open source 3D metal printer

gippgig

Dec 11, 2013, 5:34:48 AM12/11/13
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Bobby Baum

May 31, 2014, 1:29:45 AM5/31/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
3D-printed rocket engine:
www.spacex.com/press/2014/05/27/spacex-completes-qualification-testing-superdraco-thruster

On 12/11/13, gippgig <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> www.spacemart.com/reports/Scientists_build_a_low_cost_open_source_3D_metal_printer_999.html
>
> --
> Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more and join us here:
> http://hacdc.org/membership/
> --

> email to Blabber+u...@hacdc.org.

shawn wilson

May 31, 2014, 7:03:42 AM5/31/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Here's the paper
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6678531

Looks quite doable. Though I still like the Delta design best (I'll have to research this).

... and Julia said someone had tried welding and had failed... oh well, this field is starting to move real fast. If we don't do what we want, we'll just follow in someone else's footsteps (not a bad thing just not as exciting).

shawn wilson

May 31, 2014, 7:36:19 AM5/31/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Going through the doc, I notice the most expensive part is the welder. So if someone has one of those to donate (per his price list) this becomes a $300 project.

Anyone want to give up a dusty welder? :)

Zachariah Mully

May 31, 2014, 9:10:32 AM5/31/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org, shawn wilson
They're using a simple (though nice) 120v mig welder that you can find for far less than the retail price they quote. My hobart 140 (same exact welder, different color) was < $300 new. You'll need something with gas hookups which excludes only the cheapest horrible freight stuff. You'll spend as much in supplies and parts as you did on the welder, if not more.

Anyone know someone at airgas or Roberts oxygen? If one was going to be built I'm sure we could convince them to sponsor it or at least donate materials for it. It'd be fantastic PR for them.

Julia Longtin

May 31, 2014, 2:06:22 PM5/31/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
there are no pictures of their printed parts. i have seen this article, and am looking at 'lost pla' instead.

shawn wilson

May 31, 2014, 2:44:21 PM5/31/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
see the actual ieee article, page 4

R. Mark Adams, PhD

Jun 1, 2014, 11:08:28 AM6/1/14
to HacDC Public Discussion
Looks like "lost pla" gives a much nicer finish, at least today.  Looking forward to see what happens, though - if the technology improves at anything like the rate of plastic FDM, it is going to be interesting to watch.  I have been hanging onto the materials to make a Gingery-style forge, to try it out - I was really impressed with the results from this (http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/) guy, and would love to replicate.  Does anybody have any experience with the process?

Thanks!
-Mark

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Julia Longtin <julia....@gmail.com> wrote:

--
| R. Mark Adams, Ph.D.       |   "Information is light.      |
| Computational Biologist    |    Information in itself,     |

Bobby Baum

Aug 2, 2014, 4:42:40 AM8/2/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

gippgig

Oct 22, 2014, 7:53:29 PM10/22/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Bobby Baum

Oct 22, 2014, 11:37:35 PM10/22/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Bobby Baum

Nov 15, 2014, 3:53:57 AM11/15/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Alberto Gaitan

Nov 15, 2014, 11:43:37 AM11/15/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
"Wire-fed welding torch lays down a bead of titanium"

Wonder if this is done within an inert gas environment. Doesn't titanium instantly oxidize when you weld it in an oxygen-rich environment?

On Sat Nov 15 2014 at 3:53:56 AM Bobby Baum <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here: http://hacdc.org/membership/

shawn wilson

Nov 15, 2014, 6:34:57 PM11/15/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

IDK why they didn't mention the possible engineering that could be made possible with a metal that can fairly easily be made more pliable vs hard and what making a soft honeycomb with a rigid exterior or maybe using the same idea to print a single piece lock.....

Also easy local customization of synthetic bones or plates (anyone want money - bet there's some here).

