Alberto Gaitan

Martin

Aug 10, 2022, 9:27:30 PM8/10/22
to HacDC Public Discussion, W3HAC Hacdc Ham Radio Club
https://washingtoncitypaper.com/article/565889/remembering-artist-alberto-gaitan-1955-2022/

Alberto was an early member of HacDC and contributed a lot.  He was an amazing person and a wonderful friend.

--Martin

Kevin Cole

Aug 10, 2022, 9:30:37 PM8/10/22
to HacDC Public Discussion, W3HAC Hacdc Ham Radio Club
So sad! A brilliant and compassionate guy whom I always found to be a source of wonderful stuff!

Tim Slagle

Aug 11, 2022, 1:12:25 AM8/11/22
to Blabber HacDC
This is a tragic shock.  I met Alberto at the first meeting for Dorkbot DC 16 years ago, and we stayed in touch over the years about different projects and shows, most recently the amplifiers on his "Appliance" piece.  As Gareth wrote, he was always helpful, generous, grateful, and encouraging, and seemed to know everyone in the DC art world and at the intersection of art and technology - a true "connector".

Please pass on information about any memorials or events - I'd be happy to help with some kind of Dorkbot-style meetup or symposium in his honor.
--Tim

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 9:30 PM Kevin Cole <dc....@gmail.com> wrote:
So sad! A brilliant and compassionate guy whom I always found to be a source of wonderful stuff!

Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here: http://hacdc.org/membership/

Jamie M

Aug 11, 2022, 8:44:46 AM8/11/22
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Awful news. Alberto was my first DC art world connection 35 years ago and was always a generous, gentle friend.

Tom Lee

Aug 11, 2022, 10:30:42 AM8/11/22
to HacDC Public Discussion
Like Tim I met Alberto through Dorkbot. Such a warm and talented guy--I don't know what I could add to the lovely remembrance that Gareth wrote other than to say I will miss him.

andrew gillette

Aug 11, 2022, 11:36:46 AM8/11/22
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Good Guy. He will be missed!

MAV-DC

Aug 11, 2022, 11:52:14 AM8/11/22
to Blabber, thomas...@gmail.com
Alberto was a wonderful man - I first met him at HacDC, maybe 12 yrs ago - then I'd see him at his art installations - I remember especially the one at a major exhibition at American University's Katzen Arts Center - as well as other arts event around the city.  He certainly achieved a life well lived and will be missed. ann vroom

Matthew "mirage335" Hines

Aug 11, 2022, 12:00:48 PM8/11/22
to HacDC Public Discussion
Alberto, aka 'nootrope' was one of the first people who introduced me to HacDC, and made an outsized contribution to the space's activities. Nice guy, and wonderfully enthusiastic. He will be missed dearly.

Nick Mapsy

Aug 11, 2022, 12:39:27 PM8/11/22
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Wow, this really sucks to hear. Alberto was always such a friendly, caring face in the community.

Nick

The Doctor

Aug 11, 2022, 1:39:13 PM8/11/22
to Bla...@hacdc.org