radio

gippgig

Apr 28, 2015, 3:06:36 AM4/28/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Alex Smith (K4RNT)

Apr 28, 2015, 8:46:21 AM4/28/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Speaking of that, when are the club meetings? I live and work in Loudoun County, VA now, and would like to occasionally make it to the space for a meeting.

" 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we’re all damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith
- Dulles, Virginia

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 3:06 AM, gippgig <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:

Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here: http://hacdc.org/membership/

Martin

Apr 28, 2015, 12:31:27 PM4/28/15
to HacDC Public Discussion
I used a ~$20 USB RTL-SDR dongle from my Tenleytown QTH to create this time exposure etch-a-sketch view.
wideareamap.png

Leon S. Ciereszko III

Apr 28, 2015, 2:03:14 PM4/28/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

gippgig

May 24, 2015, 10:40:04 PM5/24/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

gippgig

Jun 11, 2015, 7:34:13 PM6/11/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org

gippgig

Dec 11, 2015, 11:00:02 PM12/11/15
to Blabber

HacDC Secretary

Dec 12, 2015, 9:18:36 AM12/12/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
It does seem weird to use a metal robot to measure EM fields; doesn't
the arm itself create different resonances, etc? I haven't really read
the paper tho.

On 12/11/2015 11:00 PM, gippgig wrote:
> www.spacedaily.com/reports/Robot_adds_new_twist_to_NIST_antenna_measurements_and_calibrations_999.html

Darian Lewis

Dec 13, 2015, 1:12:07 PM12/13/15
to Blabber
The test setup is for 100GHz to 300GHz (trying to get to 500GHz).  So probably not going to be a problem at 100GHz and up :-)  I'd imagine far field begins about 6 cm from the antenna and it's going to be VERY directional.  I'd be willing to bet there are no side lobes even for the robot to interfere with.

Darian

Alex Smith (K4RNT)

Dec 14, 2015, 3:13:16 PM12/14/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
I was going to ask if there is metallic filament available for 3D printers, but when I read the URL saying they were using graphene ink, it made sense. :)

" 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we’re all damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith
- Kent, Washington (metropolitan Seattle area)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blabber" group.

Alex Smith (K4RNT)

Dec 14, 2015, 3:15:41 PM12/14/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
I used to live down the hill from a Boeing antenna test facility in the Seattle metro area. They had a hangar, with railroad tracks coming out from it, which they had a parabolic dish antenna (I have no idea what frequency bands they were testing at), and either the receiver or transmitting antenna in the hangar.

9 years living there and I never saw it in use. :(

" 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we’re all damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith
- Kent, Washington (metropolitan Seattle area)

Darian Lewis

Dec 14, 2015, 4:31:27 PM12/14/15
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Which truly is sad.  They, just like the govt, throw away and waste so many cool things we could do fun things with.

-Darian

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Blabber" group.

Darian Lewis

gippgig

Feb 27, 2016, 3:48:06 AM2/27/16
to Blabber

gippgig

Jul 30, 2016, 10:59:18 PM7/30/16
to Blabber

gippgig

Jun 1, 2017, 5:15:13 PM6/1/17
to Blabber

Bobby Baum

May 26, 2018, 4:29:59 AM5/26/18
to Blabber
Want a directv satellite dish? There's one in the dumpster at a
construction site at 7031 Wilson La. (north of Glen Echo, Md. between
MacArthur Blvd. & River Rd.). Appears intact. Get it before the
dumpster is hauled away.

gippgig

Jan 17, 2020, 2:46:15 AM1/17/20
to Blabber
If anyone is interested in an antique Stromberg-Carlson cabinet radio one is on sale for $50 at 6409 W. Halbert Drive, Bethesda, Md. 20817 from noon-3:30PM Jan. 19 (ljy...@yahoo.com for details).

gippgig

Jun 28, 2020, 9:38:14 PM6/28/20
to Blabber
Shortwave radio can send data across the Atlantic a few milliseconds faster than fiber optics, which is a big deal for some financial traders.
Trading at The Speed of Shortwave
Bloomberg BusinessWeek June 22 p. 22
Are neutrino beams thru the Earth next?

gippgig

Oct 12, 2020, 3:10:38 AM10/12/20
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Oct 21, 2020, 12:28:00 AM10/21/20
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Dec 14, 2020, 2:02:43 AM12/14/20
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Feb 13, 2021, 4:26:40 PM2/13/21
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Mar 9, 2023, 10:53:06 PM3/9/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Jun 5, 2023, 4:18:42 PM6/5/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Sep 15, 2023, 5:01:58 PM9/15/23
to Blabber, gippgig

gippgig

Oct 18, 2023, 5:47:48 PM10/18/23
to Blabber, Blabber
Physicists create new form of antenna for radio waves

gippgig

Nov 29, 2023, 4:22:10 PM11/29/23
to Blabber, gippgig
LoRa-Based Low-Cost Nanosatellite for Emerging Communication Networks in Complex Scenarios (actually balloon; 3D-printed too):

gippgig

Apr 6, 2024, 5:33:56 PMApr 6
to Blabber, gippgig