Bobby Baum

Dec 3, 2014, 8:08:20 PM12/3/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
3D-printed LEDs: dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl5033292
By the way, the Dec. 2014 issue of National Geographic has a story on
3D printing.

gippgig

Dec 30, 2014, 7:06:55 PM12/30/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Bobby Baum

Feb 23, 2015, 2:08:31 AM2/23/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Message has been deleted

gippgig

Mar 7, 2015, 5:00:46 PM3/7/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

gippgig

May 21, 2015, 1:42:48 AM5/21/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

gippgig

May 31, 2015, 12:06:30 AM5/31/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
www.spacedaily.com/reports/New_computational_technique_advances_color_3D_printing_process_999.html
www.spacedaily,com/reports/Printing_3_D_graphene_structures_for_tissue_engineering_999.html

gippgig

May 31, 2015, 10:21:08 PM5/31/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

gippgig

Jul 4, 2015, 9:15:32 PM7/4/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Bobby Baum

Jul 4, 2015, 9:34:59 PM7/4/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

gippgig

Aug 5, 2015, 2:43:08 AM8/5/15
to Blabber
FDA approves first 3D-printed drug, Spritam (levetiracetam)
www.aprecia.com/pdf/2015_08_03_Spritam_FDA_Approval_Press_Release.pdf

gippgig

Aug 23, 2015, 5:41:11 PM8/23/15
to Blabber

gippgig

Oct 20, 2015, 3:11:20 AM10/20/15
to Blabber

gippgig

Nov 10, 2015, 3:12:44 AM11/10/15
to Blabber
Magnetic field control of 3D printing:
Nature Communications 6 8641 & 8643

gippgig

Nov 21, 2015, 3:16:23 PM11/21/15
to Blabber
True additive manufacturing:
Pimp your old stuff by 3D printing over it
New Scientist magazine Nov. 14 p. 21

gippgig

Nov 23, 2015, 4:37:37 AM11/23/15
to Blabber

Bobby Baum

Nov 27, 2015, 4:18:18 AM11/27/15
to Blabber
3D printed objects that kill microbes:
www.rug.nl/news/2015/11/geprinte-kies-doodt-bacterien

gippgig

Dec 26, 2015, 3:04:31 AM12/26/15
to Blabber

gippgig

Jan 5, 2016, 3:01:31 PM1/5/16
to Blabber

gippgig

Dec 3, 2016, 4:22:15 PM12/3/16
to Blabber
Predictive Theoretical and Computational Approaches for Additive Manufacturing: Proceedings of a Workshop
www.nap.edu/download/23646

Bobby Baum

Jan 25, 2017, 3:26:44 AM1/25/17
to Blabber

Bobby Baum

Mar 14, 2017, 5:00:36 AM3/14/17
to Blabber
Mar. 15 - 3PM - UMdPS - Additive Manufacturing Methods and the
Fabrication of Electronic Circuits
Laboratory for Physical Sciences, Seminar Room, Lower Level
8050 Greenmead Dr., College Park, Md. 20740

gippgig

Mar 3, 2018, 2:02:36 AM3/3/18
to Blabber
March 29 11AM UMdCSS
Interactive Fabrication and Fabrication for Interaction
talks.cs.umd.edu/talks/1996

gippgig

Apr 7, 2018, 11:47:11 PM4/7/18
to Blabber

David Kaufman

Apr 9, 2018, 4:40:30 PM4/9/18
to Bla...@hacdc.org
I just saw something like this at USASEF this weekend. They were printing collagen (for example, to make heart valve) into a viscous gel. The gel could easily be melted away by raising the temperature a few degrees.

gippgig

Apr 28, 2018, 8:17:47 PM4/28/18
to Blabber
Zero-G 3D metal printing:

gippgig

Jun 4, 2018, 8:41:22 PM6/4/18
to Blabber

gippgig

Dec 16, 2018, 3:06:46 PM12/16/18
to Blabber
3D nanofabrication by volumetric deposition and controlled shrinkage of patterned scaffolds
Science Vol. 362 Issue 6420 p. 1281 doi: 10.1126/science.aau5119

gippgig

Dec 21, 2018, 1:29:15 AM12/21/18
to Blabber
A path for lignin valorization via additive manufacturing of high-performance sustainable composites with enhanced 3D printability
advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/12/eaat4967/tab=pdf

gippgig

Jan 11, 2019, 6:09:41 PM1/11/19
to Blabber
Rapid, continuous additive manufacturing by volumetric polymeriztion inhibition patterning
Science Advances 5 eaau8723 doi: 10.1126/sciadv/aau8723

