Paws for GDUI News You Can Use! - VOL IV No. 3. June 2024

dawg...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2024, 5:15:49 PMJun 13
to dawg...@gmail.com

Hello, GDUI Universe,

- A Publication of Guide Dog Users, Inc.

This publication includes announcements, as well as articles, columns, and opinion pieces of interest to guide dog users, Specifically,  and to people who are blind and visually impaired in general. Find the link introducing this issue near the bottom of the page, here-

https://guidedogusersinc.org/

Read the entire issue here-

https://guidedogusersinc.org/paws-for-gdui-news-you-can-use-vol-iv-no-3-june-2024-a-publication-of-guide-dog-users-inc/

Additionally, the entire issue is attached, and pasted below.

Thank you for your friendship and support.

Smiles and wags,

The “Paws” People and Pups

Paws for GDUI News You Can Use! – VOL IV No. 3. June 2024 – A Publication of Guide Dog Users, Inc.

President: Sarah Calhoun

Editor: Andrea Giudice

Co-editor and GDUI Immediate Past President: Penny Reeder

Guide Dog Users, Inc. (GDUI) A special interest affiliate of the American Council of the Blind (ACB) since 1972

https://guidedogusersinc.org/

Toll-Free: 866.799.8436

From the Editor- Hello Fellow Gduisters!

This month’s issue prep finds Toto and me in Florida! While visiting friends and family is truly wonderful… I am thinking how the natives manage the heat and humidity needs to be added to one of the many wonders of the world!

As we sit, strategically  positioned under an air conditioner vent- me sweating from places I here-to-for didn’t know could sweat and Toto sprawled, like road kill, on his cooling mat - I will give you this months Paws teaser!

You already  know (and in my oh so humble opinion of course) that this is the coolest E-mail publication you receive- so no need to tell you that!! Ha, Ha!! *winking face*

It is chalk full of great stuff- notable dates, interesting articles, information on cutting-edge research, an article about this year’s GDUI convention and ACB’s banquet speaker, new podcasts to check out, a path to report all of those ads that tell you how to certify your pet as a fake guide and service dogs, submissions from readers, another recipe, and- Wait for it!- … even more!

As always, I encourage everyone to remember how easy it is to get involved in our Paws publication- share a favorite podcast; an interesting, silly, absurd, or touching tidbit from your local paper; something you wrote yourself or that someone else wrote; a helpful app or other resource; even a yummy recipe. Remember, submissions about guide dogs, or blindness/visual impairment are not the only topics of interest to us GDUISters!

Sending cyber hugs and wags,

Andrea and Super T

From the President-

Hello GDUI members and friends,

We hope you are enjoying the beautiful springtime weather,  which will soon turn into the dog days of summer!

GDUI’s  Programs Committee chairperson, Maria Hansen, has been quite busy these past few months organizing this year’s convention. Here is what you can look forward to, once you register for this year’s virtual convention program:

Registration:

The registration fee for GDUI will be $10.00 and includes eligibility to win door prizes.

Thursday, June 27th,  11:00 a.m.  to 12:15 p.m. eastern,

Guide Dog School Updates Part 1:

Double sessions of the ever-popular updates by representatives from all the guide dog schools.

Thursday, June 27th,  12:30 p.m.   to 1:45 p.m. eastern,

Guide Dog School Updates Part 2:

Continuation (without a break) of double sessions of the ever-popular updates by representatives from guide dog schools in North America and Canada.

Saturday, June 29th,  11:00 a.m.  to 12:15 p.m.

GDUI & IRC: Guide Dog Schools Beyond Our Borders

Let’s find out about a couple guide dog training programs outside North America.

Saturday, June 29th,  12:30 p.m.  to 1:45 p.m.

GDUI Guest Speaker, Barbara Hinske.

USA Today Bestselling Author, Phoenix, Arizona.

Barbara Hinske is the author of the Guiding Emily series.

GDUI award winners will also be announced during this session, as well as the drawing winner of Garth, a plush black lab fitted out in a hand-made leather harness.

Center for Disease Control (CDC)  Updates Dog Importation Regulation: New Rules will be implemented and enforced beginning on August 1, 2024.

You can find more detailed information on our GDUI website at: www.gdui.org

If you are tired of finding misleading ads telling people how to certify pet dog as service animals, GDUI has information on how you can report those ads to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on our website. Let’s try to make a difference and report those false ads!

I want to thank everyone for being a valued member. We appreciate your support and your contributions to our chat lists, and involvement in this great organization!

Enjoy the summer! Happy tales and trails!

Sarah Calhoun, GDUI President & retired guide dog, Lakota

PS- I am so stoked about the exciting programming at our convention ! I look forward to "conventioning" with all of you who will be attending!!

GDUI 2024 Drawing for Plush Pup in Harness

Front-facing Garth, laying on his stomachSide-facing Garth, laying on his stomach showcasing his harness.

This year, GDUI is holding a drawing for a plush black lab fitted out in a hand-made leather harness thanks to the extraordinary generosity of Hava.

His name is Garth and he measures 24 inches from nose to tail. He is not sitting, lying down or completely standing. His pose is a play bow (i.e. chest

and front paws touching the ground while his butt and tail are raised off the ground). He has a cute paw print collar, name tag and a little leash.

