byzpi image

Mitch Carney

Jun 5, 2015, 3:26:21 PM6/5/15
to Byza...@hacdc.org
so I just tried to get the byzpi image twice and both times in my new windows 8.1 computer it just says that the file is corrupted and wont mount. This is after win32diskimager stalled with it on my first attempt. I just thought that the program might not work correctly in win 8.1. do I need to use win 7 or linux to do this? my linux comp doesn't have an sd card slot and my win 7 comp has a broken fan so that's not an easy option. I was able to install some of byzpi through a curl command from some other guys take on the project on github but I'm not happy with the results as it doesn't have the functionality that I think a reglar byzpi install would have. Is there something wrong with the file or is it just so big I'm having issues getting a clean copy. Is this normal for win 8.1?

The Doctor

Jun 6, 2015, 1:46:38 PM6/6/15
to Byza...@hacdc.org

On 06/05/2015 12:26 PM, Mitch Carney wrote:
> so I just tried to get the byzpi image twice and both times in my
> new windows 8.1 computer it just says that the file is corrupted
> and wont mount.
This is
> after win32diskimager stalled with it on my first attempt. I just
thought that
> the program might not work correctly in win 8.1. do I need to use
win 7 or
> linux to do this? my linux comp doesn't have an sd card slot and
> my
win 7

Are you trying to mount the .img file to access its contents, or are
you trying to burn it onto an SD card for a RasPi?

> comp has a broken fan so that's not an easy option. I was able to
install
> some of byzpi through a curl command from some other guys take on
> the project on github but I'm not happy with the results as it
> doesn't
have the
> functionality that I think a reglar byzpi install would have. Is
there something

That's a developer's build, from scratch. That's a good sign, and
yes, the Github repo is a work-in-progress.

> wrong with the file or is it just so big I'm having issues getting
clean copy.
> Is this normal for win 8.1?

I'm decompressing a copy on my laptop right now... just a moment...

The ByzPi image is a complete disk image with three partitions in it:

[drwho@windbringer tmp]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/loop0
Disk /dev/loop0: 29.8 GiB, 32022462464 bytes, 62543872 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000d2cae

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/loop0p1 * 2048 155647 153600 75M b W95 FAT32
/dev/loop0p2 155648 655359 499712 244M 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/loop0p3 655360 62541823 61886464 29.5G 83 Linux

It uses an original DOS partition table, which might be what's
throwing Windows. v8.1 might not have support for non-GPT partition
tables anymore.

For what it's worth, there is only one Win32 partition on that disk
image, which corresponds to /boot in the OS. It's a VFAT file system,
which Windows 8.1 might not recognize anymore, either. It's been so
long since I've touched a Windows machine that I'm not up on the finer
points of its capabilities anymore. The other two partitions are a
standard Linux swap partition, and a standard Linux partition (neither
of which Windows would have any support for accessing).

If you can borrow someone's Win7 laptop and give it a go with a USB SD
card adapter, that'll help us figure out what's going on.

- --
The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415] [ZS]

PGP: 0x807B17C1 / 7960 1CDC 85C9 0B63 8D9F DD89 3BD8 FF2B 807B 17C1
WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

FizerPharm: Flexible ethics for a complex world.

Mitch Carney

Jun 6, 2015, 4:01:23 PM6/6/15
to Byza...@hacdc.org
yeah I was trying to get byzpi on an micro sd disc by copying contents after mounting. win 8.1 just thinks the files corrupted when I try to mount. I used win32diskimager successfully after trying again. I''m not sure why it stalled on my first attempt. I successfully got a raspbian image working so I know win32diskimager works on win 8.1. I then used it for the byzpi file I had downloaded. Unfortunately when I tried it on the pi2 it didn't boot up into anything. BTW I recently finished a c systems programming course for my degree. I'm still getting used to linux's intricacies  but did all my classwork on it. If I can help at all with byzantium I'd like too, especially getting it to work on the pi. I also saw your hope 9 presentation when I was there.

The Doctor

Jun 11, 2015, 2:51:02 PM6/11/15
to Byza...@hacdc.org