3D Printing in the Lab
Nature 565 123 www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07853-5

gippgig

Jan 24, 2019, 10:33:04 PM1/24/19
to Blabber
(It turns out that the previous posting is about the same research Kevin posted a note about.)

Damage-tolerant architected materials inspired by crystal microstructure
Nature 565 305 (summary on 303) doi: 10.1038/s41586-018-0850-3

gippgig

Jan 24, 2019, 11:11:10 PM1/24/19
to Blabber

gippgig

Feb 26, 2019, 5:02:59 PM2/26/19
to Blabber
Multimaterial 3D laser microprinting using an integrated microfluidic system
advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/2/eaau9160

gippgig

Mar 15, 2019, 11:05:29 PM3/15/19
to Blabber

gippgig

Mar 18, 2019, 7:57:07 PM3/18/19
to Blabber
aviationweek.com/space/boeing-achieves-first-3d-printed-satellite-antenna
(will probably have to go to a library to get the article)

gippgig

Mar 21, 2019, 11:17:28 PM3/21/19
to Blabber

gippgig

Mar 26, 2019, 2:44:55 AM3/26/19
to Blabber
Hydrogel 3D printing with the capacitor edge effect
doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aau8769

gippgig

Mar 27, 2019, 9:24:03 PM3/27/19
to Blabber
Message has been deleted

gippgig

Apr 1, 2019, 8:12:42 PM4/1/19
to Blabber

gippgig

Apr 12, 2019, 3:37:07 AM4/12/19
to Blabber
Electrically assisted 3D printing of nacre-inspired structures with self-sensing capability
Science Advances 5 eaau9490 doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aau9490

gippgig

May 10, 2019, 2:04:06 AM5/10/19
to Blabber
Grayscale digital light processing 3D printing for highly functionally graded materials
Science Advances 5 eaav5790 doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aav5790

gippgig

Jul 22, 2019, 10:17:34 PM7/22/19
to Blabber
Topology optimization and 3D printing of multimaterial magnetic actuators and displays
Science Advances Vol. 5 no. 7 eaaw1160
doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aaw1160

gippgig

Aug 1, 2019, 3:55:58 PM8/1/19
to Blabber

gippgig

Aug 1, 2019, 10:05:50 PM8/1/19
to Blabber

gippgig

Nov 5, 2019, 3:00:00 AM11/5/19
to Blabber
Freeform, Reconfigurable Embedded Printing of All-Aqueous 3D Architectures
Advanced Materials 2019 1904631
doi: 10.1002/adma.201904631

gippgig

Dec 14, 2019, 6:50:56 PM12/14/19
to Blabber
Robiot: A Design Tool for Actuating Everyday Objects with Automatically Generated 3D Printable Mechanisms

gippgig

Jan 9, 2020, 11:17:45 PM1/9/20
to Blabber
Three-dimensional printing of multicomponent glasses using phase-separating resins
Nature Materials doi.org/dd7j
Additive manufacturing of ultrafine-grained high-strength titanium alloys
Nature Vol. 576 issue 7785 p.91 doi: 10.1038/s41586-019-1783-1 (also see p.41; I have this issue)

gippgig

Jan 11, 2020, 5:20:34 PM1/11/20
to Blabber

gippgig

Jan 17, 2020, 3:57:55 PM1/17/20
to Blabber
3D -printed nanotransformer changes from a toy car to a robot:
Four-dimensional micro-building blocks
Science Advances Vol. 6 issue 3 eaav8219 doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aav8219