Important Information

Ticket sales will end at 10:00 AM EST on Saturday, June 29 and the lucky winner will be announced during that afternoon’s 12:30 PM EST GDUI Zoom session

with guest speaker, USA Today Bestselling Author, Barbara Hinske.

Purchase Tickets

Drawing tickets are three for $5.00 or seven for $10.00. You may purchase tickets via PayPal (does not require a PayPal account) here or by contacting

GDUI’s Office Manager, Lynn Merrill, by phone: 1-866-799-8436 in the U.S.

GDUI Drawing Tickets: 3 for $5

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

GDUI Drawing Tickets: 7 for $10

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

article end

Poll Results: Members Weigh In on Whether or Not to Proceed with A GDUI Extraordinary Veterinary Expense Reimbursement Program

When their research indicated that any GDUI-sponsored  Extraordinary Veterinary Expense Reimbursement program would require GDUI to make changes in our Articles of Incorporation as well as our constitution, members of the GDUI Extraordinary Veterinary Expense Reimbursement Task Force decided to poll GDUI members to learn whether or not the membership wishes GDUI to proceed with the project. It turns out that our members are evenly divided. Here are the results of the poll.

Response Number Percent

No, I do not want GDUI to proceed with developing this program 33 50.00%

Yes, proceed with developing the program 33 50.00%

Grand Total 66 100.00%  --

For Your Calendar-

(Some of the items listed here are expanded upon later in this issue, others may be a ways off)

6/14/2024- Blindness and Mental Health Summit.

Register at-

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfLwGIl3DO2OzIwzVq85AbHjU0H9IG_jvuOO-b0JkHIkdlIEA/viewform CCC

6/18/24, 5:00PM (Eastern) NBP Annual Meeting- in-person or virtual!

6/27/24,11:00 AM (Eastern) GDUI Convention programming- Guide Dog School Updates Part 1

6/27/24,12:30 PM (Eastern) GDUI Convention programming- Guide Dog School Updates Part 2

6/29/24,11:00 AM (Eastern) GDUI Convention programming- Guide Dog Schools Beyond Our Borders

6/29/24,12:30 PM (Eastern) GDUI Convention programming- Author, Barbara Hinske

6/29/24,12:30 PM (Eastern) GDUI Convention programming-Announcement of drawing and award winners

7/5-7/12/2024- ACB National Conference and Convention (Jacksonville, Florida)

Announcement- Blindness and Mental Health Summit

Save the Date! Friday, June 14, 2024

Join us for the first annual Blindness and Mental Health Summit! The Summit is the largest online gathering of organizations and consumers sharing information, resources, and services focusing on mental health in the blindness, low vision, and disability communities.

Registration is free! Speakers and exhibitors will be announced soon. Please click the link below to register- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfLwGIl3DO2OzIwzVq85AbHjU0H9IG_jvuOO-b0JkHIkdlIEA/viewform CCC

To learn more, please visit our website- https://accessiblepharmacy.com/blindness-and-mental-health-summit-2024/

If you have any questions, please send us an email- in...@accessiblepharmacy.com

Sincerely, Your friends at Accessible Pharmacy

Accessible Pharmacy Services, LLC

1-888-633-7007

AccessiblePharmacy.com

Announcement- Guide Dog Handler Rideshare Survey results

In 2023, 185 of you participated in a Rideshare survey. This survey was developed by the GDB Alumni Association Board of Directors and distributed to help gather data around the continuing issue of Rideshare denials. Your efforts and participation yielded undeniable results.

Recently GDB released these results, to enhance the general public’s awareness of this issue, and to promote change among Rideshare agencies and drivers.

To review the results visit https://www.guidedogs.com/rideshare

What can you do? In addition to sharing the results and information, here are tips that can help you advocate for yourself and others. As well as information for reporting a denial.

TIPS FOR NAVIGATING RIDESHARE SERVICES AND REPORTING DENIALS

When Booking and Waiting for Your Ride:

  • You are not obligated to inform the company or drivers that you are accompanied by a guide-dog.
  • You are not restricted to the “pet service” options. You have the right to ANY service options ridesharing or taxi companies offer. In addition to being unnecessary and more expensive, these options may limit the number of potential drivers responding to your request.
  • For your records, once a ride is booked and a driver is assigned, take a screenshot of the open app which includes the driver’s name, vehicle and license plate number, and estimated arrival time.
  • A few minutes prior to your estimated pickup, call or message the driver to inform them precisely where you are waiting; that you will not be able to locate them visually; and that you have a service dog. Take a screenshot of this message as proof of your efforts to communicate with your driver.
  • When the app informs you of your driver’s arrival, take a photo of the car with your smart phone for proof that your ride showed up (or showed up and left). If you use a live visual assistance app such as Aira or Be My Eyes, that service can assist in locating the vehicle for you to then capture a photo.
  • If the driver has an issue with providing a ride because you are traveling with a guide dog, DO NOT CANCEL THE RIDE VIA THE APP.  If you do cancel, you will be charged a cancellation fee, and the incident will not be accurately reflected in the driver’s records as having turned down your request.
  • During an active or confrontational denial of service, use your smart phone’s video or audio-recording feature to create a record of your negative experiences with the rideshare provider

Reporting Rideshare Denials-

Find out everything you need to know about reporting ride-share denials on the GDUI web site, here:

Rideshare Denial Advocacy - Guide Dog Users, Inc. (GDUI) (guidedogusersinc.org)

More about Reporting Rideshare Denials

Filing a discrimination complaint with the appropriate government authority, and National Federation for the Blind (NFB), provides government regulators and watchdogs with data to address civil rights discrimination more effectively. Reporting denials directly to ride share companies helps hold the driver and the rideshare company accountable.

