is this still being developed?

Not Jesus

May 27, 2015, 3:07:00 PM5/27/15
to Byza...@hacdc.org
I havent seen an update to this in a while. Whats going on? I hope Project Byzantium isn't dead.

Ben Mendis

May 27, 2015, 4:16:01 PM5/27/15
to Byza...@hacdc.org
When does a project "die"?

The reality is that there hasn't been any updates in a while becase
there hasn't been any progress in a while.

None of us have died, but we all let life events (like moving or
changing jobs) get in the way of continuing the project. I think to some
extent we were all burned out after completing the ISC grant, and we
never managed to regain our momentum afterwards.

I still have a bunch of ideas that are relevant to Byzantium on my todo
list. However I my todo list is filled with ideas I may never find time
to implement. And maybe in the case of Byzantium that's not so terrible.

Since we started this project, the landscape, and my understanding of
it, have changed. The problem we originally set out to solve turned out
to be not as big of a deal as we thought. And since we started our
project, numerous other mesh networking projects have sprung up which
seem to be filling the needs we were trying to address.

My instinct tells me that Byzantium, as it exists now, is not really
that compelling. Some of the underlying components certainly are, but
the project as a whole misses the mark.

This is why I think the whole team has been content to let it stagnate.

Most of the feedback I've seen from people trying to use Byzantium have
fallen into two categories:

1. Those who would be better served by a different, often more mature,
project. For example, Commotion Wireless has a fantastic platoform for
building community wireless networks.

2. Those who are interested in using some of the underlying components
of Byzantium to build something different. In particular, this is a
common request from the RaspberryPi community, however we have also
heard that people want to use mesh networking on their laptop without
replacing the OS. I think this warrants either taking Byzantium in a
radically different direction, or forking off a different project.

Here are some questions for anyone who would like to see Byzantium rise
from the ashes. Think about it and post your answers to the list.

How are you using Byzantium? Or how would you like to use Byzantium?

Why do you think it is still necessary or relevant?

Why should we prioritize Byzantium over solving other problems?

What can you do to support the development of Byzantium?

Best regards,
Ben the Pyrate

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:07:00PM -0700, Not Jesus wrote:
>I havent seen an update to this in a while. Whats going on? I hope Project Byzantium isn't dead.

Sky-kk6sky

May 27, 2015, 5:09:27 PM5/27/15
to Byza...@hacdc.org
Several of us here in San Francisco learned a lot about wireless mesh from Byzantium. We experimented and learned. It affected both the formal and the informal emergency services. We aren’t using Byzaitium right now, but it informed our work and we thank you!

One may not always know what they have added to the world — the butterfly flaps its wings and a storm changes course.

-Sky

"Sky" (Jim Schuyler)
—Amateur Radio KK6SKY
—The future has arrived, and the label says “some assembly required.”
http://kk6sky.us/
s...@kk6sky.us

The Doctor

May 27, 2015, 7:16:08 PM5/27/15