odds and ends

gippgig

Jan 16, 2014, 6:04:51 PM1/16/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Rockville Science Day is April 6 at Montgomery College (www.rockvillescience.org/rcsday.html). This would be a good event for HacDC to have an exhibit at. (I'm in contact with the group running this; I gave them the HacDC pamphlet.)

Interesting websites: www.spacedaily.com - a brute force press release amalgamator. You really need to sort the wheat from the chaff but there's a lot of wheat.
www.futurity.org - similar idea but only covers universities so it lacks the BS but also a lot of the good stuff.
www.planet4589.org/jsr.html - space launch report
pubs.acs.org/JACSbeta/jvi/ - JACS Select, free (when they get the bugs out) access to articles on a particular topic
www.newscientist.com - register for free access to many good articles
radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=lwx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no - local weather radar

This sounds like the same thing Mirage is working on: www.mebotics.com/microfactory.html

Lab experiments on the web: www.bristol.ac.uk/physics/research/quantum/qcloud/ - operate a quantum computer!
www.spacedaily.com/reports/Bring_a_50000_degree_plasma_into_your_living_room_999.html - a glow discharge experiment at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab

Open source 3D-printable optics lab equipment: www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0059840

This sounds like the same thing as Project Byzantium (is it?): maryland.projectmeshnet.org (There's supposed to be a node in Columbia Heights: wiki.projectmeshnet.org/index.php?title=DC_Meshnet&oldid=5764). Making this and Byzantium compatible seems like a really good idea.

Interesting item on cryptography: Academics should not remain silent on hacking (Nature vol. 504 issue 7480 p. 333). See OpenAudit.org & go.nature.com/nsvdjh

gippgig

Jan 18, 2014, 10:06:18 PM1/18/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

gippgig

Sep 22, 2019, 3:02:37 PM9/22/19
to Blabber
Worth a look (& supports what I've been saying):
Valuing time over money predicts happiness after a major life transition: A preregistered longitudinal study of graduating students
Science Advances Vol. 5 issue 9 eaax2615
doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aax2615

gippgig

Dec 30, 2019, 11:23:02 PM12/30/19
to Blabber
Advance versions of many scientific papers are available on preprint servers. arXiv is well known but there are many others. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preprint for a list.

gippgig

May 28, 2020, 10:07:24 PM5/28/20
to Blabber
The Post published another of my letters (p. A22) about the benefits of shutting down the economy.

Peter James

May 29, 2020, 4:38:06 AM5/29/20
to Bla...@hacdc.org, gippgig
???

The Holocaust had some benefits, but most would argue, on whole, not such a great event.

Please post your article for comments.
On May 28, 2020 at 10:07 PM gippgig <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:

The Post published another of my letters (p. A22) about the benefits of shutting down the economy.

Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here: http://hacdc.org/membership/

pste...@gwi.net

May 29, 2020, 12:40:46 PM5/29/20
to Bla...@hacdc.org, gippgig

I hear Berlin was -- excuse me -- booming right about 1945.

Bobby, I doubt I fully agree with you but I will read your letter.

Phil

gippgig

Jun 29, 2020, 2:41:49 AM6/29/20
to Blabber, gip...@gmail.com
Citizen science tools: scistarter.org/tools

gippgig

Aug 12, 2020, 2:36:22 AM8/12/20
to Blabber, gip...@gmail.com
Worth looking at:
How scientists can stop fooling themselves    www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02275-8
Statistical dark arts endanger democracy - and life   www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02280-x

gippgig

Sep 20, 2020, 4:02:23 AM9/20/20
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Oct 10, 2020, 3:30:24 AM10/10/20
to Blabber, gippgig
This looks relevant to HacDC: Spatial inequalities leave micropolitan areas and Indigenous populations underserved by informal STEM learning institutions
Science Advances Vol. 6 no. 41 eabb3819   doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abb3819

gippgig

Feb 13, 2021, 4:10:40 PM2/13/21
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Mar 3, 2021, 12:09:52 AM3/3/21
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Mar 17, 2021, 4:04:56 PM3/17/21
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Oct 17, 2021, 3:05:06 AM10/17/21
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Nov 22, 2021, 6:45:05 PM11/22/21
to Blabber, gippgig
Might be of interest (altho I doubt anyone at HacDC would actually be interested in buying any of this):
www.thebranfordgroup.com/dnn3/Auction/N2IM1221.aspx

gippgig

Dec 8, 2021, 6:14:42 PM12/8/21
to Blabber, gippgig
Free place to live in exchange for maintenance:

