science talks

gippgig

Jan 10, 2014, 4:08:52 AM1/10/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Here is an INCOMPLETE (I hope to add more; additions welcome) list of science talks:
U. of Md. Observatory open houses - www.astro.umd.edu/openhouse
NCA (U. Md. Observatory) - capitalastronomers.org (special meeting Jan. 11 at a lab where researchers plan to spin a giant sphere of liquid sodium in an attempt to recreate the earth's magnetic field)
NoVAC (GMU) - www.novac.com/wp/outreach/meetings/
ASG (Owens Science Center) - www.greenbeltastro.org/events.shtml
HAL (Robinson Nature Center) - www.howardastro.org/meetings.php
NASM - airandspace.si.edu/events/
Public Lecture Series (STScI) - hubblesite.org/about_us/public_talks/
Rockville Science Cafe (Branded '72) - www.rockvillesciencecenter.org (Rockville Science Day Apr. 6)
Capital Science Evenings (Carnegie Inst.) - carnegiescience.edu/events/lectures
Neighborhood Lecture Series (Carnegie Inst. BBR campus) - carnegiescience.edu/nls
D.C. Science Cafe (Busboys and Poets) - www.dcswa.org/dc-science-cafe
Cafe Scientifique (NSF, The Front Page Restaurant) - www.arlingtonvirginiausa.com/major-initiatives/the-ballston-science-technology-alliance/bsta-programs/
Goddard SFC (restricted access) - www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/visitor/events/colloquia-seminars.html
GMU Observatory - physics.gmu.edu/~hgeller/observing.html

Kevin Cole

Jan 10, 2014, 8:02:16 AM1/10/14
to HacDC Public Discussion
And one more for your collection.

DC Art Science Evening Rendezvous (DASER) from the Cultural Programs
of the National Academy of Sciences (CPNAS)
http://www.cpnas.org/events/experience-future-events-daser.html

Erica S. Kane

Jan 10, 2014, 6:23:20 PM1/10/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
These are great -- can we add them to the wiki?

Erica

--
-------------
Erica S. Kane

Bobby Baum

Jan 11, 2014, 4:55:02 AM1/11/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
I hope so. There are also talks at the APS in College Park but I
misplaced the info.

gippgig

Mar 9, 2014, 5:01:26 AM3/9/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
www.aps.org/units/maspg/ for the APS talks at the American Center for Physics in College Park usually on the 3rd Wednesday at 1PM.

gippgig

Mar 27, 2014, 4:24:31 AM3/27/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Has HacDC considered having its own series of science talks (besides the rare lightning talks)? There is a lot of research going on in the area (another example: www.spacedaily.com/reports/Researchers_see_Kelvin_wave_on_quantum_tornado_for_first_time_999.html) so there should be no shortage of possible speakers.

Katie Bechtold

Mar 27, 2014, 2:21:49 PM3/27/14
to HacDC Public Discussion

If you're volunteering to coordinate them, I'll bet people would be receptive. http://wiki.hacdc.org/index.php/How_to_Run_an_Event has a bunch of information about how to do so.

gippgig

Jul 29, 2014, 1:59:46 AM7/29/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Aug. 3 - 2:30 PM - The Planetary Society - Space elevators -  Arlington Central Library auditorium (1015 N. Quincy St., Arlington, Va. 22201)
        4 - 1 PM - APS - Cosmology and the Cosmic Microwave Background - American Center for Physics
        5 - 8 PM - STScI - The Frontier Fields: a Sneak Peek at the First Billion years of the Universe
             9 PM - UMd Obs. - A Journey Among Galaxies: From Nearby to Far Away
       10 - 7 PM - NoVAC - Theory and Production of Gravity Waves
       19 - 7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - Microbiology of Food
       21 - 7:30 PM - HAL - ?
       25 - 8 PM - GMU - ?
      28 - 7:30 PM - ASG - ?

gippgig

Jul 29, 2014, 4:42:55 AM7/29/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
DISREGARD THE PREVIOUS ENTRY (is there any way to delete it?). Let's try again...
August events:

3 - 2:30 PM - The Planetary Society - Space elevators -  Arlington Central Library auditorium (1015 N. Quincy St., Arlington, Va. 22201)
4 - 1 PM - APS - Cosmology and the Cosmic Microwave Background - American Center for Physics
5 - 8 PM - STScI - The Frontier Fields: a Sneak Peek at the First Billion years of the Universe
     9 PM - UMd Obs. - A Journey Among Galaxies: From Nearby to Far Away
10 - 7 PM - NoVAC - Theory and Production of Gravity Waves
12 - 7:30 PM - HacDC

19 - 7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - Microbiology of Food
20 - 9 PM - UMd. Obs. - Astronomy from 40,000 Feet: Observing with NASA's SOFIA

M AV

Jul 29, 2014, 2:46:43 PM7/29/14
to bla...@hacdc.org

thx - this is great info, much appreciated, cheers!

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 01:42:55 -0700
From: gip...@gmail.com
To: Bla...@hacdc.org
Subject: [HacDC:Blabber] Re: science talks
Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here: http://hacdc.org/membership/

shawn wilson

Jul 29, 2014, 7:05:39 PM7/29/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Can someone talk to some of these hosts into providing the audio? It would be cool to make podcasts of this stuff.

gippgig

Aug 13, 2014, 3:11:39 AM8/13/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
The topic of the Aug. 19 Rockville Science Cafe is now given as "No Butts About It: Tobacco - Truth and Fiction".

Bobby Baum

Aug 24, 2014, 1:45:24 AM8/24/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Add Aug. 27 - 1PM - APS - Laboratory Simulation and Planetary Dynamos
- special location: UMd. Energy Research Facility
(www.ipr.umd.edu/about/directions) (see NCA in the original entry)

On 8/13/14, gippgig <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The topic of the Aug. 19 Rockville Science Cafe is now given as "No Butts
> About It: Tobacco - Truth and Fiction".

gippgig

Aug 29, 2014, 3:09:56 AM8/29/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

September events:
2 - 6:15PM - Cafe Scientifique
     8PM - STScI -  Seeing Planets Around Other Suns: First Light with the Gemini Planet Imager
5 - 9PM - UMd. Observatory - Death by Black Hole
8 - 8PM - GMU Observatory
9 - 7:30PM - HacDC
11 - 6:30PM - MAA - Social Justice, Mathematics, and the Legacy of Lee Lorch (registration required)
13 - 1:30PM - NCAS - The Secrets of Alchemy: Rethinking the Scientific Revolution
       7:30PM - NCA - Objects that can collide with the Earth
14 - 7PM - NoVAC
15 - 6:30PM - DC Science Cafe - Where leading-edge science and cultural treasures meet
16 - 7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - The Calculus of Calories
17 - 1PM- APS - Collisions in Space: The Threat of Asteroid Impacts
18 - 6PM - DASER - deep time (registration required)
       7:30PM - HAL
                       ASG
19 - 8PM - PSW - The Search for Life in the Solar System and Beyond: Habitats and Exotic Possibilities
20 - 9PM - UMd. Observatory - Comet Siding Spring's close approach to Mars
22 - 6:30PM - MAA - Mirror Image Symmetry from Different Viewpoints (registration required)
       8PM - GMU Observatory

PSW = Philosophical Society of Washington (JWP Aud.) - www.philsoc.org/
NCAS = National Capital Area Skeptics - www.ncas.org/ or (240) 670-NCAS
MAA = Mathematical Association of America (Carriage House) - maa.org/meetings/calendar-events

Idle thought - NCA is having terrible problems with their current website. Could HacDC provide them with a website?

Bobby Baum

Sep 13, 2014, 2:35:15 PM9/13/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
The topic of the Sept. 14 NoVAC meeting is radioastronomy that you can
do yourself from your back yard.

Bobby Baum

Sep 29, 2014, 12:52:25 AM9/29/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
October events
5 - 9PM - UMd. Observatory
6 - 7:30PM - GMU Observatory
7 - 8PM - STScI - Illustris: Computational Astronomy on a Massive Scale
9 - 6:30PM - Neighborhood Lecture Series - The Geology of Diamonds and
Why Yours is Remarkable!
10 - 8PM - PSW - Are We Alone In the Universe?
11 - 7:30PM - NCA - Disk detective - using WISE to find debris disks
around stars
12 - 7PM - NoVAC - Supermassive black holes
14 - 6:30PM - MAA - Martin Gardner: In His Own Words (registration required)
7:30PM - HacDC
16 - 6PM - DASER - technology and creativity (Every AlgoRiThm has ART
in it: Treemap Project) (registration & photo ID required)
6:45PM - Capital Science Evenings - Designer Genes: Ancient
Switches that Shape our Bodies, Brains, and Health
7:30PM - HAL
20 - 7:30PM - GMU Observatory
9PM - UMd. Observatory
21 - 6:30PM - DC Science Cafe - Infectious Diseases
7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - Apples from A to Z
23 - 6:30PM - MAA - Reproducing Statistical Results (registration required)
24 - 8PM - PSW - Quantum Entanglement
30 - 7:30PM - ASG

(Would it be possible to set up a list that can be continuously
updated rather than doing "batch processing"?)

Bobby Baum

Oct 12, 2014, 4:34:37 PM10/12/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Oct. 22 - 1PM - APS - Quantum computing
30 - 7:30 - ASG (special site - Greenbelt Community Center) - street
corner astronomy

MAV-DC

Oct 13, 2014, 10:20:14 AM10/13/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
hi - is the Oct 22 Quantum Computing talk at 1 pm at the APS - I can't seem to find anything on their websit . ... thx!

Bobby Baum

Oct 13, 2014, 3:59:59 PM10/13/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
That's what was announced at the Oct. 11 NCA meeting. I suggest
calling the APS to be sure (& urge them to update their website).

On 10/13/14, MAV-DC <m.ann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi - is the Oct 22 Quantum Computing talk at 1 pm at the APS - I can't
> seem to find anything on their websit . ... thx!

