Help with OpenJDK ports

Shawn Webb

Jun 30, 2022, 7:55:03 PM6/30/22
to HardenedBSD Users
Hey all,

It appears the OpenJDK ports have issues on HardenedBSD.

Here are the two symptoms I'm currently seeing:

1. Poudriere on the official 14-CURRENT/amd64 package build server
thinks that java/openjdk11 depends on itself, causing Poudriere to
halt.
2. Poudriere on my 14-CURRENT/amd64 development laptop does NOT think
that java/openjdk11 depends on itself. However, I told Poudriere to
build java/openjdk11 (and its dependencies only) rather than a full
package build (the full set of 32,000+ packages.)
* This means it's possible that one of the other OpenJDK ports
might cause a recursive dependency?
* The build still fails with a linker error[0].

Since my time is limited, and usually spent on HardenedBSD itself, I'm
formally requesting help from the HardenedBSD community to get OpenJDK
working again.

I'm hoping to hear back from the community by 08 Jul 2022. If I don't
hear back from the community by then, I'll likely mark the OpenJDK
ports as BROKEN.

[0]: http://ci-08.md.hardenedbsd.org/data/hardenedbsd-current_amd64-local/2022-06-20_13h53m28s/logs/errors/openjdk11-11.0.15+10.1.log

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer

https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/pubkeys/-/raw/master/Shawn_Webb/03A4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc
signature.asc

Shawn Webb

Jul 1, 2022, 7:00:55 PM7/1/22
to HardenedBSD Users
On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 07:55:00PM -0400, Shawn Webb wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> It appears the OpenJDK ports have issues on HardenedBSD.
>
> Here are the two symptoms I'm currently seeing:
>
> 1. Poudriere on the official 14-CURRENT/amd64 package build server
> thinks that java/openjdk11 depends on itself, causing Poudriere to
> halt.
> 2. Poudriere on my 14-CURRENT/amd64 development laptop does NOT think
> that java/openjdk11 depends on itself. However, I told Poudriere to
> build java/openjdk11 (and its dependencies only) rather than a full
> package build (the full set of 32,000+ packages.)
> * This means it's possible that one of the other OpenJDK ports
> might cause a recursive dependency?
> * The build still fails with a linker error[0].
>
> Since my time is limited, and usually spent on HardenedBSD itself, I'm
> formally requesting help from the HardenedBSD community to get OpenJDK
> working again.
>
> I'm hoping to hear back from the community by 08 Jul 2022. If I don't
> hear back from the community by then, I'll likely mark the OpenJDK
> ports as BROKEN.
>
> [0]: http://ci-08.md.hardenedbsd.org/data/hardenedbsd-current_amd64-local/2022-06-20_13h53m28s/logs/errors/openjdk11-11.0.15+10.1.log

Hey all,

It looks like I conflated two issues. It was lang/gcc11 that had the
issue causing Poudriere to halt. An earlier commit caused a circular
dependency on itself. I just fixed that.

So, we're good to go to keep the OpenJDK ports around. I apologize for
the noise here.

I believe, though, that we still have issues to resolve. lang/gcc11
doesn't build. So I'd like help from the HardenedBSD community in
fixing that.

There's a lot of work to be done in HardenedBSD. We can use all the
help we can get--and we are incredibly grateful for the help we
continuously receive.
signature.asc

Loic

Jul 19, 2022, 2:32:08 PM7/19/22
to Shawn Webb, HardenedBSD Users
Le Fri, 1 Jul 2022 19:00:51 -0400,
Shawn Webb <shawn...@hardenedbsd.org> a écrit :
Hi Shawn,

The OpenJDK build problems in CURRENT seem to be related to the commit
846ff4e9529104b008946f89b9fb3d3a27c13773 ("java/openjdk11: Restore
LLVM/Clang 13 workaround") and aa1ca89826b5669e623d868e447830aad01e6f1a
("java/openjdk8: Attempt to fix newer aarch64").

The backport of commit e406118f774154589b91dc8d84f7f0320766d5a4 with
forcing Clang 14 (I tested with java/openjdk11 without PIE) solves the
construction problem in CURRENT.

We therefore need "-Wno-error=unused-command-line-argument" (or
"-Wno-unused-command-line-argument") we may also need to
"-Wno-unused-but-set-parameter".

I will do some more tests on my side before proposing a merge request,
if you have some time don't hesitate to do it before me.

--
Loic
dev team

Loic