ISO hinge fix ideas

David Lotts

Mar 21, 2023, 5:54:26 PM3/21/23
to HacDC Public Discussion
I haven't posted for a while, so I hope this is still appropriate use of this channel! I hope everybody's doing well.

My wife's beloved travel computer has been around the world a couple times. it's functionally in great shape, however the hinges have completely cracked from the case especially on the right side. I am linking two photos. I used my covid home test card to highlight where the hinge should be and then broken piece off on the side. the other photo shows where the piece goes except for a little chunk off to the side.

I think the best way to fix it is to replace the entire plastic box that attaches the keyboard and motherboard. but I'm hoping to do something quicker cheaper and maybe even more sound.  how would you approach this if you weren't worried about looks, unconventional hackery, and silly things like that?

Thanks!
david.
David Lotts

David Lotts

Mar 22, 2023, 10:42:35 PM3/22/23
to HacDC Public Discussion
Okay, Hacdc,
I got your response, via your lack of reply. You are right, of
course, why waste good maker/hacker skills on commodity hardware
unless I'm making something new out of it, like a spacecraft, or
computer guided spiral spinning droplet water gun. You said: just buy
the part, fix it, and get on to real projects, geesh!

So I am following your advice. Instead of using my 3d printer to make
a new case for the little computer, I hear you say "Don't make
something you can buy!" . I found the entire palmrest top cover for
$25 on ebay. Crazy.

Hope to see you all at the Celebration of Alberto Gaitán in a week and a half.
david.

Ethan Waldo

Mar 23, 2023, 12:20:54 AM3/23/23
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Glad to hear my lack of response ended up being so helpful.  If you ever feel like being ignored in real-time on a more modern platform, you might consider joining the HacDC discord server.

Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here: http://hacdc.org/membership/

Bobby Baum

Mar 26, 2023, 5:34:55 PM3/26/23
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Try some sort of glue (epoxy?). Maybe drill some holes in the case for
the glue to seep thru for a better connection. Worked on my vacuum
cleaner wheels.
Bobby

David Lotts

Mar 26, 2023, 11:44:39 PM3/26/23
to HacDC Public Discussion
lol!  got a Discord link?  I searched and didn't find anything.
david.

Gabriel Altay

Mar 27, 2023, 9:49:13 AM3/27/23
to Bla...@hacdc.org