Bobby Baum

Oct 31, 2014, 8:27:23 PM10/31/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
November events:
3 - 6:30PM - GMU Observatory
5 - 8PM - UMd. Observatory - big data in astronomy
6 - 6:45PM - Capital Science Evening - Inflationary Cosmology: Is Our
Universe Part of a Multiverse?
7 - 7PM - science comedy (D.C. Science Cafe)
8PM - PSW - Revealing Art: Science in the Technical Examination
of Paintings
8 - 5:15PM - NASM - Far Out! A Tour of the Icy Bodies of the Outer
Solar System (free ticket required)
7:30PM - NCA - structure of our galaxy
9 - 7PM - NoVAC - The Moon in the Landscape
11 - 6:30PM - MAA - Prime Numbers: Progress and Pitfalls (registration required)
7:30PM - HacDC
8PM - STScI - A Telegram from the Early Universe
12 - 7:30PM - HacDC - wordpress blog
13 - 6:30PM - NLS - What Are You Breathing? Stable Isotopes in the Atmosphere
15 - 1:30PM - NCAS - Skeptical Journal Club: How To Read A Medical Study
17 - 6PM - GMU Observatory
18 - 7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - Ebb & Flow: A Day in the Life of a
Riverkeeper
19 - 1PM - APS - MESSENGER at Mercury: Water, Sulfur and Other
Geochemical Surprises from the Innermost Planet
7PM - HHMI (Janelia Research Campus) - Taking Action: How Small
Brains Make Big Choices (free ticket required)
20 - 6PM - DASER - art and environment (registration required)
7:30PM - HAL - spectroscopy
7:30PM - ASG
8PM - UMd. Observatory
21 - 8PM - PSW - Defining Fundamental Constants of Nature: The New SI

Bobby Baum

Nov 7, 2014, 4:47:11 PM11/7/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Nov. 17 - 6PM - GMU Observatory - gravitational waves
20 - 8PM - UMd. Observatory - 50 Years at an Urban Observatory
23 - 2:30PM - The Planetary Society - The Exploration of Europa: Past,
Present, and Future (Arlington Central Library Auditorium, 1015 N.

gippgig

Nov 12, 2014, 3:53:34 AM11/12/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
The regular HacDC monthly meeting has been rescheduled to Nov. 18 at 7:30PM.

Bobby Baum

Nov 28, 2014, 3:41:50 AM11/28/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
December events:
1 - 5:30PM - GMU Observatory - Recent Advances in Science Education
7PM - TPS/ISUAA - Space Cafe on Astrobiology (Science Club
www.scienceclub.com/)
2 - 2PM - TPS - Past Life? Present Life? The Future of Solar System
Exploration (Room 562 Dirksen Senate Office Bldg.)
8PM - STScI - The Interstellar Medium
5 - 8PM - UMd. Observatory - The Radio Sky
PSW - The 35 Years GMO War
6 - 5:15PM - NASM - Rubble Trouble: How Space Junk Impacts Astronomy
(free ticket required)
9 - 7:30PM - HacDC
10 - 7:30PM - HacDC - Space weather and radio propagation
11 - 6PM - DASER - art and environment (registration & photo ID required)
13 - 1:30PM - NCAS - Threats to Validity: What You Should Know to
Interpret Research Findings
7:30PM - NCA - Habitable Extrasolar Planets to be Discovered by
the TESS Mission
14 - 7PM - NoVAC - Stellar Evolution and Exoplanets
16 - 7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - Seeing the Forest for the Trees:
Nature-Based Forestry in Europe
18 - 7:30PM - HAL
20 - 8PM - UMd. Observatory - Astronomy Events in 2015

gippgig

Dec 10, 2014, 5:29:44 PM12/10/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Dec. 17 - 1PM - APS - Quantum Computer Programming and all that

shawn wilson

Dec 10, 2014, 10:24:21 PM12/10/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Can you give more info on the QC programming talk? link?

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 5:29 PM, gippgig <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dec. 17 - 1PM - APS - Quantum Computer Programming and all that

Bobby Baum

Dec 30, 2014, 10:13:35 PM12/30/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
January 2015 events
5 - 8PM -UMd. Observatory - Formation of the First Galaxies
10 - 1:30PM - NCAS - Ghosts, Elves, and the Man from Mars: Two Decades
(Skeptically) Investigating the Paranormal
3PM - HacDC
7:30PM - NCA - Ten Years Orbiting Saturn: What We Have Learned
About Saturn's Atmosphere
11 - 7PM - NoVAC
13 - 6PM - Nerds in NoMa
8PM - STScI
15 - 7:30PM - HAL
20 - 1PM - NASM - What's New in Aerospace?
6:30PM - Tandem Goes Drone! (register at
www.tandemnsi.com/event/tandem-goes-drone/)
7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - Climate indicators... Or farmer's almanac
8PM - UMd. Observatory
23 - 8PM - PSW - Future Astronomy James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)
24 - 5:15PM - NASM - Observing the Origin of the Universe from the
South Pole (free ticket required)
27 - 6PM - Nerds in NoMa
30 - 7:30PM - ASG - Prebiotic Chemistry and Astrobiology at NASA Goddard

Bobby Baum

Jan 8, 2015, 4:28:35 AM1/8/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
10 - 6:30PM - Nerd Nite DC - flies, greentech, 3D printing Smithsonian
artifacts (dc.nerdnite.com)
11 - 7PM - NoVAC - Star Clusters
13 - 6PM - Nerds in NoMa - Treasure Trucks
8PM STScI - 25 Years of Hubble
14 - 7:30PM - HacDC - online remote radio receivers, reverse beacon networks
20 - 8PM - UMd. Observatory - ALMA: The World's Largest Radio telescope
21 - 1PM - APS - Mapping the Universe (SDSS)
26 - 6:30PM - D.C. Science Cafe - Engineering Ethics and Our Love/Hate
Relationship with Technology
27 - 6PM - Nerds in NoMa - Word on the Street

condew HacDC

Jan 9, 2015, 7:19:30 PM1/9/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Checked out the link for "dc.nerdnite.com", which eventually lead me to a couple interesting and entertaining videos by Ali Mattu who seems to be a popular figure there.
3 Easy Steps to Create Star Trek's Utopian Future @ Nerd Nite which uses Star Trek to indirectly say HacDC would be better if we had more activities that involve more of us -- which I think some of us knew instinctively, so we have things like game night, which would not seem directly associated with the goals of a club that is about technology.  There is also Why Nerds Rage! which uses Batman to address why it is so easy to say outrageous things on the internet.

Bobby Baum

Jan 29, 2015, 12:45:05 AM1/29/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
February events
3 - 8PM - STScI - From Cosmic Birth to Living Earth: The Next Great
Space Telescope Beyond JWST
5 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - Rosetta Results
8 - 2PM - HacDC - games
7PM - NoVAC - The Future of U.S. Manned Space Flight
9 - 5:30PM - GMU Obs. - Extreme Exoplanets
10 - 5:30PM - Cybersecurity: What is it? Why is it important? How does
an organization protect itself? (registration -
www.arlingtonvirginiausa.com)
6:30PM - Nerds in NoMa - The Power of Paint
7:30PM - HacDC
11 - 6:45PM - Capital Science Evening - Biology at the Extremes: How
Studies of the Extraordinary Lead to Discoveries About the Ordinary
(full)
7:30PM - HacDC - International Broadcasting Bureau transmission network
14 - 7:30PM - NCA - The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter and our New View
of the Moon
17 - 1PM - NASM - What's New in Aerospace Moving Beyond Earth
7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - Luck or Statistics?
18 - 1PM - APS - Quantum Entanglement
7PM - HHMI - The Chemistry of Color (free ticket required)
19 - 6PM - DASER - art, contemplation, and wellness (registration & ID required)
7:30PM - HAL
20 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - ALMA and Big Data
PSW - Validating Research Steps for Restoring Trust
in Experimental Results
21 - 5:15PM - NASM - Tracing the Structure of the Universe with Galaxy
Surveys Addressing the Biggest Questions (free ticket required)
23 - 6PM - GMU Obs. - gamma-ray astronomy
24 - 6:30PM - Nerds in NoMa - Raging River
26 - 8PM - NASM - Fixing Hubble Dare to Dream the Impossible, and the
Incredible Will Happen (free ticket required)
27 - 7:30PM - ASG

I'm considering going to the Feb. 3 STScI talk. If I do (no commitment
at this point) would anyone be interested in a ride up there (probably
with a stop at Harbor Freight Tools in Laurel on the way - I've got
plenty of extra free item coupons)?

Would anyone be interested in a talk about modifying the genetic code
(the theory behind it, not the procedures for doing it in the lab)?

Bobby Baum

Jan 30, 2015, 11:06:22 PM1/30/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
CORRECTION: DELETE the Feb. 27 ASG meeting.

gippgig

Feb 28, 2015, 2:14:28 AM2/28/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
March events
3 - 1PM - NASM - Early History of NACA (NASA's predecessor)
      8PM - STScI - Insights into the Interplay of Science & Art
4 - 1PM - NASM - Transformation (NACA)
      3:30PM - NASM -The Next Assignment: A Panel Discussion (NACA)
      6:45PM - Capital Science Evening - Mars Up Close (full)
5 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - Exoplanets from the TESS Mission
6 - 8PM - PSW - Hubble  The Missions that Enabled the Hubble Space Telescope to Unravel Mysteries of the Universe
8 - 7PM - NoVAC - Exploring the H II Regions of Galaxies
9 - 7PM - GMU Obs. - cometrs
10 - 1PM Science Tuesdays (RSC) - Climate Change (registration required)
        6:30PM - Nerds in NoMa - Next in NoMa
        7:30PM - HacDC
11 - 7:30PM - HacDC - wireless meshes in amateur radio
14 - 1:30PM - NCAS - The Calculus of Calories: Quantitative Obesity Research
        7:30PM - NCA - Waking the Giants: Signatures of Supermassive Black Holes in Merging Galaxies
16 - 7PM - Brookside Nature Center (www.montgomeryparks.org/nature_centers/brookside/) - The Science Behind Conservation - Using genetics to manage and conserve wildlife (registration (301) 962-1486)

17 - 1PM - NASM - What's New in Aerospace
        7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - Volcanos and Altered Climates
19 - 6PM - DASER - mathematics, art, and culture (registration & ID required)
       7PM - HAL - History of Paul S. Watson, the Watson Scope, and HAL
20 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - SSL NearSpace Balloon Payload Project
                  PSW - Brave Genius... A Scientist's Journey from the French Resistance to the Nobel Prize
23 - 7:30PM - GMU Obs.
24 - 7PM - Nerds in NoMa - Speakeasy DC Comes to NoMa
26 - 7:30PM - ASG - A New Way to Make Telescopes
       8PM - NASM - Servicing the Hubble Space Telescope (free ticket required)

gippgig

Mar 12, 2015, 3:21:30 PM3/12/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
CORRECTION: The Rockville Science Cafe has been rescheduled from March 17 to March 24 (Volcanoes - Lava, Ash ... and Climate Change too!).