gippgig

Jan 23, 2020, 11:40:01 PM1/23/20
to Blabber
Open Source Completely 3-D Printable Centrifuge:
Instruments Vol. 3 issue 2 p. 30 doi: 10.3390/instruments3020030

gippgig

Feb 10, 2020, 6:52:50 PM2/10/20
to Blabber
3D printing gets bigger, faster and stronger

gippgig

Feb 13, 2020, 6:56:26 PM2/13/20
to Blabber

gippgig

Feb 17, 2020, 11:28:30 PM2/17/20
to Blabber
Feb. 19 3PM University of Md. physics seminar - Laboratory of Physical Sciences (photo ID required)
Multimaterial Additive Manufacturing of Electronic Devices and Systems

gippgig

Feb 21, 2020, 7:21:43 PM2/21/20
to Blabber
Additive manufacturing of cellulose-based materials with continuous, multidirectional stiffness gradients:

gippgig

May 9, 2020, 11:10:57 PM5/9/20
to Blabber
3D printed Mg-NiTi interpenetrating-phase composites with high strength, dampening capacity, and energy absorption efficiency
advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/19/eaba5581  doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aba5581

Peter James

May 10, 2020, 6:52:05 PM5/10/20
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Page not found put in link tag, test and resend.diy Metal 3D printer just what I need.

On May 9, 2020 at 11:10 PM gippgig <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:

3D printed Mg-NiTi interpenetrating-phase composites with high strength, dampening capacity, and energy absorption efficiency
advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/19/eaba5581  doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aba5581

Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here: http://hacdc.org/membership/

gippgig

May 11, 2020, 12:17:55 AM5/11/20
to Blabber, just-...@comcast.net
Closing the science gap in 3D metal printing
Science Vol. 368 issue 6491 p. 583 science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6491/583 doi: 10.1126/science.abb4938
referring to:
Controlling interdependent meso-nanosecond dynamics and defect generation in metal 3D printing
p. 660 science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6491/660 doi: 10.1126/science.aay7830
(these are not open access; normally Science is easily available in some public libraries but they are currently closed)

Peter James

May 11, 2020, 3:48:22 AM5/11/20
to Bla...@hacdc.org, gippgig
Lots of metal sintering patents rn out a few yers back so with  servo controlled laser and a squeegee your good to go.

I checked this out a few years back to make precision metal pieces, but powered silver costs were prohibitive. Figuring out how to DIY metl powder is the gme changer.

Talked to Matthew Velderman of Stanley Black and Decker about his $100K mass production metal printers t the time and he said  the quality of the parts still wasn't there yet.

gippgig

Jun 13, 2020, 3:00:06 AM6/13/20
to Blabber
Tunable structural color of bottlebrush block copolymers through direct-write 3D printing from solution
advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/24/eaaz7202  doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aaz7202

gippgig

Jun 20, 2020, 2:20:33 AM6/20/20
to Blabber
3D printed deformable sensors
advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/25/eaba5575  doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aba5575

gippgig

Jul 12, 2020, 11:57:15 PM7/12/20
to Blabber
High-strength Damascus steel by additive manufacturing
Nature Vol. 582 No. 7813 p. 515

gippgig

Jul 18, 2020, 1:14:23 AM7/18/20
to Blabber
Science Advances Vol. 6 issue 29 eaba4174  doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aba4174

gippgig

Aug 15, 2020, 1:05:45 AM8/15/20
to Blabber, gippgig
3D bioprinting spatiotemporally defined patterns of growth factors to tightly control tissue regeneration
Science Advances Vol. 6 No. 33 eabb5093   doi: 10.1126/scieadv.abb5093

gippgig

Sep 12, 2020, 9:49:30 PM9/12/20
to Blabber, gippgig
3D-printed programmable tensegrity for soft robotics
Science Robotics Vol. 5 no. 45 eaay9024   doi:10.1126/scirobots.aay9024

