fq_codel or CAKE implementation

Mark D.

Feb 16, 2021, 12:52:22 AM2/16/21
to HardenedBSD Users

Hello everyone!

 I was wondering if there is any work being done on the network stack side to implement AQM such as fq_codel or CAKE? HardenedBSD is used in a few firewall/router OSes and I think having some form of active queue management at the kernel level would help those projects immensely. I am a user of OPNsense, based on HardenedBSD, that would like to help out both projects in any way I can. I'm not a developer, but I am more than willing to help and learn as much as I can.

Regards,
Mark Denkert

Mark Felder

Feb 16, 2021, 8:49:28 AM2/16/21
to us...@hardenedbsd.org
Hi Mark,

fq_codel is already implemented in FreeBSD via the IPFW firewall. I also see fq_pie in the man page, but I haven't heard of CAKE before.

snippet from my config, where I limit my download/ingress to 220Mbit/s (not necessary)

ipfw pipe 1 config delay 0
ipfw pipe 2 config bw 220Mbit/s delay 0
ipfw sched 1 config pipe 1 type fq_codel target 5ms interval 30ms ecn
ipfw queue 1 config sched 1
ipfw queue 2 config sched 2

# QoS Rules - Early as possible!!!
ipfw add 00100 queue 1 ip from any to any out via re0
ipfw add 00101 queue 2 ip from any to any in via re0

Regards,

Mark