Za Az

Mar 19, 2015, 3:52:47 PM3/19/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Physical addresses of these events please

Danish

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM, gippgig <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
CORRECTION: The Rockville Science Cafe has been rescheduled from March 17 to March 24 (Volcanoes - Lava, Ash ... and Climate Change too!).

Bobby Baum

Mar 19, 2015, 4:10:24 PM3/19/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Check the websites for the locations - most websites are listed in the
original entry (a few are listed in later entries) of this category.

Za Az

Mar 19, 2015, 4:46:27 PM3/19/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Rockville Science cafe address/location is not in this link.

D.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Bobby Baum <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
Check the websites for the locations - most websites are listed in the
original entry (a few are listed in later entries) of this category.

Bobby Baum

Mar 19, 2015, 4:58:53 PM3/19/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Go to www.rockvillesciencecenter.org & click on Science Cafe under
Programs. The first sentence gives the location: Branded 72, 387 East
Gude Dr., Rockville, Md. 20850.

Another addition by RSC: Mar. 27 "12:00 am" Tomorrow Has Arrived:
Robotics Today (register at www.OASISnet.org) Montgomery Mall Macy's

gippgig

Mar 20, 2015, 4:11:24 PM3/20/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
That is 7PM.

gippgig

Mar 20, 2015, 5:45:07 PM3/20/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
A couple more:
March 23 - 7:30PM - GMU Obs. - Planetary Atmospheres
24 - 6PM - TandemNSI Internet-of-Things Panel (register at www.arlingtonvirginiausa.com/about-aed/events-calendar/tandemnsi-internet-of-things-panel/)

gippgig

Mar 31, 2015, 3:32:44 AM3/31/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
April events
1 - 8PM - NASM - Searching for a Missing Tailwheel in a Herd of Elephants  Bush Flying with the Kenya Wildlife Service (free ticket required)
3 - 11AM-4PM - NASM - National Robotics Week
5 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - Catching a comet: First results from the Rosetta mission
6 - 7:30PM - GMU Obs. - Mining in the Solar System

7 - 8PM - STScI
8 - 7:30PM - HacDC (amateur radio)
10 - 8PM - PSW - Human Skin Color  Its Evolution and Relevance to Health and Human Society
11 - 7:30PM - NCA - High Resolution Views of Planets and Disks
12 - 2PM - HacDC - games
       7PM - NoVAC - Solar Storms: 2,000 Years of Calamity
14 - 1PM - RSC - Science Tuesdays - Feel the Earth Move (registration required)
       7:30PM - HacDC
16 - 6:30PM - NLS - The Quest for Room Temperature Superconductivity (registration recommended)
       7PM - HAL - Star Party etiquette and Joe Bohanan's Winter Star Party report
17 - 1PM - APS - Symmetries, Clusters, and Synchronization Patterns in Complex Networks
18 - 10AM-4PM - National Math Festival (www.mathfest.org)
20 - 6:30PM - D.C. Science Cafe - Versed in Science (and Math): An Evening of Poetry
       8PM - PSW - Hubble Anniversary
                 UMd. Obs. - Women in Astronomy
                 GMU Obs. - Overview of the End-life of Massive Stars
21 - 7PM - Rockville Science Cafe - 50 Shades of Spiders ... A tangled web!
22 - 2PM - NASM - Hubble Space Telescope
       6:45PM - Meadowside Nature Center - The Impact of Buildings on Birds (www.montgomeryparks.org/nature_centers/meadow/; registration required)
       8PM - NASM - Hubble Space Telescope: Exploding Stars and the Accelerating Universe (free ticket required)
24 - 8PM - PSW - Advanced Spacesuits  Wearable Technology for Exploring the Solar System
25 - UMd. - Maryland Day
26 - noon-5PM - Rockville Science Day (MC)
30 - 6:45PM - Capital Science Evening - The Philosophical Baby: What Children's Minds Tell Us About Truth, Love, and the Meaning of Life (registration recommended)
       7:30PM - ASG
May preview
4 - 8PM - GMU Obs. - New Horizons: Mission to Pluto
8 - 8PM - PSW - Synthetic Genetics  Biology - The Technology Engine of the 21st Century
9 - 7:30PM - NCA - A Giant Storm on Saturn
12 - 1PM - RSC - Science Tuesdays - Robotics (registration required)
       7:30PM - HacDC
13 - 7:30PM - HacDC - youth and amateur radio
14 - 6:30PM - NLS - Alien Worlds and the Origins of Science (registration recommended)
18 - InterPlanetary Net Conference (ipn-isoc.org/ipn-isoc-presents-2nd-annual-ipn-conference-in-washington-dc/; registration required)
21 - 6PM - DASER - Museums in the Digital Age (registration & photo ID required)
       7PM - HAL - Dark Matter

M AV

Mar 31, 2015, 8:12:20 AM3/31/15
to bla...@hacdc.org
hi - thx - what is "HAL"?

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:32:44 -0700
From: gip...@gmail.com
To: Bla...@hacdc.org
Subject: Re: [HacDC:Blabber] Re: science talks

Alberto Gaitán

Mar 31, 2015, 9:15:46 AM3/31/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
On 3/31/15 8:12 AM, M AV wrote:
> hi - thx - what is "HAL"?

The letters respectively before IBM in the alphabet.

</unhelpful>

M AV

Mar 31, 2015, 9:18:36 AM3/31/15
to bla...@hacdc.org
:-) lol ....but, seroulsly, what is HAL ... :-0

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:15:43 -0400
> From: alberto...@gmail.com

> To: Bla...@hacdc.org
> Subject: Re: [HacDC:Blabber] Re: science talks

Ben Mendis

Mar 31, 2015, 9:35:01 AM3/31/15
to HacDC Public Discussion
Hardware Abstraction Layer?
A defunct computer manufacturer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_Computer_Systems
The ticker symbol for Halliburton?
Hybrid Assisted Limb? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_(robot)
A Dutch hacker con? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackers_at_Large
The fictional AI antagonist in 2001: A Space Odyssey?

I'm not finding anything that looks relevant to the given context.

M AV

Mar 31, 2015, 9:40:57 AM3/31/15
to bla...@hacdc.org
April 21 - HAL - Dark Matter????

friend gigpin, where forth art thou??

what/where be "HAL"? :-}

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:34:58 -0400

Fredrik Nyman

Mar 31, 2015, 9:48:16 AM3/31/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Howard Astronomical League

M AV

Mar 31, 2015, 9:52:37 AM3/31/15
to bla...@hacdc.org
ta da! excellent - thx!

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:48:13 -0400

gippgig

Apr 30, 2015, 3:41:02 AM4/30/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org, bla...@hacdc.org
Consolidated (but still not complete) science event list and May events
With the exception of the STScI only events in the Washington area are included. All dates listed are for free events altho signing up in advance may be required (usually noted). If there is a regular time or place for events it is included below but note that there are exceptions. Also note that schedules are always subject to change.
U. of Md. Observatory open houses - www.astro.umd.edu/openhouse - 5th & 20th 8 or 9PM (Metzerott Rd.)
NCA (National Capital Astronomers) - capitalastronomers.org - 2nd Sat. 7:30PM UMd. Observatory (Metzerott Rd.)
NoVAC (Northern Virginia Astronomy Club) - www.novac.com/wp/outreach/meetings/ - 2nd Sun. 7PM GMU Research Hall Room 163
ASG (Astronomical Society of Greenbelt) - www.greenbeltastro.org/events.shtml - last Thur. 7:30PM H.B. Owens Science Center (9601 Greenbelt Rd. Lanham, Md. 20706 (301) 918-8750)
HAL (Howard Astronomical League) - www.howardastro.org/meetings.php - 3rd Thur. 7PM Robinson Nature Center 2nd floor (6692 Cedar La. Columbia, Md. 21044 (410) 313-0400)
NASM (National Air & Space Museum) - airandspace.si.edu/events/ (202) 633-1000
STScI (Space Telescope Science Institute) - hubblesite.org/about_us/public_talks/ - 1st Tue. 8PM (3700 San Martin Dr. Baltimore, Md. 21218 (410) 338-4700)
RSC (Rockville Science Center) - www.rockvillesciencecenter.org (240) FUN-8111 - RSC (Rockville Science Cafe) - 3rd Tue. 7PM Branded '72 (387 E. Gude Dr. Rockville, Md. 20850), Science Tuesdays, Rockville Science Day - Apr. noon MC (51 Mannakee St. Rockville, Md. 20850)
CI (Carnegie Institute) CSE (Capital Science Evenings) - carnegiescience.edu/events/lectures - 6:45PM Carnegie Institute (1530 P St. NW Washington, D.C. 20005) registration recommended, NLS (Neighborhood Lecture Series) - carnegiescience.edu/nls - 6:30PM Broad Branch Road Campus (5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW Washington, D.C. 20015) registration recommened
DCSC (D.C. Science Cafe) - www.dcswa.org/dc-science-cafe - 6:30PM Busboys and Poets (1025 5th St. NW (5th & K St.) Washington, D.C. 20001 (202) 789-BBAP)
Cafe Scientifique - www.arlingtonvirginiausa.com/
GSFC (Goddard Space Flight Center - restricted access but open Science Cafe planned) - www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/visitor/events/colloquia-seminars.html
GMU Observatory - cos.gmu.edu/observatory/calendar/, physics.gmu.edu/~hgeller/observing.html
PSW (Philosophical Society of Washington) - www.philsoc.org/ - 8PM John Wesley Powell Auditorium (left of Cosmos Club 2170 Florida Ave. NW Washington, D.C. 20008)
APS (American Physical Society) - www.aps.org/units/maspg/ - 1PM American Center for Physics (1 Physics Ellipse, College Park, Md. 20740 (301) 209-3000)
DASER (DC Art Science Evening Rendezvous) - www.cpnas.org/events/experience-future-events-daser.html - 6PM (registration and photo ID required)
NCAS (National Capital Area Skeptics) - www.ncas.org/ (240) 670-NCAS - 1:30PM
Nerds in NoMa - www.nomabid.org/lobby-project/ - 6:30PM 1200 1st St. NE (1st & M St.) Washington, D.C.
MAA (Mathematical Society of America) - maa.org/meetings/calendar-events - Carriage House (1781 Church St. NW Washington, D.C. 20036 (202) 319-8476) (registration)
HHMI (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) - www.janelia.org/conferences-events/public-events - Janelia Research Campus (19700 Helix Dr. Ashburn, Va. 20147 (571) 209-4000) (free ticket required)
Nerd Nite DC - dc.nerdnite.com
HacDC - www.hacdc.org (202) 556-4225 - St. Stephen & the Incarnation Episcopal Church 2nd floor (1525 Newton St. NW Washington, D.C. 20010)
BNC (Brookside Nature Center) - www.montgomeryparks.org/nature_centers/brookside/ (1400 Glenallen Ave. Silver Spring, Md. 20902 (301) 962-1480)
MNC (Meadowside Nature Center) - www.montgomeryparks.org/nature_centers/meadow/ (5100 Meadowside La. Rockville, Md. 20858 (301) 258-4030)
AMS (American Meteorological Society) - www.dc-ams.org
May events:
2 - 10AM-3PM - NASM - Space Day
3 - 7PM - NoVAC - Radio Astronomy with ALMA

4 - 8PM - GMU Obs. - New Horizons: Mission to Pluto
5 - 6:30PM - DCSC - Tracking Beetles, Auroras, and the Power of Citizen Science
     8PM - STScI - The Construction of Alien Worlds
     9PM - UMd. Obs.