  • Share your experience with the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) Rideshare Discrimination Survey via its NFB’s Rideshare Survey. (NFB led the 2016-2020 agreement with Uber to report and gather data on discrimination against guide dog teams. NFB continues to collect data for future advocacy efforts.)
  • As complaints of rideshare discrimination against service dog handlers persist, advocates have reached out to the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Civil Rights Division for better law enforcement. Reporting your personal discrimination experience to the DOJ provides needed data to justify legal actions. report a civil rights violation by calling 855-856-1247 or through a simple, easy-to-use online form at- https://civilrights.justice.gov/report/?utm_campaign=499a0d26-884a-47aa-9afc-70094d92e6f5
  • If a driver denies you service, inform them that it is against the law to refuse a service dog and that you will be filing a discrimination report with the company.
  • If denied, follow the prompt on the rideshare company’s app to report a service animal ride denial.
  • Contact one or more of the relevant following companies or agencies where appropriate:
  • Uber- call 833-715-8237

Report an Assistance Animal Issue: https://help.uber.com/riders/article/report-an-assistive-device-or-assistance-animal-issue

Here are links and contact information to file reports against guide dog discrimination in Canada:

Announcement- GDUI's comment concerning DOT's Service Animal Air Transportation Forms

Guide Dog Users, Inc. advocacy committee submitted the statement found below concerning: DOT's Service Animal Air Transportation Forms, Docket ID Number: DOT-OST-2018-0068.

May 7, 2024

Guide Dog Users, Inc., (GDUI) opposes the renewal of the requirement to submit the service animal attestation forms, because, in spite of DOT's assertion that their proposed changes to the forms will reduce the burden of this requirement on persons with disabilities, the processes for retrieving, completing, and submitting these forms remain unduly burdensome for blind people who travel with guide dogs.  DOT's proposed amendments to the form do nothing to address the accessibility challenges faced by blind passengers when attempting to find and complete the forms on airline websites.  Further, DOT's assertion that it should only take 20 minutes for a person with a disability to retrieve a copy of the form, fill it out, and submit it, is absurdly unrealistic.  While we appreciate DOT's recognition that their initial estimates of this burden were too optimistic, we have anecdotal evidence that it is not uncommon for blind passengers to spend more than an hour to complete this process.  Finally, we want to point out that none of the information obtained through these forms guarantees that a dog flying with a person who submits the form will meet the behavioral or health-related expectations that airlines are trying to uphold. For these reasons, we continue to oppose the continued collection of this information from persons with disabilities.

Guide Dog Users, Incorporated (GDUI)

Announcement- Advocates for Service Animal Partners Offers State Law Cards

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

Advocates for Service Animal Partners is excited to announce we are now offering printable state and federal service animal law cards.  These small cards feature the summary of one state law concerning service animals and service animals in training on one side with a summary of the ADA regulations concerning service animals on the reverse. These great informational cards are perfect to pass out when people ask you about your service dog, for you to leave on tables in public places, share with businesses you patronize, or leave along with your tip in a restaurant. They might also be helpful during those times you are denied access accompanied by your service dog!

These templates were created using the Avery template #5871 generally available at all office supply stores and from Amazon. Simply add the paper to your printer, open the template file, print the double-sided cards, and tear them apart. Each box contains 200 perforated cards. You  now have one of the smallest, most powerful tools to bridge the knowledge gap among the public concerning service animals. I do this and pass out cards all day long! HINT: I write my information on the card in Braille and people are even more interested in my cards! I’ll bet they show them to all their friends and it sparks a conversation!

There is absolutely no fee for these law cards; however, Advocates for Service Animal Partners relies upon your support to continue offering our ASAP Service Animal Hotline- 855-ASAP211 (855-272-7211). While on the download page, please consider making a pledge of support to help keep the hotline there when IT IS needed most. All contributions are used exclusively to support and enhance ASAP211.

To download your law cards, see which law cards are available, request cards for another state, and donate to fund this work, please visit-

https://serviceanimals.info/LawCards.html

About ASAP

Advocates for Service Animal Partners (ASAP) is the only organization in the United States dedicated exclusively to supporting, protecting, and advancing  the civil rights of disabled individuals who use service animals to mitigate their disability and live full, productive, and independent lives. ASAP is a nationwide network of volunteer service animal advocates. Our goal is to encourage, educate, and support service animal handlers through printed and electronic publications, Informational webinars, recorded educational materials, and direct advocacy support, intervention, and mediation. In support of this mission, we also work to educate employers, governmental entities, private companies, housing accommodations, and the airline industry about the rights, responsibilities, and limitations of access under state and federal law. For more information, please contact

Marion Gwizdala, President/CEO

Advocates for Service Animal Partners Inc. (ASAP)

Office- 386-272-7411 (386-ASAP411)

Hotline- 855-272-7211 (855-ASAP211)

Advoc...@gmail.com

ServiceAnimals.info

Facebook.com/asap411/

Article- Report Those Ads That Encourage Doting Pet Owners to Break the Law and Identify Untrained Pets as Service and Guide Dogs!

