HardenedBSD August 2021 Status Report

Shawn Webb

Aug 31, 2021, 10:18:25 AM8/31/21
to HardenedBSD Users
Hey all,

This month was spent in writing utilities and libraries for
HardenedBSD's infrastructure. I wrote a little library, called
liblattzfs, to help our infrastructure monitoring daemon (hbsdmon)
monitor the various ZFS pools on our systems. Though liblattzfs is
developed out-of-tree, I've already merged it into the source tree.

I also worked on another library, liblattutil, to make it so that our
applications can have one centralized logging API. It also has a nifty
SQLite3 wrapper. One could use this wrapper to convert a SQLite3
query's result to JSON. :-)

I created a new little application (rync) to convert our
every-six-hour auto-sync scripts from csh to C.

I also disabled CFI for wpa_supplicant. It's my hope that one day,
I/we finally get Cross-DSO CFI working in base so that we can re-add
CFI to some of these applications. I'm hoping to get back to Cross-DSO
CFI work in the coming week.

FreeBSD released some securty advisories, so I made sure that we had
binary updates released in a timely fashion. The package builds are
still running.

FreeBSD updated ports-mgmt/pkg from 1.16.3 to 1.17.1, introducing some
major changes that caused issues with our package repo. It took me a
few days to find and resolve the issues. If anyone else notices any
issues with the package repo itself, please let me know.

Loic reported an issue with randompid calculation, so I fixed that. He
also fixed a few ports and researched the failures of a few others.
Loic also fixed a few ports.

Overall, August was a month spent on HardenedBSD's auxiliary
applications with the goal of enhanced stability.

liblattzfs: https://git.hardenedbsd.org/shawn.webb/liblattzfs
liblattutil: https://git.hardenedbsd.org/shawn.webb/liblattutil
rync: https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/rync

Thanks,