Re: [FSG-public] Tampa Ac unit

1 view

K4NPF

Jan 14, 2019, 5:42:48 PM1/14/19
to Florida Simulcast Group Public, tarc hamclub
Hi,

You can get an 8k window unit for about $125 at Lowes/Home Depot. An 11.5k unit would require 240V.

73's,

Bob   K4NPF

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019, 5:11 PM Byron Felts <bfelts....@gmail.com wrote:
Still dealing with this?  Sorry, just noticed the email to the group.

Do we have to buy a 208v-capable unit in that case?  Most units I find easily do 115V natively, not sure how this works for A/C unit power supplies/transformers.

Like this one .. a cheap 8k BTU 115V from Global for about $226.  (https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/air-conditioning/window-wall/window-air-conditioner-8000-btu-cool-energy-star-115v) It's under 24x24 so one of these (or something better) should work.

Byron

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 2:34 PM Bryan Fields <br...@flscg.org> wrote:
Ac unit has seized up in Tampa per Erron.  He unplugged it and it's about 90f
in the room now.

We need to get a replacement in there ASAP.  The installed unit was 8000 BTU
and it ran 24x7 keeping it cool in there.  I've been looking and we may want
to size up to a replacement, and there is 208v right by the unit if we want to
do that.

Our limiting factor is the 24x24 inch opening in the wall.

73's
--
Bryan Fields, W9CR
Florida Simulcast Group, Inc.

BODE III, BILL

Jan 14, 2019, 5:57:11 PM1/14/19
to K4NPF, Florida Simulcast Group Public, tarc hamclub

Do you have the make and model of the existing unit?  I have a friend in the business who might be able to locate the same unit, or a similar one.

Bill

--
Clubhouse open every Monday evening at 7:30 PM
General membership meeting on the first Monday of the month

Carl Shawver

Jan 14, 2019, 7:41:06 PM1/14/19
to ta...@hamclub.org

I must have missed the earlier message about the a/c unit failing, but I note the subsequent discussion about whether to get a 240 volt unit or a 110 volt unit.  The operating cost for a 110 volt unit will be extremely high for the usage at the club house.

W4EIB

SEG669

Jan 15, 2019, 5:23:08 AM1/15/19
to ta...@hamclub.org, Carl Shawver
240v/208v unit would be better as it will draw from both phases, less likely to mess with circuit radios are on. Don't think it will save money over a 120v unit. What voltage was the unit in there? Do you know if the 208v outlet next to it works?
Steve N1CZZ

Christopher Blake

Jan 15, 2019, 5:50:03 AM1/15/19
to SEG669, TARC 4719, Carl Shawver, BODE, BILL (ATTSI)
Hi All,
Sounds like a FB idea to add a small AC to the shack, but I have one request -
please plan on adding a new dedicated power outlet (either 220VAC or 110VAC) for the unit that is separate than what we currently have wired.  I know that both Lee and I (and perhaps others) use the existing 220VAC outlet near the antenna panel for our amplifiers, and the 110VAC outlets are pretty much full.

If we're going to do this then let's do so with wiring, breaker and outlet that is dedicated to powering the unit.  Also recommend EMI filtering on the power outlet to the unit.

Thanks for your consideration.

73,
Chris, NX4N

Bill Bode

Jan 15, 2019, 6:14:13 AM1/15/19
to Christopher Blake, SEG669, TARC 4719, Carl Shawver, BODE, BILL (ATTSI)
I don’t think this discussion is about a unit for the club, but for a communication cabinet Bryan has.  Keep me honest if I’m off the mark.

73, Bill

Sent from my iPhone

Luis V Romero (mobile)

Jan 15, 2019, 9:31:22 AM1/15/19
to ta...@hamclub.org, bod...@gmail.com
Folks, this is for the shack where the Florida simulcast group repeaters are located in. It has nothing to do with the Tampa amateur radio club clubhouse. I have no idea how it got on the TARC list, but no worries it’s being handled.

Thanks for the input however!

Luis W4LT

Sent from my iPhone