Please share widely with friends and relations!

We find the ads everywhere! On our favorite social media platforms; Inside newspapers and magazines; Scattered throughout online advertising circulars for big box stores, grocery chains, even Amazon.com! These are the ads that sell a cape or a vest or some other piece of identification paraphernalia that gives pet owners the confidence to falsely claim their pets are service dogs! Once identified as indispensable service or guide dogs, those same treasured pets can become understandably terrified or even aggressive when accompanying their owners in busy settings like airports, train stations, fast food establishments, the crowded aisles of grocery and other stores, or virtually any other unfamiliar environment, and misbehave!

Nothing in the civil rights laws that allow us to bring our guide and service dogs into public settings requires our dogs to be certified in any way. It’s our dogs’ excellent training, along with the training we receive, ourselves, from experts and professionals in the field, and the specific tasks that our dogs are individually trained to perform for us, that qualify our dogs as guide and service dogs! There is neither a process nor any official evaluation that certifies a dog for guide or service work. Those fake “certifications,” that advertisers offer to sell pet owners, are meaningless!

 Untrained and unauthorized pets can – and often do – present real threats to the safety of guide dog users and our legitimately trained guide and service dogs. And, when a business owner or store manager has experienced a few unpleasant incidents caused by falsely identified so-called, “service animals,” those same owners and managers may be reluctant to welcome even well-behaved and much needed guide dogs into their establishments and inside public venues.

Don’t make it easy for pet owners to break the law – and harder for guide and service dog users to travel independently and safely with our dogs! Report those ads every time you encounter them! Here’s how!

When you encounter advertising for capes or vests or I.D. cards or tags that make your pet appear to be certified as an emotional support animal or a service dog, Report these misleading ads that encourage fraudulent behavior  to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC has primary responsibility for determining whether specific advertising is false or misleading, and for taking action against the sponsors of these advertisements. To file a complaint with

the FTC, go to ReportFraud.ftc.gov

Whether or not you are a guide or service dog user, Guide Dog Users, Inc. thanks you for your help. Please make the world a safer place for us and our guide dogs.

Article- Dogs and Cicadas: What You Need to Know

[From GDB's Blog: No Bones About It- Friday May 17, 2024]

The cicadas are coming…and it’s creating quite a buzz!

Things are warming up, and for this year, trillions of cicadas are expected to emerge from the ground beginning in May.  Notable for 2024 is the co-emergence of a 13-year and a 17-year brood of cicadas simultaneously.  The last time these specific brood groups emerged in the same season was in 1803. The next time two cicada broods co-emerge will be in 2037. We are witnessing extraordinary natural cycles. And it will be loud.

As the ground temperature reaches 64 degrees, nymphs hatched 13 and 17 years ago, return to the surface still in their juvenile form, to mature into adults, mate, and lay the next generation’s eggs.  And to sing, of course.  Once above ground, the nymph begins a two-hour molting process, which includes shedding its juvenile hard ‘skin’, or exoskeleton.  Without this hard casing, the cicadas adult body and new wings are freed, and the cicada begins a 6-week maturation cycle, mating, and laying eggs in plants and trees.  Once cicada nymphs hatch from the egg, they fall to the ground and burrow underground, where they will live for the next 13, or 17, years.  The adults remain above ground and eventually die.  The whole cycle takes about 6 weeks….and results in many insect skeletons on the ground…which are thoroughly enjoyed by fish, mammals, and birds.  And dogs, of course.  Which begs the question – “Are cicadas toxic to dogs?”

The good news is that cicadas are not poisonous to dogs.

When it comes to ingesting cicadas, the risk for dogs is more like an irritant versus a toxin.   The hard exoskeleton can cause varying degrees of gastrointestinal irritation depending on how many crunchy morsels are consumed. One or two may not be an issue, but more significant amounts can be a real problem. Because the exoskeleton is so difficult to digest, dogs who have eaten several cicadas can experience abdominal pain, lethargy, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. In severe cases, dogs may need to be hospitalized on IV fluids.

Two additional (and less common) issues for dogs who eat cicadas are that the hard exoskeleton and wings can be a choking hazard, AND some dogs might even be allergic to cicadas.  Not only can dogs have a local irritating reaction to the tiny hair-like structures called setae, on the legs of cicadas, but sometimes they can cause an actual immune response, causing intense itch, just like a contact allergy.   And a final not-so-fun fact - because cicadas and shellfish are biologically similar, people and animals with shellfish allergies can have similar allergic reactions when eating cicadas.  Some entomologists (insect scientists) develop a seafood allergy which is thought to be due to exoskeletons of the insects they study.  Even the FDA recommends not eating cicadas if you are allergic to seafood.

Obviously, preventing your dog from eating cicadas is the best way to avoid gastrointestinal issues.  If you live in an area experiencing the cicada bloom, and your dog is lethargic, inappetent, experiencing vomiting, or has bloody diarrhea, seek immediate help from a veterinarian.

Here Are Some Ways to Minimize Cicada Ingestion in Your Dog-

Teaching the ‘Leave it’ and ‘Drop it’ commands.