The Bannockburn Community Club is searching for a new Resident Caretaker for its historic Clubhouse, set on beautifully landscaped, tree-lined grounds just off MacArthur Blvd. in Bethesda.

The Resident Caretaker and their family reside in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom modern apartment in the east wing of the Clubhouse. The apartment boasts light-filled living spaces, a renovated kitchen, and a spacious elevated patio for relaxing and entertaining. Parking and all utilities, including WiFi, are provided by the Club. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the property.

In exchange for free rent, utilities, and parking, the Resident Caretaker performs an average of 8-12 hours of work per week on behalf of the Club. Precise list of duties subject to negotiation and dependent on the applicant’s background and skills, but generally include: walking the building and grounds daily to spot any issues that need to be addressed; mowing and edging the lawns; routine building maintenance tasks like replacing air filters, changing light bulbs, clearing leaf litter, snow removal, etc.; managing security and fire alarms; assisting renters and tenants with issues that may arise and ensuring proper clean-up after events; overseeing contractors hired by the Board who perform more specialized on-site work. Many events held at the Clubhouse take place outside of normal business hours, and the candidate should be comfortable with the noise and occasional demands of evening and weekend events.

Qualified candidates will be comfortable climbing a 15-foot ladder and carrying up to 50 pounds, handy, reliable, possess strong English communication skills, and have a desire to become part of a vibrant, active community of neighbors. Two references and background check required. Exceptional candidates will possess advanced trade skills in carpentry, plumbing, or groundskeeping, and/or demonstrated accomplishment in customer relationship management. Couples wishing to jointly fill the role by sharing responsibilities will be considered. Position reports directly to the Board of Directors. Start date on or after January 2, 2022.

The Bannockburn Community Club is a non-profit neighborhood organization which is responsible for the maintenance of the clubhouse building and grounds. The building also is home to two long term tenants – the Bannockburn Nursery School and The British Players theatre company. You can learn more about Bannockburn at www.bannockburncommunity.org

Interested candidates should email a summary of their qualifications and a statement of interest to Susan Wexler, BCC President, at conta...@bannockburncommunity.org by Tuesday, December 21, 2021.

gippgig

Nov 29, 2022, 8:31:34 PM11/29/22
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Dec 2, 2022, 3:30:28 PM12/2/22
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Jan 14, 2023, 6:44:51 PM1/14/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Jan 14, 2023, 6:49:14 PM1/14/23
to Blabber, gippgig
Virus surveillance, more open access papers, a vaccine for bees, & AI conference bans AI::

gippgig

Jan 20, 2023, 6:35:44 PM1/20/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Jan 22, 2023, 2:14:15 AM1/22/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Mar 1, 2023, 4:31:15 PM3/1/23
to Blabber, gippgig
No idea if these are still available... (Bethesda, Md.)

We have 3 different pop up tents / shades that we’ve had in storage since moving here. (Image attached)
I’m setting them out on the curb at our rental at 6306 West Halbert Drive. They’re up for grabs for who ever gets here first!
Marsha Ashley

gippgig

Aug 25, 2023, 2:53:55 AM8/25/23
to Blabber, gippgig
Might be of interest: doee.dc.gov/service/fix-it-dc

gippgig

Sep 9, 2023, 2:44:15 AM9/9/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Oct 5, 2023, 1:46:25 PM10/5/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Dec 7, 2023, 2:17:41 AM12/7/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Jan 14, 2024, 1:08:30 AMJan 14
to Blabber, gippgig
Actinide Research Quarterly
www.lanl.gov.arq
This publication by Los Alamos National Laboratory covers everything from the chemistry of transuranium elements to the engineering involved in making nuclear weapon components.