gippgig

Sep 18, 2020, 5:36:46 PM9/18/20
to Blabber, gippgig

Expanding and optimizing 3D bioprinting capabilities using complementary network bioinks
Science Advances Vol. 6 no. 38 eabc5529   doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abc5529

gippgig

Oct 10, 2020, 4:13:29 AM10/10/20
to Blabber, gippgig

3D printed self-supporting elastomeric structures for multifunctional microfluidics
Science Advances Vol. 6 no. 41 eabc9846   doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abc9846

gippgig

Nov 14, 2020, 4:11:49 AM11/14/20
to Blabber, gippgig
Room temperature 3D printing of super-soft and solvent-free elastomers
Science Advances Vol. 6 no. 46 eabc6900   doi: 10,=.1126/sciadv.abc6900

gippgig

Dec 29, 2020, 4:12:30 AM12/29/20
to Blabber, gippgig
High-resolution 3D printing in seconds

gippgig

Jan 8, 2021, 4:58:39 PM1/8/21
to Blabber, gippgig
3D printing of highly stretchable hydrogel with diverse UV curable polymers
Science Advances Vol. 7 no. 2 eaba4261   doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aba4261

gippgig

Feb 6, 2021, 8:55:35 PM2/6/21
to Blabber, gippgig
Digital light 3D printing of customized bioresorbable airway stents with elastomeric properties
Science Advances Vol. 7 no. 6 eabe9499   doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abe9499

gippgig

Mar 2, 2021, 3:05:14 AM3/2/21
to Blabber, gippgig
Additive Manufacturing for Advanced Microwave and RF Applications​
Online lecture - see www.lps.gov for details

gippgig

Mar 4, 2021, 3:12:19 AM3/4/21
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Mar 26, 2021, 4:27:52 AM3/26/21
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Apr 17, 2021, 3:10:49 AM4/17/21
to Blabber, gippgig
3D jet writing of mechanically actuated tandem scaffolds
Science Advances Vol. 7 no. 16 eabf5289 doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abf5289

gippgig

May 6, 2021, 6:01:39 PM5/6/21
to Blabber, gippgig
Fabrication of 3D-Printed Ceramic Structures for Portable Solar Desalination Devices
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces   pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsami.1c04209

gippgig

May 29, 2021, 2:53:15 PM5/29/21
to Blabber, gippgig
Material-structure-performance integrated laser-metal additive manufacturing

Science Vol. 372 issue 6545 p. 932  doi.org/10.1126/science.abg1487
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

gippgig

Sep 17, 2021, 3:25:41 PM9/17/21
to Blabber, gippgig
3D printed personalized magnetic micromachines from patient blood-derived biomaterials
Science Advances Vol. 7 Issue 36   www.doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abh0273
Nondiffractive beam shaping for enhanced optothermal control in metal additive manufacturing
Science Advances Vol. 7 Issue 38    www.doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abg9358

gippgig

Sep 17, 2021, 8:23:18 PM9/17/21
to Blabber, gippgig
Scalable 3D printing of aperiodic cellular structures by rotational stacking of integral image formation
Science Advances Vol. 7 Issue 38   www.doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abh1200

gippgig

Sep 20, 2021, 10:28:40 PM9/20/21
to Blabber
3D-printed thermoelectric generator: Direct ink writing of three-dimensional thermoelectric microarchitectures
Nature Electronics Volume 4 p. 579   doi.org/gq3m

gippgig

Nov 4, 2021, 3:53:16 PM11/4/21
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Nov 15, 2021, 3:10:10 PM11/15/21
to Blabber, gippgig
Three-Dimensional Printable Enzymatically Active Plastics
ACS Applied Polymer Materials   pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsapm.1c00845 (available at pubs.acs.org/editorschoice)

gippgig

Aug 18, 2022, 1:16:34 PM8/18/22
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Sep 27, 2022, 7:06:03 PM9/27/22
to Blabber, gippgig
3D printing by drones!
Aerial additive manufacturing with multiple autonomous robots
Nature Vol. 609 issue 7928 p. 709 doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-04988-4
It is loading more messages.