Accompany your puppy or dog when they go outside so you can closely supervise and prevent cicada ingestion.

Leash walking away from shrubs, trees and fences during the emergence might be necessary.

Take treats on your walk to redirect your dog away from cicadas they encounter.

Regularly rake up the exoskeletons in your yard to reduce the risk of ingestion for your dog.

Article- CDC ANNOUNCES NEW RULES FOR DOGS ENTERING THE U.S

WITH NEW REQUIREMENTS AS OF AUGUST 1

By Melanie Brunson, GDUI Advocacy Committee Chair

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has updated its regulations regarding importation of dogs into the U.S. and these changes will apply to everyone who enters the United States accompanied by a dog, including U.S. citizens who travel with service dogs.  As of August 1, all dogs, whether accompanying U.S. residents who are returning home from travel abroad, or accompanying someone entering the U.S. for the first time, must meet the following requirements:

  • They must appear healthy upon arrival
  • They must be microchipped and
  • They must be accompanied by a receipt showing that a CDC DOG IMPORT FORM has been submitted online via the CDC website for the dog.

These forms ask for information about the dog's age, the number on its microchip, when and where it was last vaccinated against rabies, and where the dog has been during the last six months prior to its arrival in the U.S.  The form must be accompanied by a "clear photograph" of the dog when it is submitted online.  We do not yet know how accessible these forms and their submission process will be for people who are visually impaired, because the CDC will not release any further information about the forms until July 15.  However, as soon as we can get additional details, we will share them here and on the GDUI website.

What we do know is that individuals traveling with dogs that were not vaccinated in the United States, as well as those who travel with their dogs to countries having a "high risk for rabies" will need to meet additional requirements before entering the U.S.  CDC encourages people who travel with their dogs to use CDC’s new personalized question-and-answer tool, “DogBot,” located at https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dogs.html to determine what rules apply to their dogs based on their travel dates, where their dog is traveling from, and where their dog was vaccinated.  If you are planning to travel outside the U.S., it's a good idea to check this resource out well in advance of your trip, because although the basic CDC form can be submitted just prior to entering the United States, if you are traveling to the U.S. from one of the "high-risk" countries, or have a dog that was vaccinated outside the U.S., or whose rabies vaccination has expired, many of the additional requirements you will have to meet to get back in to the U.S. take weeks or months to complete.  In summary, if you travel with a dog, travel outside the U.S. just got a lot more complicated.

If you are planning to travel outside the U.S. and return after August 1, reach out to CDC with any questions.  We will monitor the rollout of these new rules as well and let you know when we learn anything further about how they will be implemented.

From the Kennel Kitchen- Yummy!

[From: Pine Tree Guide Dog Users, PTGDU, Monthly News Update- June 2024]

Fresh Strawberry Pie

Cool and refreshing, this tantalizing pie with its bright berry flavor is a favorite during Maine’s strawberry picking season.

Ingredients

1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust

4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in half

1/2 cup water

1 cup granulated sugar

4 tablespoons cornstarch

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Whipped cream for garnish

Directions

Arrange half of the strawberries into the pie crust and set aside. In a small saucepan on medium heat, simmer the other half of the berries in 1/2 cup water for about 4 minutes. Slightly crush berries with the back of a spoon. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together sugar and corn starch. Add lemon juice and just enough cold water to form a paste. Stir well and add to hot strawberry mixture. Cook, stirring often, until thick and bubbly. Cool slightly and pour over berries in pie crust. Chill for about 2 hours or until set. To serve, top with whipped cream.

Podcasts, Blogs, and the Like

The Maryland State Library for the Blind and Print Disabled (LBPD) produces five podcasts, available freely to the listening public.

Maryland LBPD podcasts are available on a variety of platforms, including Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, and Amazon Music. For more information, visit https://msla.maryland.gov/Pages/LBPD.aspx External.

Podcasts produced by Maryland State Library-

LBPD Guest Hour: Interviews with outside guests

LBPD Live: Recordings of live events

LBPD TUG: Monthly technology user group program

LBPD Youth: Quarterly youth program

LBPD College Hour: Annual college program

No Bones About It- Guide Dogs for the Blind's Blog

https://www.guidedogs.com/blog/

Categories include, but are certainly not limited to- Access & Etiquette; Advocacy; Blindness Awareness; GDB Alumni, volunteer and staff profiles; O&M Immersion Program; Technology; Travel; and of course... all the things dog- Breeding Program,  Career Change Dogs, Canine Research, Dog Care & Health, Foster program, guide training, K9 Buddy, Puppy raising, and Retired Guide Dogs!

Tech-VI list

Tech-VI is not a discussion list. I use it to distribute articles which primarily focus on blindness technology. Messages may be about new products, updates to existing products, new services, webinars dealing with blindness technology, employment opportunities relating to blindness tech and articles about technology that is either designed for us or which has a huge impact on us.

To subscribe, send email to

Tech-vi+...@groups.io

The group’s main page is

https://groups.io/g/tech-vi

You can access the complete archive of messages by visiting

https://groups.io/g/tech-vi/topics

Take care, David Goldfield

www.DavidGoldfield.com

Penny Forward Podcast

https://www.pennyforward.com/

Learn more-pennyforward.com
pennyf...@pennyforward.com

Clubhouse House

Facebook

YouTube

Get our app, guest membership is free!