8 - 8PM - PSW - Synthetic Genetics  Biology - The Technology Engine of the 21st Century
9 - 7:30PM - NCA - A Giant Storm on Saturn
12 - 1PM - RSC - Science Tuesdays - Robotics (registration required)
        7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
13 - 7PM - HHMI - The Wild and Wacky World of Epigenetics (registration required - full)
       7:30PM - HacDC - Youth and Amateur Radio

14 - 6:30PM - NLS - Alien Worlds and the Origins of Science (registration recommended)
16-17 - DC Science Hack Day - dc.sciencehackday.org
18 - InterPlanetary Net Conference - ipn-isoc.org/ipn-isoc-presents-2nd-annual-ipn-conference-in-washington-dc/ (registration required)
19 - 7PM - RSC - A Dip into the Gene Pool - Human Evolution
20 - 6:45PM - MNC - Voices of the Next Generation (register at ParkPASS.org - 315554)
       9PM - UMd. Obs.

21 - 6PM - DASER - Museums in the Digital Age (registration & photo ID required)
       7PM - HAL - Dark Matter
28 - 7:30PM - ASG

Bobby Baum

May 1, 2015, 12:20:24 AM5/1/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Well, the list is ALREADY out of date... ASG no longer has the H.B.
Owens Science Center as the standard meeting location.
May 5 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - Asteroid Rotation Period Results from ASTR
315 Student Research
20 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - STEREO Mission

gippgig

May 29, 2015, 2:23:46 AM5/29/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
June events
2 - 1PM - NASM - What's New in Aerospace? - Tools of the EVA Trade
     8PM = STScI - The Weirdest Stars in the Universe
5 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - Solar Wind
9 - 1PM - Science Tuesdays - Statistics: Matter of Life and Death (registration - course 50682)
     7:30PM - HacDC
10 - 7:30PM - HacDC - Ham Profile - Roy Lee Wright "K4AXQ"
11 - 8PM - NASM - Hubble Telescope: Looking Back in Time at the Distant Universe (full)
13 - 7:30PM - NCA - Science fair winners
14 - 7PM - NoVAC - The Evolution of Galaxies
16 - 6:30PM - MAA - Where Sufficient Reason Isn't Enough (registration required)
       7PM - RSC - Woodland Ecosystems Urban Design
18 - 7PM - HAL - Summer Open Mike Night
19 - 6-11PM - Astronomy Festival (National Mall - www.hofstra.edu/dcstars)
20 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - Do we really only understand 4% of the Universe?
25 - 7:30PM - ASG
30 - noon-11PM - GMU Obs. - International Asteroid Day
       8PM - NASM - The Hubble Space Telescope: The Agony and the Ecstasy (overflow - free ticket required)

gippgig

Jun 21, 2015, 2:22:26 AM6/21/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
24 - 1PM - APS - Applications of Quantum Information Science for the Next Decade
28 - 2PM - HacDC - games

gippgig

Jun 29, 2015, 10:50:15 PM6/29/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
July events
5 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - Cosmic Crashes: the Many Facets of Neutron Star Collisions
7 - 6:30PM - MAA - The Wrong Door
     8PM - STScI
8 - 7:30PM - HacDC
12 - 7PM - NoVAC - The production and effects of gravitational waves
14 - 7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
16 - 7PM - HAL - Open Mike Night - Apollo 8 Earthrise photograph
19 - 2PM - HacDC - games
20 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - Galaxies and Supermassive Black Holes: Frenemies Forever
21 - 7PM - RSC - Staring into Space - Telescopes and the Telophase Project
24 - 10AM-3PM - NASM - Mars Day!
30 - 7:30PM - ASG

gippgig

Jul 6, 2015, 6:52:05 PM7/6/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
July 7 STScI has been cancelled.
July 8 - 7:30PM - HacDC - Standing Wave Ratio measurement

gippgig

Jul 30, 2015, 3:28:45 PM7/30/15
to Blabber, gip...@gmail.com
August events:
4 - 8PM - STScI - Black Holes
5 -  9PM - UMd. Obs. - Behind and Beyond APOD
9 - 7PM - NoVAC
11 - 7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
12 - 7:30PM - HacDC - How RF affects the human body and ...
18 - 7PM - RSC - Rain Gardens - Soaking in Mother Nature
19 - 1PM - APS - MASPG Tour: National Cryptology Museum (register at ru...@krutar.org)
20 - 7PM - HAL - Summer Open Mike Night, New Horizons - Pluto Discussion
       9PM - UMd. Obs. - Water, Carbon Dioxide, and Comets
26 - 7:30PM - HacDC - Antennas and Network Analyzer
27 - 7:30PM - ASG

gippgig

Aug 5, 2015, 2:34:36 AM8/5/15
to Blabber, gip...@gmail.com
The topic of the Aug. 9 NoVAC meeting is Asteroid Mining. Sounds particularly interesting.

M AV

Aug 5, 2015, 2:01:57 PM8/5/15
to bla...@hacdc.org
In case anyone's interested but can't get out to GMU Fairfax, seems like NOVAC usually records the monthly presentations and lists the vids here:

http://www.novac.com/wp/outreach/meetings/speaker-schedule/

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 23:34:36 -0700
From: gip...@gmail.com
To: Bla...@hacdc.org
CC: gip...@gmail.com

The topic of the Aug. 9 NoVAC meeting is Asteroid Mining. Sounds particularly interesting.

gippgig

Aug 31, 2015, 1:11:50 AM8/31/15
to Blabber, bla...@hacdc.org
Sept. events (Note 1: There should be a HacDC monthly meeting but the date is not yet set; it might be Sept. 9, presumably instead of the regular amateur radio meeting that day. Note 2: The HacDC lockpickng class Sept. 12 is not listed since it is not a free event.)
Bonus: Aug. 31 - 7:30PM - GMU Obs. - New Horizons: Mission to Pluto and Charon
1 - 7PM - HacDC - Virtual Reality Night (Note 3: Assuming HacDC has been debugged)
     8PM - STScI
5 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - black holes
8 - 1PM - Science Tuesdays - Gardening for Wildlife (registration - 51788)
9 - 7:30PM - HacDC
11 - 8PM - PSW - Isotopes and Isotope Ratios
12 - 7:30PM - NCA - Aqueous Alteration on Asteroids: Links between the mineralogy and spectroscopy of primitive carbonaceous meteorites
13 - 7PM - NoVAC - New Horizons
14 - 7PM - GMU Obs.
15 - 7PM - RSC - Pharmacy Sleuth - Tracking Pharmaceuticals from Side Effects to Adverse Reactions
16 - 7PM - HHMI - Exploring the Genes that Built You (free ticket required)
17 - 6PM - DASER - Art and Healing (registration & photo ID required)
       6:45PM - CSE - Why doesn't my supermarket tomato have any flavor and why should I care? (registration required)
       7PM - HAL - Back to Astronomy School Night: Game Show
       8PM - NASM - Jessica Cox, Right Footed Pilot (free ticket required)
19 - 1:30PM - NCAS - The Secrets of Surveys: When Can You Trust Them?
20 - noon-5PM - Silver Spring Maker Faire (www.makerfairesilverspring.com)
       9PM - UMd. Obs. - New Horizons
22 - 1PM - NASM - What's New in Aerospace?  New Horizons @ Pluto
23 - 7PM - MNC - Nature Matters: Parks Wildlife-Beauty & the Beast (registration - #6449)
24 - 6PM - NLS - lab tour (registration recommended, limited capacity) followed by
       7PM - NLS - From Outpost to Icon: A Century of Science at Broad Branch Road (registration recommended)
       7:30PM - ASG
25 - 8PM - PSW - Over the Rainbow  Other Worlds Seen by Animals
28 - 7PM - GMU Obs.
29 - 8PM - NASM - Looking at Earth: An Astronaut's Journey (free ticket required)

Bobby Baum

Aug 31, 2015, 4:35:51 AM8/31/15
to Blabber
Sept. 1 STScI topic: A Trip Through the Light Fantastic

Bobby Baum

Sep 13, 2015, 1:35:29 PM9/13/15
to Blabber
Sept. 14 - 7PM - GMU Obs. - Searching for Habitable Environments on
Mars with Curiosity
23 - 1PM - APS - Elucidating the Role of Network Structure in Gene
Regulation: Connecting Models and Data
26 - 11AM-5PM - Goddard Space Flight Center Open House
(www.nasa.gov/explorenasagoddard/; no on site parking, must use
shuttle bus; potentially obnoxious security)

gippgig

Sep 17, 2015, 4:21:03 AM9/17/15
to Blabber
The topic of the Sept. 17 HAL meeting is now detection of exoplanets by amateur astronomers. Sounds really interesting. I might be able to take someone with me if anyone wants to go (not at all certain - contact me if interested).

gippgig

Sep 30, 2015, 3:58:42 AM9/30/15
to Blabber
Oct. events
5 - 7PM - GMU Obs. - The Search for Life in the Solar System from Mercury to Pluto
     9PM - UMd. Obs. - The Search for Potential Habitable Worlds
6 - 1PM - NASM - What's New in Aerospace?  Sally Ride: Curating Her Life
     8PM - STScI - The Exploration of Pluto and the Kuiper Belt by NASA's New Horizons Mission
7 - 7PM - MNC - Nature Matters: Rails & Rice, A Restoration Story (registration - #6458)
9 - 8PM - PSW - Sailing the Wine Dark Seas: International Trade and the Collapse of the Late Bronze Age Aegean
10 - 1:30PM - NCAS - The Skeptical Life of Martin Gardner
       7:30PM - NCA - Meteor Showers Affect the Moon's Atmosphere
11 - 7PM - NoVAC
13 - 1PM - Science Tuesdays - What's Happening on Shady Grove Rd? (bioengineering; registration - 52372)

