safety

gippgig

Jul 16, 2019, 4:21:06 AM7/16/19
to Blabber
Altho unplugged, two soldering irons were left turned on. Always turn the temperature all the way down when finished soldering so they don't start heating up unexpectedly the instant they are plugged in.

gippgig

Oct 22, 2019, 3:08:22 AM10/22/19
to Blabber
Anyone involved with 3D printing SHOULD READ THIS:
reprap.org/wiki/Safety
HacDC's setup is definitely substandard. I plan to do something (but not everything that should be done) about it. For now, keep all flammable materials (in particular spare filament) away from the printers.

gippgig

Oct 24, 2019, 7:57:19 PM10/24/19
to Blabber
There are now clearly labeled kill switches for all the 3D printers (& electronics workbench & laser cutter). Flammable material has been moved away from the printers (the 3D printer instructions are now to the left of the 2D printer).

Other things that should be done SOON:
Install a smoke detector.
Get the recalled fire extinguisher replaced (just call Kidde).
Put metal or other fireproof material under all 3D printers (including filament reels).
Install GFCI & if possible AFCI on electrical outlets.

Everyone should pay attention to the 3D printers and check out any unusual or suspicious behavior.

In addition, an independent monitoring system (like Positive Train Control) should be added to each printer that will shut it down if conditions (i.e., printhead temperature) exceed safe limits. The 3D printers should not be operated unattended until this is done.

gippgig

May 2, 2022, 11:28:03 PM5/2/22
to Blabber, gippgig
I noticed several unnecessary hazards when I visited the space:
Extra filament was stored near (behind) the Monoprice. (Filament can act as an accelerant.)
Isopropyl alcohol (flammable, and the 91% is even more so) was left near (in front of) the Monoprice.
Notebooks were kept next to the new 3D printer.
Flammable materials should be kept away from the printers. (On the other hand, the baking soda behind the Monoprice is not a hazard - it's actually used in fire extinguishers.)

gippgig

Feb 13, 2023, 3:19:33 AM2/13/23
to Blabber, gippgig
Learn to use an automated external defibrillator (AED): Tuesday, February 14, 2023, at 7 p.m. at the Margaret Schweinhaut Senior Center, 1000 Forest Glen Road, Silver Spring (this is a meeting of the Montgomery County Coin Club (one of their members recently had a fatal heart attack))

gippgig

Apr 14, 2023, 5:22:54 AM4/14/23
to Blabber, gippgig
Not directly related to HacDC, but worth knowing about: Puncture-resistant insoles (the ones I just got have something like bulletproof material rather than a metal plate). Definitely worth getting if you might step on a nail.

gippgig

Apr 27, 2023, 8:16:45 PM4/27/23
to Blabber, gippgig