IOS/Apple

GooglePlay

Hadley Presents: A Conversation with the Experts Audio Podcast

Some recent episodes-

Smartphones and Vision Loss: Tools You Should Know About

https://hadleyhelps.org/podcasts/hadley-presents-conversation-experts/smartphones-and-vision-loss-tools-you-should-know

Vision Loss and Justice

Recently retired, David Tatel served for decades on the US Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. He also happens to be visually impaired.

https://hadleyhelps.org/podcasts/hadley-presents-conversation-experts/vision-loss-and-justice

Vision Loss Bloopers Continued

Sometimes, navigating life with vision loss goes a bit sideways. Things don't always turn out exactly as we've planned, and it can help to just laugh at these strange situations.

https://hadleyhelps.org/podcasts/hadley-presents-conversation-experts/vision-loss-bloopers-continued

Vision Loss and Advocating for Change

Prevent Blindness' Patient Advocacy Program Empowers People Facing Vision Impairment.

https://hadleyhelps.org/podcasts/hadley-presents-conversation-experts/vision-loss-and-advocating-change

Guide Dogs and Vision Loss

Ever thought about getting a guide dog? Listen in as we chat with members Jeff Flodin and Ed McDaniel about their experiences with guide dogs

https://hadleyhelps.org/podcasts/hadley-presents-conversation-experts/guide-dogs-and-vision-loss

Find all Episodes

A downloadable transcript is available on our site.

https://hadleyhelps.org/podcasts/hadley-presents-conversation-experts#podcast-episodes

https://hadleyhelps.org/podcasts/hadley-presents-conversation-experts/vision-loss-

The Patty’s Worlds Podcast (formally Talk to Tell-It-To-The-World Marketing)

https://pattysworlds.com/the-pattys-worlds-podcast-

Settle in with your favorite snack and brew!

Announcement- NLS Stuff!

[From: Braille Book Review March–April 2024 - National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled (NLS)]

  • Beginning February 6, 2024, NLS patrons will be allowed to download no more than 250 books and magazine issues from BARD in any rolling thirty-day period. This includes both audio and braille titles.

It does not matter which platform or combination of platforms are used to download them. For example, a person could download 30 ebraille books using the NLS Braille eReader, 70 audio magazine issues via the BARD website, and 150 audio and braille books via the BARD Mobile app, reaching the thirty-day limit of 250.

The authorization limit is calculated by adding up the number of “unique titles” downloaded. This means a patron could download the same title on additional devices in that same thirty-day period without that download counting against the authorization limit.

  • BARD Mobile Android version 2.1 released

BARD Mobile Android version 2.1, released in February 2024, contains several enhanced features and improvements. Highlights include:

A fully supported in-app search function, including Music Collection search, for a more seamless experience.

The ability to switch the app to display text and audio in Spanish.

A new international language search option that allows users to select up to four preferred languages and then filter search results by those preferences.

The app supports Android OS versions 10–14. BARD Mobile users can confirm that they are running the latest version by checking the bottom of the app’s Settings screen.

  • NLS Braille-on-Demand pilot continues

Interested in braille you can keep indefinitely? The NLS Braille-on-Demand pilot program now allows all registered patrons to receive five hard-copy braille books per month with no return date. Patrons may request books directly using the form at www.surveymonkey.com/r/NLSbrailleondemand External or may contact their network library for assistance in filing their requests. Any braille book available on BARD is eligible to be produced in hard copy by this program. Books will be mailed directly to the requesting patrons.

  • NLS website updates

In 2023, NLS launched a major update to its website, www.loc.gov/nls, and released an entirely new Spanish-language website at www.loc.gov/nls/es. If you haven’t checked them out yet, now is a great time to visit and learn about the latest happenings at NLS. Our goal is to keep the sites dynamic, engaging, and intuitive to use, with easy-to-find links to the most sought-after information and extensive cross-referencing. There’s also a new dedicated page for BARD and BARD Mobile to keep you up to date on the latest features. And don’t forget that the BARD website interface continues to be available in Spanish (and French) if you prefer that to English.

  • The Many Faces of BARD recordings available

On the second Thursday of every month, the NLS Patron Engagement Section offers an online event called The Many Faces of BARD. Past topics have included Searching on BARD, BARD Express, and using BARD on the NLS Braille eReader. To listen to recordings of previous events or find the Zoom invite for upcoming sessions, visit www.loc.gov/nls/news-and-updates/many-faces-of-bard.

  • Free braille encyclopedia articles for students

The Rose Project, an initiative of Seedlings, provides free World Book Encyclopedia articles in braille to blind students in grades 1-12. For more information or to order an article, visit www.seedlings.org/rose.php External or call Seedlings toll-free at 800-777-8552.

  • Update to Google TalkBack released

Google recently released version 14.1 of TalkBack, the default screen reader application for Android smartphones. Updates include-

The TalkBack menu, which is accessed by doing a 3-finger single tap anywhere on the screen, now offers a Describe Image option which will provide richer and more detailed descriptions of pictures.

Adjustable rate auto-scroll is now available as an option for braille display users.

Support for several new languages in braille, including Bulgarian, Hebrew, Icelandic, Kannada, Latvian, and Lithuanian.

