Hydrogen T-Shirt Cannon Working Group Signup

Max Bareiss

Aug 16, 2022, 6:16:58 PM8/16/22
to Hacksburg Discussion List
To All:
     Hacksburg will be making a hydrogen-powered t-shirt cannon for the VT CRC Game Changer Week (September 12-15). We will have a meeting each week (at minimum) until then in order to plan and build the device. If you're interested, please sign up with your potential meeting times here: https://www.when2meet.com/?16419453-5c7mV . In about a week, I'll pick a meeting time and we'll get started. The first couple of meetings will be in-person + online, but after that we're probably going to be building the device, and there won't be much to do online. Please email the board if you have any questions.

From,
     Max

Max Bareiss

Aug 24, 2022, 10:41:44 AM8/24/22
to Hacksburg Discussion List
To All:
     These meetings will be on Thursdays at 6:00PM, and the first one will be tomorrow. You can join in-person or at https://meet.hacksburg.org/OpenGroupMeeting . As we get closer to the September 15 due date and start building the device, t-shirt cannon meetings might be in-person only.

From,
     Max

John Hutchinson

Aug 25, 2022, 6:09:18 PM8/25/22
to Max Bareiss, Hacksburg Discussion List
If you are meeting at the workshop tonight, please turn on the computer and join the jitsi meeting. There should be no password required.

John Hutchinson | Board of Directors
Hacksburg, Blacksburg's Workshop
Hacksburg.org

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 6:16 PM Max Bareiss <m...@hacksburg.org> wrote:
To All:
     Hacksburg will be making a hydrogen-powered t-shirt cannon for the VT CRC Game Changer Week (September 12-15). We will have a meeting each week (at minimum) until then in order to plan and build the device. If you're interested, please sign up with your potential meeting times here: https://www.when2meet.com/?16419453-5c7mV . In about a week, I'll pick a meeting time and we'll get started. The first couple of meetings will be in-person + online, but after that we're probably going to be building the device, and there won't be much to do online. Please email the board if you have any questions.

From,
     Max

John Hutchinson

Aug 25, 2022, 8:23:32 PM8/25/22
to Hacksburg Discussion List
Thank you to everyone who participated in the meeting tonight. There was a lot of good discussion on how the t-shirt launcher could work and how to address safety concerns. The meeting notes can be found at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dg504bpOdNuL0hPfK1t47SZLrYer2D-wx6xQOP9CPSU/

It was decided that potato cannon construction techniques could be used with a Schedule 40 steel pipe for a combustion chamber and a clear plastic tube for the t-shirt barrel. The main outstanding concern is how to prevent hydrogen detonation (as opposed to slower burning) as detonation increases  the sound level when firing and the risk of the t-shirt launcher failing catastrophically. Some different ideas have been proposed and are outlined in the meeting notes.

I plan to bring the hydrogen generator to Hacksburg on Saturday to experiment with different methods of preventing detonation. Stay tuned for a future email with the time for that.

John Hutchinson

James Dunson

Aug 31, 2022, 12:31:54 PM8/31/22
to Hacksburg Discussion List, John Hutchinson, James Dunson
Based on some discussion with John after the meeting last night, I
threw together a rough sketch (attached) of a possible design to
iterate on using mostly readily available hardware store parts.

** James **

--
James R. Dunson
Unix Systems Administrator, VT Department of Geosciences

John Hutchinson

Sep 4, 2022, 12:21:07 AM9/4/22
to Hacksburg Discussion List
Hi All,

On Thursday we started experimenting with combusting hydrogen and made some bangs! Unfortunately, we didn't have the right tap for mounting the spark plug/igniter, but I picked it up today and we are planning on meeting tomorrow to fully assemble the combustion chamber and perform some more experiments. I am planning on showing up around 1 pm, hopefully that works for everyone.

image.png

Also, if you aren't already aware, there is a hydrogen cannon channel on zulip for more casual back and forth discussion: https://chat.hacksburg.org/#narrow/stream/11-Classes-and-Events/topic/Hydrogen.20Cannon.20.F0.9F.92.A5

John