Informal linux "class" tonight

shawn wilson

Jun 19, 2014, 11:40:19 AM6/19/14
to bla...@hacdc.org
Last week, I was asked if I could give some instruction on linux. So
here it is, an informal linux "class":
http://www.meetup.com/hac-dc/events/190017242/

This is currently very informal (I have no set talking points) and
will head in whatever direction the person or group wants. This will
be the epitome of live demos - expect to see stuff break and spending
2 minutes on a one liner that does something useful.

I set it to weekly (as that's what was discussed). This might change.
I just set this and am sending this out as a bigger group would be
more fun.

Ann Vroom

Jun 19, 2014, 11:57:12 AM6/19/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Would have really liked to join you - but just got the notice too late for tonite - next time! thx
Like what we do? Support HacDC by becoming a member. Learn more here: http://hacdc.org/membership/

Bobby Baum

Jun 19, 2014, 1:59:44 PM6/19/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
So where is it?

George Walker

Jun 19, 2014, 2:56:38 PM6/19/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Neat.  I can't shell script my way out of a paper bag, so I'm in.  Where is it?  From context my guess is HacDC, but...

Alberto Gaitan

Jun 19, 2014, 4:01:30 PM6/19/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

Yes, at HacDc.

shawn wilson

Jun 20, 2014, 1:03:57 AM6/20/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org

OK so about a half dozen people showed up.

Nell went through recovering a password from grub (thanks Nell+Google - yeah I invited Google into the class). And (/me o_O - can't remember your name) and I went through a basic Ubuntu server install - just default choices. The password on all of them is lol123 (blame Nell) and the user for the install I did is tuser (idk about the other install).

I went over the initial boot sequence a little (from the mbr/dos partition table to grub to initramfs to pivotroot to listing the half dozen ways to initialize processes/services). And with one guy (yeah I suck at names) figuring out what services have open ports (kinda - didn't mention binding to an if) and how to disable (cups in this case) via upstart. Also mentioned PS1 briefly.

After most had left I got my laptop working on the TV. So if the same people show up (or people with some working knowledge show up next time) I'll continue (or restart) the conversation on detecting services, figuring where they're starting from and controlling them. If that's quick (it won't be - this is quite an extensive topic) I'll get into SSH coolness. After that, I think a discussion on networkmanager and then iptables is in order. Kinda skipping over users and groups here and xattr but I think we'll hit that along the way.

This is looking network heavy because that's what the loudest voices have asked for. If you want to show up and ask for another direction (or teach in another direction, as long as people want to listen) we'll go that route.

If you have interest and missed this one - come, you didn't miss much and as you learn more from teaching than reading, I kinda want others to teach what they know. So, if you come next time with no idea how to install basic Ubuntu - there should be at least 2 people (not me) who will give some instruction on it.

I think discussion about tonight's 'meeting' (or whatever we want to call this party) should stay on this thread. I'll start a new thread Tues or Wed for next meeting and ref this email and the next meetup event. I'll do that until we stabilize (ie, I think we talked about moving this up to 18:45 - I think that's a good idea... comments?). If this goes on and the SNR of this adds too much to general Blabber we'll get our very own list (not there yet).

Lastly, try to remember this is a technical discussion group and its hard to keep track of items if you top post. So try to remember to reply inline. If you don't know what that means, the mighty Google will surely lead you to some interesting conversations if you search 'mail list top post'. Maybe if this is still going in a year, I'll cover mutt and how there you just hit rGo (reply in mutt pager, G in vim brings you to the bottom and o in vim opens a new line and puts you in edit mode) and then you just type. I'll probably have to provide a doc for how to do this in Gmail.

(And I top posted because I expect the below to be cut out in the re)

Bobby Baum

Jun 26, 2014, 2:00:31 AM6/26/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
The calender lists a Linux meeting Thursday at 7:30. So is it 6:45 or 7:30?

shawn wilson

Jun 26, 2014, 8:48:48 AM6/26/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Ah shoot, forgot to change that...

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Bobby Baum <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The calender lists a Linux meeting Thursday at 7:30. So is it 6:45 or 7:30?

shawn wilson

Jun 26, 2014, 9:09:44 AM6/26/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:48 AM, shawn wilson <ag4v...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah shoot, forgot to change that...
>
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Bobby Baum <gip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The calender lists a Linux meeting Thursday at 7:30. So is it 6:45 or 7:30?

Done - I hope I don't start pissing people off with these late changes
(I really don't like managing this type of thing - y'all keep me
straight, ok? :) ).

Ok, so 1845 it is.

George Walker

Jun 26, 2014, 6:01:41 PM6/26/14
to Bla...@hacdc.org
Doh!  I advocated for doing the class earlier, and now I'm probably running late 10-20 minutes late.  *facepalm*