Gesture-based typo correction capabilities for the on-screen braille keyboard

A startup wizard will appear when users update the Android Accessibility Suite in the Google Play Store to provide guidance on new features.

Article- Living and Working with Guide Dogs

By Ann Chiappetta, M.S.

I’d like to share a humorous experience in remembrance of my second dog guide, Bailey who died recently, on March 16. He was ten years old, one month shy of his eleventh birthday.

It happened during an awards ceremony in 2019 while I was still president of the Westchester Council of the Blind of New York. The ceremony was small, numbering forty guests and took place in the larger presentation rooms in the local county library. Bailey led me to the podium. I was setting up my equipment and awards and held his leash loosely in my hand.

I will preface this with two important things to know about my dog: he was the most curious dog I’ve owned and He was a clown, in the best Labrador fashion.

The small auditorium was carpeted, and the podium was stage right, the two low steps to the stage behind it, about a foot away. I situated myself, the leash slipping through my hand and I felt Bailey moving. I felt his leash angle upwards. He had climbed the steps and was on the stage looking at the audience.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

He turned to me, sat and gave me his paw.

The laughter from the crowd got me feeling the giggles. I burst out laughing. This encouraged him to give me his other paw. More laughter. I signaled him to lay down and he obeyed.

Well, by this time, the entire crowd was watching us, and I heard other folks laughing, a few exclamations of,” Oh, how cute is that?” and cameras being used. I explained to the other blind folks attending the ceremony what was happening, and this elicited more laughs. My friend, Mike, who knows all about Bailey’s clownish nature, said, in his best New York accent, “That’s Bailey for you,”.

I got my thoughts back in line and began the ceremony, Bailey lying quietly on the stage. What would life be like without a clown in the family? What would it be like to have a quiet, subdued dog guide? My first dog was this way; when she retired, I was asked what I wanted in a successor, not the easiest question after retiring a dog. I said, “A totally different dog, bolder, not so quiet.”

Bailey has met and exceeded these requirements during the eight years we were a team. and I couldn’t have asked for a better, more adaptable canine partner, dog-infused silliness, and all.

Announcement- NBP News: Annual Meeting Celebrating the Touch of Genius and Volunteer Service

[From: tm_source=hs_email]

Join us at Our Annual Meeting- in-person or virtual!

June 18, 2024 at 5pm

Northeastern University, Curry Center, Room 333

Boston, MA 02115

Get the year's biggest updates in-person or virtually!

Join us at Northeastern University in Boston for an unforgettable evening of community celebration! Enjoy delicious food, honor our dedicated volunteers with prestigious awards, and gain valuable insights into the current state of National Braille Press from our esteemed President & CEO, Brian Mac Donald.

In addition to all the excitement, we are thrilled to announce the presentation of the prestigious "Touch of Genius" Award, recognizing outstanding contributions to our cause.

For those unable to attend in person, we invite you to join us virtually by registering online. Don't miss out on this opportunity to connect with our community and stay informed about our mission.

The evening kicks off with a reception featuring delectable hors d'oeuvres from 5 - 6pm, followed by an engaging program from 6 - 7pm. Convenient parking is available at the Northeastern University Columbus Garage on Columbus Avenue, and the MBTA Northeastern Stop (Greenline) is just a quick 2-minute walk away.

Don't miss this chance to be a part of something special - RSVP today and secure your spot at our Annual Meeting!

RSVP Here!

https://share.hsforms.com/1SsFW5aSxRaeVwjYeuzUmcA1fsnq?utm_campaign=E-News%202021&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-839pv1FkY98wVJm6qsIc85wPwhkRsCVqFSu3GBoY44XapWypBSm2x3VjCwbB8AE3M_aPXpztq0t_dsL98_2XgGDg5kYg&_hsmi=309679726&utm_content=309679726&utm_source=hs_email

Article- Don't Let Your Beach Day End Up in a Trip to the Veterinary ER

[From: Usdan Institute PET HEALTH WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvE1PRpzHE]

If you’re planning to take your dog to the beach this summer, it’s important to be aware of sand impaction. This life-threatening emergency occurs when a dog ingests too much sand, usually inadvertently, and it forms an intestinal blockage.

Signs can develop anywhere from a few hours to a few days later and typically include vomiting, loss of appetite, and lethargy. If you see these signs following a trip to the beach, seek veterinary treatment right away.

Treatment will depend on how much sand is impacted and how sick your dog is. Most dogs require hospitalization for intravenous fluids, medications, and X-rays to monitor the sand’s movement.

Surgery should be avoided due to the infection risk that comes with removing millions of grains of dirty sand. Fortunately, most dogs do very well with medical management.

Article- Extras, Extras, Read All About Them!

By Janet Dickelman

It is not too late! Convention registration will remain open until 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Monday, June 17th. Register online at https://members.acb.org/, or call (651) 428-5059 for assistance.

The 2024 American Council of the Blind Conference and Convention features many sessions from our special-interest affiliates and ACB committees. However, in this article we’ll take a look at what our business partners and others are doing during the convention. Full descriptions, and applicable pricing and information on how to RSVP to sessions with limited space, will be posted on the convention registration form and in the conference program.