       7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
14 - 7:30PM - HacDC - APRS
15 - 6PM - DASER - International Year of Light (registration & photo ID required)
       6:30PM - NLS - Memoirs of a Mineral (registration recommended)
       7PM - HAL - Back in the Pluto Data Stream
16 - 6:30PM - DCSC - An outsider's inside view of science in Iran
19 - 6:30PM - GMU Obs. - Understanding our Smallest and Closest Stellar Neighbors
20 - 7PM - RSC - Polynesian Engineering - Canoe building 101
       9PM - UMd. Obs. - Radar and Optical Observations of Meteors
21 - 1PM - APS - The Origin of Titan and Hyperion
       6:45PM - Carnegie Inst. - Hunting Planets: Celebrating 20 years of Exoplanets (registration required)
23 - 8PM - PSW - Living in the Anthropocene: The Future of Nature
27 - 8PM - NASM - Predator: Transforming Modern Warfare with Drones (free ticket required)
28 - 6:45PM - CSE - Seeing Climate, Seeing Change: Communicating climate science in a changing media landscape (registration required)
29 - 6:30PM - MAA - Mathematics that Swings: The Math Behind Golf
       7:30PM - ASG

gippgig

Oct 8, 2015, 11:42:49 PM10/8/15
to Blabber
The topic of the Oct. 11 NoVAC meeting is: The Real Alien Visitors to Earth: Meteors, Meteorites, Asteroids, and Comets in the Neighborhood
The topic for the Oct. 15 HAL meeting is now listed as: Ceres: The Other Minor Planet (Pluto next month)

gippgig

Oct 14, 2015, 5:02:27 AM10/14/15
to Blabber
Oct. 20 - 6PM - Cyber War in 2030: Opportunities for Innovators (registration - www.arlingtoneconomicdevelopment.com/resources/events-calendar/cyber-war-in-2030-opportunities-for-innovators/

gippgig

Oct 21, 2015, 4:56:48 AM10/21/15
to Blabber
Oct. 28 - 6PM - BUGSS/Wilson Center - Synthetic Biology 101: An evening of casual science conversations (at ASM in D.C.; registration - www.eventbrite.com/e/synthetic-biology-101-an-evening-of-casual-science-conversations-registration-18801723461)

gippgig

Oct 30, 2015, 10:37:27 PM10/30/15
to Blabber
 November events:
2 - 5:30PM - GMU Obs. - Gamma-Ray Burst Astronomy
     7PM - HacDC - How To: Email Encryption (fee if you want refreshments)
3 - 7:30PM - USSR (United Silver Spring Ruby) - Tagging your world with RFID (www.meetup.com/United-Silver-Spring-Ruby)
     8PM - STScI - Hubble's Views of the Deep Universe
5 - 6:30PM - NLS - Water in the Moon's Interior: Truth and Consequences (registration recommended)
     8PM - UMd. Obs. - Why Do Black Holes Shine?
6 - 8PM - PSW - Microbiomes and Microbiomics
7 - 7PM - TPS - D.C. chapter restart (www.facebook.com/events/1691674194398554)
8 - 7PM - NoVAC
10 - 1PM - Science Tuesdays - Here's How to Reach Me (registration - #52372)
       6:30PM - MAA - Folding a New Tomorrow: Origami Meets Math and Science

       7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
11 - 7:30PM - HacDC
12 - 2PM - NASM - Astronomy Chat with LRO mission operations planner Dawn Meyers
       6:45PM - CSE - Chance, Necessity, and the Origins of Life (registration required)
14 - 7:30PM - NCA - Understanding our Closest and Smallest Stellar Neighbors
16 - 5PM - GMU Obs. - Time Domain Astronomy
17 - 1PM - APS - Global Warming 56 Million Years Ago and What it Means for Us
        6PM - HacDC - planning meeting
        7PM - RSC - Polynesian Engineering Part II - Pre-GPS Celestial Navigation
18 - 6:45PM - MNC - Nature Matters: Growing Legacy (registration - #7588)
19 - 7PM - HAL - Matter with Electromagnetic Resonance
       7:30PM - ASG
20 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - Search for cosmic dark matter with Fermi gamma-ray space telescope
                  PSW - Obama's BRAIN: A View of Science Policy from Inside the White House
30 - 5PM - GMU Obs. - New Horizons: Mission to Pluto

shawn wilson

Nov 2, 2015, 9:37:16 AM11/2/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Not for a while but I suspect you'll need this soon if you want tickets:
http://www.tedxherndon.com/tedxherndon/
> --
> --
> Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here:
> http://hacdc.org/membership/

gippgig

Nov 28, 2015, 3:55:30 AM11/28/15
to Blabber
December events:
1 - 8PM - STScI - Dawn: A Journey to the Early Solar System
2 - 6:30PM - TOOOL-DC (The Open Organisation of Lockpickers) - Intro lockpicking (The Board Room 1737 Conn. Ave. NW)
     7:45PM - TOOOL-DC - Every Contact Leaves a Trace (lockpicking forensics; same location)
4 - 8PM - PSW - The Health Gap: Why it Concerns All of Us and What to Do About It
5 - 7PM - TPS (UMd. Obs.)
     8PM - UMd. Obs. - Asteroid Rotation Period Results from ASTR 315 Student Research
7 - 6:30PM - NAS (National Academy of Science) - Moving Bodies (play about Richard Feynman - registration & photo ID required)
8 - 1PM - Science Tuesdays: Why Do We Need Animals in Research? (registration - 52372)
     6:45PM - CSE - The Restless Brain (registration required)

     7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
9 - 7:30PM - HacDC
12 - 1:30PM - NCAS - Forensic Follies: The Dark Side of CSI.
       7:30PM - NCA - The progenitors of Type Ia supernovae revealed by X-ray observations of supernova remnants
13 - 7PM - NoVAC - Planetary Atmospheres
15 - 1PM - NASM - What's New in Aerospace? - Sewing Machines, Balloons, and Rocket Fuel
       7PM - RSC - Alcoholic Monkeys and Man
16 - 1PM - APS - Earths Unique Continents
       7PM - MNC - Nature Matters: What's New with Spotted Owls? (registration - apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty/Activity_Search/5158)
20 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - Dissemination, Education, and Research in Brazilian Astronomy
Note that there are far more events in the first half of the month than the second. This is typical - to minimize conflicts try to schedule more events towards the end of the month.

gippgig

Dec 21, 2015, 3:23:29 PM12/21/15
to Blabber
Has a topic been determined for the Jan. 13 HacDC amateur radio meeting?
Is there an amateur radio meeting Feb. 10? The calendar doesn't list one.
Message has been deleted

gippgig

Dec 30, 2015, 7:01:30 PM12/30/15
to Blabber
January 20I6 events:
5 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - 20I6 Observing Highlights
                STScI - White House Astronomy Night
6 - 6PM - Carnegie Institute - screening of Jan. I3 Nova, Life's Rocky Start (registration required)
7 - noon - NASM - Astronomy Chat - Dawn Myers (LRO mission operations planner)
8 - 8PM - PSW - Einstein, Time, and Light
9 - I:30PM - NCAS - A Brief History of Creation: Science and the Search for the Origin of Life
     2PM - TPS - event planning
     7:30PM - NCA - Astronomers: A Historical Re-enactment
I0 - 7PM - NoVAC - Show and Tell (telescopes)
II - 7PM - HacDC - Linux Part I: Introduction & Installation
I2 - 7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
I3 - 7:30PM - HacDC - ARES / RACES
I5 - noon - NASM - Astronomy Chat - habitable exoplanets
      7PM - HacDC - Linux Part I: Introduction & Installation
I9 - 6PM - RSC - The Visible Human Project (space limited - registration)
      6:30PM - DCSC - Light Matters: Photons and Atoms At Play
20 - noon - NASM - Astronomy Chat - cosmology
       8PM - UMd. Obs. - Exploring Alien Atmospheres
2I - 6:45PM - CSE - A Tale of Two (Cities) Planets: What Earth and Mars are teaching us about the evolution of habitable worlds (registration required)
22 - 8PM - PSW - Genetically Engineered Livestock: Bringing 2Ist Century Medications to the Developing World
23 - 3PM - HacDC - annual meeting
25 - 5PM - GMU Obs.
27 - 7PM - MNC - Nature Matters: Climate Change and Native Plants (registration)
30 - 5:I5PM - NASM - Exploring Venus, Earth's Planetary Twin (free ticket required)

Bobby Baum

Jan 8, 2016, 1:56:32 AM1/8/16
to Blabber
9 - 7:30PM - NCA - William and Caroline Herschel, and the Community of
Science Enthusiasts
20 - 1PM - APS - What Really Sank the Titanic
21 - 7PM - HAL - astrophotos
28 - ASG?

Bobby Baum

Jan 8, 2016, 3:25:22 AM1/8/16
to Blabber
Missed one, and it's a doozy!
Jan. I9 - 6:30PM - Nerds in NoMa - Hack DC ("Investigate how civic
hacking, open data and technology innovations can make DC better.")
(free ticket)

Enrique Cobas

Jan 8, 2016, 12:03:34 PM1/8/16
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Alberto Gaitan

Jan 8, 2016, 12:47:42 PM1/8/16
to HacDC Public Discussion
It's not on their website: http://www.nomabid.org/nerds-in-noma/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blabber" group.

Ben Mendis

Jan 8, 2016, 1:27:55 PM1/8/16
to HacDC Public Discussion

Bobby Baum

Jan 8, 2016, 1:35:14 PM1/8/16
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Alberto Gaitan

Jan 8, 2016, 3:16:19 PM1/8/16
to HacDC Public Discussion
Thanks for the pointers. The Hack * pattern has been used in the past in other opendata hackathons' initiatives around the world.

