Using UFS in hypervisor only installation

Joel Carnat

Oct 6, 2023, 8:29:03 AM10/6/23
to HardenedBSD Users
Hi,

I’m investigating using HardenedBSD as a standalone hypervisor. I would go for the ESXi model: just the OS and Bhyve VMs. No extra daemons, no jails.
The server has two sets of disks. Two for the OS (hardware mirrored) and three for the VMs (hw raid5).

I plan to use ZFS for the vm storage (because dedup, encryption and compression). But I’d rather go for UFS when it comes to the system. (I’m used to OpenBSD so I fully trust UFS :)

Is this something supported or shall I rather go 100% ZFS?

Thanks.