Bootstrap loader halts (with build from Sat Aug 13 19:25:26 UTC)

Ilkka M

Aug 14, 2022, 1:22:19 AM8/14/22
to HardenedBSD Users
Latest HardenedBSD bootstrap loader fails with "BTX halted" dump.
I've confirmed this with three separate HBSD installations.

bootstrap loader version is:
FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1 (Sat Aug 13 19:25:26 UTC 2822 ro...@ci-06.md.hardenedbsd.lan)

Screenshot attached.

btxhalt.png

Loic

Aug 15, 2022, 4:01:12 AM8/15/22
to Ilkka M, HardenedBSD Users
Le Sat, 13 Aug 2022 22:22:19 -0700 (PDT),
Ilkka M <ilkka....@nodefield.com> a écrit :
Hi,

Is the problem related only to the CURRENT version?

There have been many upstream changes in FreeBSD:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/commits/main/stand

Can you please test to see if you have any problems with this version?
https://ci-01.nyi.hardenedbsd.org/pub/hardenedbsd/current/amd64/amd64/build-950/

Thanks,

--
Loic
dev team

Ilkka M

Aug 15, 2022, 4:08:44 AM8/15/22
to HardenedBSD Users, loi...@hardenedbsd.org, HardenedBSD Users, Ilkka M
Yes, this is with the CURRENT version and with FreeBSD bootstrap loader compiled at Sat Aug 13 19:25:26 UTC

Affected systems did hbsd-update to latest CURRENT during Aug 13 -> 14 night and reboot next morning with updated loader failed.

I have not tried to get these systems to boot yet. What is the fastest workaround for fixing/bypassing the halting version of bootstrap loader so that I can test the build-950?

With best regards,
IM

Ilkka M

Aug 15, 2022, 4:22:05 AM8/15/22
to HardenedBSD Users, Ilkka M, loi...@hardenedbsd.org, HardenedBSD Users
Just tested with build-950 bootonly.iso and it boots in the affected servers ok.

Shawn Webb

Aug 15, 2022, 11:42:07 AM8/15/22
to Ilkka M, HardenedBSD Users, loi...@hardenedbsd.org
Thanks for the report! Once the latest 14-CURRENT/amd64 package build
is finished and published, I plan to wait a few days then kick off a
new build (with a matching hbsd-update build as well).

Thanks,

Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer
HardenedBSD

https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/pubkeys/-/raw/master/Shawn_Webb/03A4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc
signature.asc

Ilkka M

Aug 15, 2022, 12:48:06 PM8/15/22
to HardenedBSD Users, Shawn Webb, HardenedBSD Users, loi...@hardenedbsd.org, Ilkka M
Great!

Workaround for fixing the boot for installed HBSD systems with ZFS rootfs:

1. Boot with build-950 (or earlier) ISO and drop to shell
2. Mount ZFS root
3. Copy /boot/loader from to <rootfs>/boot/
4. Remove ISO/CD and reboot

Notes:
- I used the bootonly.iso, but probably others will work too.
- Be careful not to copy loader.conf as ISO contains version without zfs_load=YES, preventing booting into ZFS rootfs.
- Also systems with UEFI might need to copy 'loader.efi' instead of/in addition to ''loader' (I did not test this)

See attached image for commands I used:
btxworkaround.png

Loic

Aug 15, 2022, 2:18:24 PM8/15/22
to Ilkka M, HardenedBSD Users, Shawn Webb
Thanks for your solution, I just created a page in the wiki[1] for this
or similar problem.

But I'm glad to see that you found a solution by yourself ;)

[1]https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/HardenedBSD/-/wikis/2%5D-Repair-the-system-with-a-installation-media-(draft)

Loic
dev team
HardenedBSD

Le Mon, 15 Aug 2022 09:48:06 -0700 (PDT),