Which brings me to March's upcoming Open Data Day events: http://opendataday.org/

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Bobby Baum <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
It;s on www.nomabid.org/lobby-project/

gippgig

Jan 31, 2016, 3:12:46 AM1/31/16
to Blabber
Jan. 3I - 2PM - NASM - Astronomy Chat - Stars that swallow their planets
February events
I - 5PM - GMU Obs. - Habitability: The Chemical Requirements for Life in the Universe
2 - 8PM - STScI - The Southern Skies: Astronomy in Chile
4 - 6PM - DASER - Ideation, Translation, and Realization (registration & photo ID required)
5 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - The Icy Heart of Pluto
                PSW - Improving the Tick-Tock of the Atomic Clock
6 - 9AM-4PM - NOAA open house (photo ID required; security theater watch) (preserveamerica.noaa.gov/welcome.html)
8 - 5:30PM - GMU Obs. - The Sun: Astronomy for People Who Sleep at Night
9 - IPM - Science Tuesdays - Planting, Pulling, Fire & Water (registration)
     7:30PM - HacDC - monthly & annual meeting
I0 - noon - NOAA - Sea Grant Helps Communities Learn from Sandy (preserveamerica.noaa.gov/talks16.html)
II - noon - NOAA - Get to know Sea Grant with Craig McLean (preserveamerica.noaa.gov/talks16.html)
I3 - I:30PM - NCAS - Touch: The Science of Hand, Heart and Mind
      7:30PM - NCA - Gamma Ray Bursts and Precious Metals
I4 - 7PM - NoVAC - Exoplanet and circumstellar disk detection
I6 - 6:30PM - Nerds in NoMa - Whose Art? (free ticket)
      7PM - RSC - Feral Swine, an Ecological Train Wreck
I7 - IPM - APS - Neutron-capture Processes in Stars: Theories, Stellar Sites, and Implications from Presolar Grain Studies
      7PM - MNC - Nature Matters - Probiotic Therapy for Salamanders (registration)
I8 - 7PM - HAL - President's HAL State of the Union Address
I9 - 8PM - PSW - Chance vs. Necessity in Mineral Evolution   A New Approach to an Ancient Subject
20 - 5:I5PM - NASM - Surprises in the Outer Solar System   Pan-STARRS-I, New Horizons and LSST (free ticket required)
       8PM - UMd. Obs. - Exploration with Small Spacecraft
22 - 5:30PM - GMU Obs.
24 - 7PM - HHMI - Tiny Conspiracies: Cell-to-Cell Communication in Bacteria (free ticket required)
25 - 7:30PM - ASG

gippgig

Feb 21, 2016, 11:38:34 PM2/21/16
to Blabber
Feb. 23 - 6PM - TPS - Space Policy 101 (www.facebook.com/events/451412858395403/)
     29 - AMS - aviation weather (www.facebook.com/DCAMS)

gippgig

Feb 27, 2016, 4:34:02 PM2/27/16
to Blabber
March events
I - 8PM - STScI - Planetary Tales from the Stellat Crypt: Exoplanets Surviving the Death of their Host Star
2 - 5:30PM - YASC - Nuclear Reactors & Neutron Beams (registration)
     6:30PM - DCSC - Three Trillion Trees - a conversation about trees from the global to the hyperlocal
     6:45PM - CSE - Making a Difference: How to Create Stem Cells & Have their Products Change the World (registration required)
3 - 6PM - Neuroscience Seminar Series (NSS; Tenley-Friendship Library, 4450 Wisc. Ave. (202) 727-I488)
4 - 8PM - PSW - From Fragments to Classical Forms   Reconstructing Greek Bronzes and the Greek and Roman Trade in Art

5 - 8PM - UMd. Obs.
8 - IPM - ST - All You Need to Know About Life on Earth (registration)
     7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
9 - 7:30PM - HacDC
I0 - IPM - NASM - WNIA? - Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera
I2 - 7:30PM - NCA - Neutron Star Collisions
I3 - 7PM - NoVAC - New Horizons
I4 - 7PM - GMU Obs. - A New Era in Astronomy: The Detection of Gravitational Waves
I5 - 6:30PM - Nerds in NoMa - Urban Adventure
      7PM - RSC - Mythbusting Dietary Supplements
I6 - 6:45PM - MNC - Nature Matters - Capital Naturalist (registration)
I7 - 6PM - NSS
      7PM - HAL - LORRI camera (New Horizons)
I8 - 8PM - PSW - Genetically Engineered Livestock   Bringing 2Ist Century Medicines to the Developing World
I9 - I:30PM - NCAS - Reproducibility of Scientific Findings: Barriers and Solutions
20 - 8PM - UMd. Obs.
28 - 7PM - GMU Obs. - 25 Years of Hubble
3I - 6PM - NSS
      7:30PM - ASG - Black Holes & Gravitational Waves
      8PM - NASM (UHC) - Building Stars, Planets, and the Ingredients for Life in Space (free ticket required)

Bobby Baum

Feb 29, 2016, 12:57:07 AM2/29/16
to Blabber
5 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - The challenges of directly imaging Earth-like
exoplanets around nearby stars
20 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - Active Galactic Nuclei: Shining a Light on
Supermassive Black Holes and Galaxy Evolution
Message has been deleted

gippgig

Mar 15, 2016, 5:56:58 AM3/15/16
to Blabber
I6 - IPM - APS - The Permian Extinction (250 Mya)
24 - 6PM - DASER - Art and Science Integration (registration & photo ID required)
29 - 7PM - UMd. Virtual and Augmented Reality Lab Tour (dcswa.org/event/exclusive-tour-of-virtual-and-augmented-reality-lab/; email vice...@dcswa.org to register)
Also, there is a showing of the movie Sky Line (about space elevator research) March I6 at 6:30PM at the National Academy of Sciences (registration at DASER site & photo ID required)

gippgig

Mar 30, 2016, 3:14:35 AM3/30/16
to Blabber
April events
I - I0AM-3PM - NASM - National Robotics Week
    8PM - PSW - Surveying the Universe
4 - 4PM - UMd.- Biophysics Seminar (room CHEM0II2; st...@umd.edu)
5 - 8PM - UMd. Obs. - Rosetta Results
                STScI - Why We Need to Understand Stars to Find the Next Earth
6 - 5:30PM - YASC - Cell Culture in 3D: The Benefits of Hollow Fiber Bioreactors
     6:30PM - Wearable Technology: Connecting Entrepreneurs to National Security Needs (registration required - www. arlingtonvirginiausa.com/)
9 - 7:30PM - NCA - The Origin of the Moon
9-I0 - Gas & Steam Engine Show (www.AgHistoryPark.org)
I0 - 7PM - NoVAC - Re-Envisioning the Big Bang
II - 4PM - UMd. - Biophysics Seminar
     7:30PM - GMU Obs. - The Dirt on Cosmic Dust

I2 - 7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
I3 - 6:45PM - CSE - First Rock from the Sun: Exploring Mercury by Spacecraft (registration required)
      7:30PM - HacDC - D-Star
I4 - 6PM - NSS
      6:30PM - Science on Stage - Comedy, Music, Poetry & More (www.dcswa.org)
I5 - 8PM - PSW - The Exploration of Pluto
I6-I7 - USASEF
I8 - 4PM - UMd. - Biophysics Seminar
I9 - 6:30PM - Nerds in NoMa - Capital Climate Change (registration)
      7PM - RSC - Strange Glow - The Story of Radiation
20 - IPM - APS - Earth's Changing Sea Ice Coverage and its Connections with Broader Climate Change and Geoengineering
       8PM - UMd. Obs. - James Webb Space Telescope - Science and Status Update
2I - 7PM - HAL - ACEAP trip to Chile
22 - 7:30PM - BNC - Arch. Soc. Md. - tribal recognition (registration - #14744)
24 - noon-5PM - Rockville Science Day
25 - 4PM - UMd. - Biophysics Seminar
       7:30PM - GMU Obs. - New Horizons Mission to Pluto and Charon
26 - IIAM - NASM - WNIA? - Science and Spacewalking at the International Space Station
28 - 6PM - NSS
       7:30PM - ASG
       8PM - NASM - Searching for Life in our Solar System (free ticket required)
30 - I0AM-4PM - UMd. - Maryland Day (marylandday.umd.edu)

gippgig

Apr 20, 2016, 4:40:42 AM4/20/16
to Blabber
20 - IIAM - UMd. - Geochemistry seminar (GcS) - Experimental Observations on Ti in Silicate Melts: Implications for Trace Element Thermobarometry (www.geol.umd.edu/department/geochemseminar.php)
                              Chemistry seminar (CS) - Design Concepts for Producing Effective Three-Wavelength Molecular Photo-Switches (www.chem.umd.edu/whats-new/calendar/action~month/)
2I - IIAM - UMd. CS - Supramolecular Catalysis in Synthetic Supercontainers
      3:30PM - UMd. CS - The Use of Laser Spectroscopy to Deliver Insight into the Nuclear Structure of Odd-Copper Nuclei
22 - 3PM - UMd. Geology seminar (GS) - Fracturing olivine via shrinkage cracks: A mechanism for self-sustained mineral carbonation (www.geol.umd.edu/department/seminar.php)
22-24 - The Future Is Here Festival (free Sat. & Sun. tickets - smithsonian.com/future)
26 - IIAM - UMd. CS - Visualizing Protein Misfolding and Aggregation in Stressed Cells
27 - IIAM - UMd. GcS - Non-chondritic iron isotope ratios in planetary mantles as a result of core formation
                           CS - Super-Soft Matter
       7PM - HacDC - Orbiting Power Stations
28 - IIAM - UMd. CS
       6:30PM - NLS - High-Pressure Alchemy (registration)
29 - 3PM - UMd. GS

nancy lessons

Apr 22, 2016, 4:44:17 PM4/22/16
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Cool!!!

