards,
Bapt

Baptiste Daroussin

Oct 7, 2021, 3:10:26 AM10/7/21
to Dustin Marquess, Shawn Webb, HardenedBSD Users
https://cgit.FreeBSD.org/src/commit/?id=4d7876aa70e2b7c7c941399a61b6f5e5f8fee088

I think that should fix your case.

Best regards,
Bapt

Dustin Marquess

Oct 7, 2021, 4:01:07 AM10/7/21
to Baptiste Daroussin, Shawn Webb, HardenedBSD Users
Full log is @ https://fdf.net/buildworld.log.xz just in case.  I'll check your commit in the morning after the hbsd sync runs.

Thanks!
-Dustin

Dustin Marquess

Oct 7, 2021, 4:28:42 AM10/7/21
to Baptiste Daroussin, Shawn Webb, HardenedBSD Users
Okay, so Shawn's sync had already ran and picked up that commit, so I managed to kick off a build while I prepared for bed, and...

>>> World build completed on Thu Oct  7 03:26:21 CDT 2021
>>> World built in 1460 seconds, ncpu: 32, make -j33

Much better!  That commit indeed seems to have fixed the issue!

Thanks Bapt for the help, and sorry Shawn, for cluttering the HBSD list :)

-Dustin

Shawn Webb

Oct 7, 2021, 8:38:36 AM10/7/21
to Dustin Marquess, Baptiste Daroussin, HardenedBSD Users
You're fine. That's what this list is for. :-)
signature.asc