Nancy

gippgig

Apr 25, 2016, 3:52:23 AM4/25/16
to Blabber

25 - 10AM - UMdCSS - Selective Search Architectures and Brute Force Scan Techniques for Summarizing Social Media Posts
        11AM - UMdCSS - Differentially Private Bayesian Programming
        noon - UMdBS - Impacts of Coal Ash on the Ecology of Aquatic Animals
        1PM - UMdCSS - Architecture, Models, and Algorithms for Textual Similarity
        4PM - UMdBS - Crystal Structure of an RNA Mimic of GFP Reveals A G-quadruplex Core
        4:30PM - UMdSS - Current and Future Measurements of Ultra-Heavy Galactic Cosmic Rays
26 - 11AM - UMdCSS - Improving Android's Reliability and Security
        1PM - UMdBS - HIV Reverse Transcriptase Fidelity and Inhibition are Modulated By Divalent Cations in A Concentration-Dependent Manner In Vitro
        3:30PM - UMdCSS - Learning Temporal Invariants from Data Streams
        4PM - UMdBS - BYOB- HPGLTools: Helper Functions For High-Throughput Data Analysis in R
                   UMd. physics - Ah-ha Moments Inspired by the Scaling/Collapse of Experimental Data (umdphysics.umd.edu/events/physicscolloquia.html)
27 - 11AM - UMdCSS - Articulatory phonological approach to address acoustic variability in Automatic Speech Recognition
                                      Momentum-Space Entanglement in Quantum Spin Chains
        noon - UMdBS - Of Introns and Entropy
        1:30PM - UMdCSS - Cutting a Cake with a Hammer in Vector Space: Models of Thematic Fit
28 - 12:30PM - UMdCSS - ScienceEverywhere
                         UMdBS - CBMG/MOCB RIPS
        2PM - UMdBS - CBBG/CBCB RIPS
        4PM - UMdBS - PSS
29 - 10:15AM - UMdBS - Variability and Invariance in Speech and Lexical Processing: Evidence from Aphasia and Functional Neuroimaging
        noon - UMdBS - ENTM Talk
        12:15PM - UMdCSS - Coherent three-photon process for creating metastable degenerate gasses of alkaline-earth-like atoms

UMd. biology seminars (UMdBS) - www.bisi.umd.edu/events/ (BEES=Behavior, Ecology, Evolution and Systematics BYOB=Bring Your Own Bioinformatics CBBG=Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, and Genomics CBCB=Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology CBG=Computational Biology and Genomics CBMG=Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics MOCB=Molecular and Cellular Biology PSS=Plant Science Seminar RIPS=Research in Progress Seminar)
         computer science seminars (UMdCSS) - www.cs.umd.edu/events

gippgig

May 1, 2016, 3:11:58 AM5/1/16
to Blabber
May events
1 - 7PM - NoVAC - Accessories to Improve Your Astronomical Observing
2 - 11AM - UMdPS - Quantum Cognition: Neural processing with nuclear spins
      noon - UMbBS - BISI-BEES
      2PM - UMdBS - BISI-MOCB Dissertation
      4PM - UMdBpS - Decloaking the invisible: How ubiquitous are transient lowly populated RNA states in biology?
      4:30PM - UMdSS
3 - 11AM - UMdCS - The Versatile Beta-Barrel Gives Up a Novel Hydrophobicity Scale and Other Secrets of the Membrane
     12:30PM - UMdBS - Regulation of Opsin Gene Expression in Cichlid Fishes
     1PM - UMdPS - Emergent topological excitations in systems of ultracold dipolar particles
     1:15PM - UMdPS - Linear response bounds far-from-equilibrium current fluctuations
     8PM - STScI - Cosmic Knowledge and the Long-term Strategy of the Human Race
4 - 9AM - UMdBS - CBMG Dissertation Seminar
     10AM-3PM - NASM - Space Day
     11AM - UMdGcS
                 UMdCSS
     noon - UMdBS - BISI-MOCB
     4PM - UMdPS - Belief propagation bounds for Ising phase transitions on graphs
                               Forward Particle Production at Colliders
     7PM - HacDC - Intro to Linux
5 - 11AM - UMdCS
                 UMdPS - New Perspectives on Quantum Simulation with Alkaline-Earth Atoms
     12:30PM - UMdCSS - On the role of gamification in citizen engagement: What is it good for, and what not?
                      UMdBS - CBMG/MOCB RIPS
                      UMdPS - AD

     2PM - UMdBS - CBBG/CBCB RIPS
                UMdPS - Anomalous Hall and Kerr effects from diffractive skew scattering: examples of Kondo TIs and p-wave superconductors

     4PM - UMdBS - PSS
     9PM - UMd. Obs. - The Challenges of Directly Imaging Earth-like Exoplanets Around Nearby Stars
6 - noon - UMdBS - CBMG
                                ENTM Talk
     12:15PM - UMdPS - JQI-QuICS-CMTC Lunch Seminar
     3PM - UMdPS - JQI
     8PM - PSW - LIGO, Gravitational Waves, and Colliding Black Holes
9 - 11AM - UMdPS - JQI
     1PM - UMdCSS - Separations in query complexity using cheat sheets
     4PM - UMdBpS
               UMdPS - Adler's Zeros and A Universal Lagrangian for a PNGB Higgs
     4:30PM - UMdSS
     6:30PM - CSE - CRISPR Biology and the New Era of Genome Engineering (registration required)
10 - 11AM - UMdPS - CMTC
        4PM - UMdBS - BYOB

        7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
11 - 11AM - UMdGcS
                   UMdBS - BISI Dissertation Seminar
       7:30PM - HacDC
12 - 12:30PM - UMdBS - CBMG/MOCB RIPS
                         UMdPS - AD

       2PM - UMdBS - CBBG/CBCB RIPS
       8PM - NASM - NASA's Mission to Europa: Exploring a Potentially Habitable World (free ticket required)
13 - noon - UMdBS - CBMG Dissertation Seminar
                                  ENTM Talk
       1:30PM - UMdCSS - A Delta for Hybrid-Type Checking
14 - 1:30PM - NCAS - Author discussion: The Man Who Stalked Einstein: How Nazi Scientist Phillip Lenard Changed the Course of History
       7:30PM - NCA - Magnetars
15 - 2PM - NASM - Astronomy Chat - Stars that swallow their planets
17 - 11AM - UMdPS - Searching for topological phases in transition metal; oxide thin films and heterostructures
        1PM - NASM - WNIA? - Cleaning Up Outer Space
18 - 1PM - APS - Tuning Electronic Structure and the Search for New Quantum States
        7PM - HacDC - Intro to Linux
19 - 11AM - UMdPS - CMTC
       12:30PM - UMdPS - AD
       2PM - UMdBS - CBBG/CBCB RIPS - Commencement
       6PM - DASER - empathy (registration & photo ID required)
       6:30PM - NLS - Beyond Pluto: The Hunt for Planet X (registration recommended)
       7PM - HAL - LIGO
20 - noon - UMdBS - CBMG
       9PM - UMd. Obs. - Do we really only understand 4% of the universe?
24 - 10AM - UMdBS - Using a Combination of Phylogenetic Comparative and Paleobotanical Methods to Elucidate Patterns of Lineage Selection in Rosales (Planta: Anthphyta)
25 - 11AM - UMdPS - Are these Majoranas?
        6:45PM - CSE - Finding Your Inner Fish (registration required)
26 - 12:30PM - UMdBS - CBMG/MOCB RIPS
                         UMdPS - AD

        2PM - UMdBS - CBBG/CBCB RIPS
        7:30PM - ASG - Understanding our Closest and Smallest Stellar Neighbors
27 - noon - UMdBS - Germline reprogramming and epigenetic inheritance: how to avoid BadKarma

UMd. biology seminars (UMdBS) - www.bisi.umd.edu/events/ (BEES=Behavior, Ecology, Evolution and Systematics BYOB=Bring Your Own Bioinformatics CBBG=Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, and Genomics CBCB=Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology CBG=Computational Biology and Genomics CBMG=Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics MOCB=Molecular and Cellular Biology PSS=Plant Science Seminar RIPS=Research in Progress Seminar)
          computer science seminars (UMdCSS) - www.cs.umd.edu/events
          physics seminars (UMdPS) - umdphysics.umd.edu/events/calendar.html (AD=Applied Dynamics, CNAM=Center for Nanophysics and Advanced Materials, CMTC=Condensed Matter Theory Center, HEP=High Energy Physics, ISP=Informal Statistical Physics, JQI=Joint Quantum Institute)

Bobby Baum

May 2, 2016, 4:54:52 AM5/2/16
to Blabber
May 2 - 11AM - UMdSS - Mrk 231: The Nearest Laboratory to Study Quasar
Feedback in Action, Slim Accretion Disks, but not Binary Black Holes
2PM - UMdSS - Pals
4:30PM - UMdSS - The Little Mission that could: BARREL
observations of a solar storm
4 - 4:05PM - UMdSS - The Circumgalactic Medium
5 - 4PM - UMdSS - BANG
9 - 11AM - UMdSS - New observations of (4179) Toutatis from the
Change-2 flyby mission and future Chinese mission to asteroids
2PM - UMdSS - Pals

UMd. space seminars (UMdSS) - space.umd.edu.seminars/ &
www.astro.umd.edu (AC=Astronomy Colloquia (Wed. 4:05PM CSS 2400),
BANG=Better Astronomy for a New Generation (Thur. 4PM PSC 1136),
CTC=CTC Theory Lunch (Mon. 11AM PSC 1136), LCS=LMA/CARMA Seminar (3PM
PSC 2136), Pals=Planetary Astronomy Late-afternoon Seminar (Mon. 2PM),
SCRPS=Space and Cosmic Ray Physics Seminar (Mon. 4:30PM CSS 2400))

Bobby Baum

May 3, 2016, 4:26:12 AM5/3/16
to Blabber
May 5 - 3PM - UMdCS - Amino-Functionalized Core-Shell Magnetic
Nanomaterial as a Novel Absorbent for Aqueous Heavy Metals Removal
9 - there is no UMdSS at 4:30PM
18 - 2PM - UMdBS - CBMG Dissertation

Bobby Baum

May 3, 2016, 4:03:32 PM5/3/16
to Blabber
May 4 - 5:30PM - YASC - Nuclear Methods of Analysis (registration)
5 - 3:30PM - UMd. meteorology seminar (UMdMS) - AOSC Student Research Symposium
10 - 1PM - ST - A Swiss Treat
17 - 7PM - RSC - Hear... All About It

nancy lessons

May 3, 2016, 9:20:22 PM5/3/16
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Cool!!

Nancy

gippgig

May 29, 2016, 6:44:44 PM5/29/16
to Blabber
May 31 - 6:30PM - MAA - Restricted Patterns of the Past, Present and Future (registration)
June events
1 - 11AM - UMdPS - Universal Aspects of Quantum Thermalization
     1PM - NOAA - Forbidding (for now) Fishing for Unfished Forage Fish: A West Coast Fisheries Policy Odyssey
     8PM - NASM - Going to Extremes: Putting the Squeeze on Life (free ticket required)
2 - 11:30AM - NOAA - The North American Multi-Model Ensemble Seasonal Prediction System: Research, Operations, and Applications
     noon - NOAA - Effectively Communicating Climate Change to the American Public: Challenges and Opportunities

     2PM - UMdBS - CBBG/CBCB RIPS
3 - 9:30AM - UMdPS - ARTIQ: the Advanced Real-Time Infrastructure for Quantum physics
4 - 10AM-3PM - NASM - Space Day
5 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - black holes?
7 - noon - NOAA - Adding Storm-Scale Forecasts over Nested Domains for High-Impact Weather
     8PM - STScI - Probing Worlds Beyond Our Solar System
8 - 11AM - UMdPS - Parallel repetition theorems for all entangled games
     noon - NOAA - Phragmites -- Coming to your backyard: Can anything be done about it?
     1PM - NOAA - Flash Droughts over the United States
     6PM - YASC - Emergent Biosolutions
     6:30PM - MAA - A Mathematical Mindset: Mitigating America's Achievement Gap (registration)

     7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
9 - noon - NOAA - Integrating Ecophysiology and Downscaled Climate Models to Forecast Climate Change Impacts on San Francisco Bay-Delta fishes
     1PM - NASM - WNIA? - Appropriate Attire

     2PM - UMdBS - CBBG/CBCB RIPS
10 - 3:30PM - UMdBS - GEMS (Genetics with Eukaryotic Model Systems)
11 - 7:30PM - NCA - Science Fair Winners, Astro-Photos!
12 - 7PM - NoVAC - How to Find the Apollo Landing Sites
14 - 1PM - ST - Backyard Beauty
       7:30PM - HacDC
       8PM - NASM - Spaceflight: Then, Now, and Next (free ticket required - sold out)
15 - 1PM - APS - The Secret Lives of Solar Prominences
16 - noon - NOAA - Finding Forced Trends in Oceanic Oxygen
       7PM - HAL - great solar eclipse of 2017
17 - 1PM - NOAA - Responses of Alaskan Groundfishes to Ocean Acidification
20 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - The Early Moon as an Exoplanet
21 - 7PM - RSC - GMOs - Understanding the Science
23 - noon - NOAA - Tropical cyclones, derelict fishing gear, and the future of the south Florida commercial lobster fishery
       8PM - NASM - How to Find an Inhabited Exoplanet (free ticket required)
24 - 2PM - UMdPS - Phenomenology of Left-Right Symmetric Dark Matter
26 - 11AM - NASM - Astronomy Chat - stars that swallow their planets
27 - 11AM - UMdPS - Entanglement Properties and Quantum Phase Transitions in Interacting Disordered One Dimensional Systems
29 - 7PM - MNC - Nature Matters: Climate Change on Native Plants (registration)
30 - 7:30PM - ASG

NOAA - www.nodc.noaa.gov/seminars/index.html (1305 East-West Hwy., Silver Spring, Md. 20910 & 5830 University Research Court, College Park, Md. 20740; possible obnoxious security; may require advance notice)

gippgig

Jun 10, 2016, 7:11:19 PM6/10/16
to Blabber
13 - 6:45PM - Carnegie Inst. - 25 Years Ago at Pinatubo: The Forecast, Climax, and Aftermath of a Giant Eruption (registration required)
14 - noon - NOAA - Evaluating the Accuracy of the High Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Model Using Satellite Infrared Brightness Temperatures
                                Tracing Deepwater Horizon into Coastal Marine Bacterial Communities
15 - 3PM - NOAA - A unified approach to land modeling
21 - 1PM - UMdPS - Nuclear Theory Seminar
22 - 11AM - UMdPS - How to encrypt a quantum state
       1PM - NOAA - Water flooding and inundation from satellites
28 - noon - NOAA - The Chemical Aquatic Fate and Effects database: Past, Present and Future
29 - noon - NOAA - Valuing Ecosystem Services Following Superstorm Sandy: Restoration and Coastal Protection in New Jersey and New York

Bobby Baum

Jun 21, 2016, 4:02:43 AM6/21/16
to Blabber
June 29 - 1PM - Carnegie Inst. - Innovation to Power the Nation
(registration recommended)

gippgig

Jun 29, 2016, 3:52:47 AM6/29/16
to Blabber
June 30 - noon - NOAA - Marine Planning in British Columbia: The Great Bear Sea
                                         Observations, Ray-tracing, and Data Assimilation in Aerosol Assessment
                1PM - NOAA - Biofouling - Mitigation approaches and current solutions
July events:
5 - 8PM - STScI
     9PM - UMd. Obs. - Simulations of Fermi Bubbles
7 - 7:30PM - NCAS - Doubt and Denial as Challenges to, and in, Teaching Climate Change
10 - 7PM - NoVAC
12 - 1PM - ST - The Birds (registration)

       7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
13 - noon - NOAA - Species in the Spotlight, Part 1: Species and Overview
       7:30PM - HacDC
14 - noon - NASM - Astronomy Chat - cosmology
       2PM - UMdBS - CBCB/CBBG RIP
                  NOAA - VDatum: NOAA's Vertical Datum Transformation Tool
18 - noon - NOAA - New Techniques in Bathymetric Mapping and Coastal Change Analysis: from UAVs to Satellites
19 - 7PM - RSC - Diamonds, Rubies & Emeralds
20 - 11AM - UMdCSS - QuICS
       2PM - NOAA - Species in the Spotlight, Part 2: Hawaiian Monk Seal
       9PM - UMd. Obs. - Can Supermassive Black Holes Influence the Evolution of Entire Galaxies?
21 - noon - NOAA - Impacts of Climate Change and Ocean Acidification on Coral Reef Fisheries
       2PM - UMdBS - CBCB/CBBG RIP: Driver genes in Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy
       7PM - HAL - STEREO mission
27 - 11AM - UMdCSS - QuICS
       noon - NOAA - Species in the Spotlight, Part 3: Atlantic Salmon
28 - 7:30PM - ASG
29 - 10AM-3PM - NASM - Mars Day!
31 - 11AM - NASM - Astronomy Chat - stars that swallow their planets

gippgig

Jul 9, 2016, 4:19:36 PM7/9/16
to Blabber
11 - 11AM -UMdCSS - Using model checking to improve the quality of complex industrial software
       noon - NOAA - Insights into Earth's energy imbalance from multiple sources
13 - noon - NOAA - SOS Cafe: Crowd-sourcing weather reports with mPING
14 - noon - NOAA - The Impacts of Numerical Schemes on Asymmetric Hurricane Intensification
       2PM - UMdBS - CBCB/CBBG RIP: Building a Mechanism to Query and Visualize iHMP data
21 - 11AM - UMdCSS - Rejection and Particle Filtering for Hamiltonian Learning
       noon - NOAA - Migrating without a map - how a non-homing fish finds a suitable river
       12:30PM - NOAA - South American summer monsoon variability since the last ice age
28 - 2PM - UMdBS - CBCB/CBBG RIP: An RNA-centric meeting(s) report (ISMB and TAGC)
       7PM (changed time) - ASG - Movie: Apollo 13

gippgig

Jul 17, 2016, 4:38:55 AM7/17/16
to Blabber
18 - noon - NOAA - Motivation for a JPSS SO2 initiative
       3PM - NOAA - Optimizing Global Hawk flight tracks relative to meteorological features and supplemental observations to maximize TC model intensity and structure forecast improvements
19 - noon - NOAA - EMC Seminar by Tim Schneider and Vijay Tallapragada
 2PM - UMdCSS - PhD Defense: Provable Security for Cryptocurrencies
                              PhD Defense: Trace Oblivious Program Execution
20 - 11AM - UMdCSS - Corrections for more accurate Hamiltonian simulation
21 - 1:10PM - NOAA - From Observing Systems to Global Modeling
       1:30PM - NOAA - Economic Consequence Analysis Tool (E-CAT) for Natural Disasters
27 - noon - NOAA - Coupled Atmospheric Chemistry Schemes for Modeling Regional and Global Atmospheric Chemistry

gippgig

Jul 30, 2016, 10:56:03 PM7/30/16
to Blabber
August events
1 - noon - NOAA - Freezing Precipitation and Freezing Events over Northern Eurasia and North America
2 - 8PM - STScI - The Life Cycle of Dust in Galaxies
3 - 2PM - NOAA - Species in the Spotlight, Part 4 of 9: White Abalone
4 - 11AM - UMdPS - Optical studies of a two-dimensional electron system in a cavity: quantum Hall polaritons
5 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - Gamma Ray Bursts: Nature's Most Remarkable Explosions
8 - 1PM - NOAA - GSI-based Hybrid Ensemble-Variational Data Assimilation for Global, Hurricane and Storm-scale Numerical Weather Prediction
9 - 1PM - ST - Weather Phenomena

     7:30PM - HacDC - monthly meeting
10 - noon - NOAA - Species in the Spotlight, Part 5 of 9: Central California Coho Salmon
       7:30PM - HacDC - Amateur Radio Integration in Disasters
11 - noon - NOAA - Climate and Health Assessment of the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP), Part 3: Temperature and Extremes Related Illness and Death
      2PM - NOAA - Understanding Information on National Geodetic Survey (NGS) Datasheets
14 - 7PM - NoVAC - The Study of Pulsars to Detect Gravitational Waves
16 - 7PM - RSC - The Genetics of Sex
17 - 12:15PM - APS - MASPG tour of the NIST National Center for Neutron Research (NCNR) (registration & photo ID required)
       2PM - NOAA - Species in the Spotlight, Part 6 of 9: Pacific Leatherback Sea Turtle
18 - noon - NOAA - Climate and Health Assessment of the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP), Part 4: Air Quality (Focus on aeroallergens and outdoor air quality)
       2PM - UMdBS - CBCB/CBBG RIP: Construction and optimization of individual and cross-species co-expression networks
       7PM - HAL - 4000 Years of Women in Astronomy
20 - 9PM - UMd. Obs. - The Turbulent Life of Galaxy Clusters
23 - noon - NOAA - Protecting Peru's Precious Ocean & Cultural Resources
24 - noon - NOAA - Species in the Spotlight, Part 7 of 9: Sacramento River Winter-run Chinook Salmon
25 - 7:30PM - ASG - Preparing for the 2017 Solar Eclipse
29 - 11AM - UMdPS - Entanglement dynamics following quantum quenches
       3PM - UMdPS - EPT Seminar
31 - noon - NOAA - Species in the Spotlight, Part 8 of 9: Southern Resident Killer Whale
       1:30PM - NOAA - A Transdisciplinary Approach to Valuing Ecosystem Services from Natural Infrastructure

gippgig

Aug 30, 2016, 3:49:22 AM8/30/16
to Blabber
I'm moving the event list to the Wiki under the heading: Area science event list
Here are a few events of particular interest:
Sept. 2 - 11AM - UMdCSS - Interactive Design Tools for the Maker Movement
9 - 8PM - PSW - Bitcoin and the Blockchain: What are they? Will they reshape the world?
25 - noon-5PM - Maker Faire Silver Spring

Bobby Baum

Aug 31, 2016, 12:46:27 AM8/31/16
to Blabber
The event list is now at wiki.hacdc.org/index.php/Area_science_event_list
I will now be updating the list more or less continuously instead of
at the start of each month; check for the current version (and add any
relevant events I've missed).
It is loading more messages.