Breakfasts and Receptions

Join Guide Dogs for the Blind for a breakfast on Sunday, July 7.

National Industries for the Blind (NIB) will host a breakfast on Tuesday, July 9, and American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) will host a breakfast on Wednesday.

 Seeing Eye will host a reception for graduates on Monday, July 8.

 Technology Sessions

Thursday, June 27 (Zoom only): Amazon will hold two sessions: Amazon Devices Accessibility Overview and Audio Description at Prime Video

On Sunday, July 7, we have a plethora of technology sessions: HIMS is holding a session on their new Braille eMotion, and Vispero, a session on JAWS, ZoomText and the latest news about AI.

There will also be four sessions on Sunday from LVI America:

  • Voice reading machine and Vision video magnifier;
  • You’ve got mail, where you’ll explore various solutions that individuals with vision loss can use to read their mail with easy-to-use assistive technologies;
  • “The Exciting World of Portability,” where you will discover unique productivity tools that provide portable solutions for end users on the go;
  • Searching for the Holy Braille: Hear from a lifelong braille user, Mike Tindall, about what is new in the braille device world and learn if we are any closer to finding “The Holy Braille.”

Monday, July 8: AIRA has a session titled “How Do We Put the AI in Aira” and another called “A Braille Display with Speech — Intelligence You Can Feel and Hear from HumanWare.”

Tuesday, July 9: You’ll have another opportunity to join HumanWare for “Need An Audio Assistant — We Have a Product for That.”

Transportation

Monday, July 8: You’ll have two opportunities to learn about alternative transportation options with “Get to Know UZURV – The Adaptive TNC.”

Education and Family Fun

Monday, July 8: Bricks for the Blind: Hear about them in a session sponsored by AABT and ACB Families, and then join them in small group sessions for some hands-on fun with their free text-based instructions to help you build LEGO sets on your own! Learn about us, and get building! We’ll also be giving away free LEGO sets.

Financial Information

Monday, July 8: Unlock the power of financial freedom with Penny Forward! Master the art of financial management while navigating government benefits and employment challenges.

Hotel Details

The hotel is the Hyatt Regency Riverfront, 225 E. Coastline Dr., Jacksonville, FL 32202. Room rates are $99 per night (single or double occupancy), $124 (triple), $149 (quadruple). The cost of a king room is $109 per night. Room tax is 14.64%.

To ensure you receive the convention rate, you must make your reservations prior to June 14, 2024. Upon check-in, a charge of $40 per night for incidentals will be charged to your credit or debit card.

To make reservations online, go to https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/group-booking/JAXRJ/G-ACOB. If you prefer to make reservations by phone, call 1-800-233-1234, and use Code G-ACOB.

Staying in Touch

The convention announce list will be filled with information. If you received updates for the 2023 convention, you do not need to re-subscribe to the list. If you are not subscribed to the list, send a blank e-mail to acbconventi...@acblists.org.

Article- In Touch with Nature – Highly endangered African painted wild dogs #Africanwildlife #Africanwilddogs

Written by Robbie Cheadle.

Submitted by Patty L. Fletcher and Chief Seeing Eye® Dog Blue.

A.K.A. Team Blue

Hello everyone.

Chief Blue and I are always on the case, looking for interesting articles to share with you.

This month, we sniffed up a totally terrific tale, not to be confused with tail we thought you would enjoy.

We’ve shared articles from Robbie Cheadle before, so without further ado, here’s Robbie.

This month I’ve featured African painted wild dogs for my In Touch with Nature post. They are highly endangered so seeing them in the wild during our January bush trip was a real treat. They have very large and interesting bat-like ears which enable them to hear very well.

Thanks for hosting, Kaye Lynne Booth.

In Touch with Nature – Highly endangered African painted wild dogs #Africanwildlife #Africanwilddogs

The African wild dog, also called the hunting dog or African painted dog, is currently listed as endangered on the IUCN Red List. According to the African Wildlife Foundation, only 6,600 African wild dogs remain in the wild across the entire African continent. The main reason for their endangerment is habitat fragmentation (the most common reason for wildlife endangerment) which causes conflict between these predators and humans. Throughout Africa, wild dogs have been shot and poisoned by farmers for loss of livestock, even though these losses are frequently due to other predators including hyenas and leopards. In addition, African wild dogs also suffer from endemic disease outbreaks.

African wild dogs have a mottled coat comprising of yellow, black and white patches. They have long legs with flat, broad heads, a short black muzzle, and large round ears.

Wild dogs have strong social bonds and live in packs of two to twenty-seven adults and yearling pups.

Wild dogs are excellent hunters. They hunt in packs of six to twenty individuals and catch their prey by chasing them to exhaustion. Wild dogs can run at speeds of up to 66 km/h (41 mph) for between 10 to 60 continuous minutes. They have an 80 percent kill success rate with is higher than bigger predators like lions and leopards.

Observers have noticed that prior to setting out to hunt, the wild dogs’ populations in the Okavango Delta of Botswana rally to determine whether they should depart. Departure is more likely when more individual dogs sneeze, a short sharp exhale through the nostrils. If a dominant dog initiates by sneezing, around three additional sneezes guaranteeing…

Continue reading to learn more about these fascinating creatures at the link below.

https://writingtoberead.com/2024/04/24/in-touch-with-nature-highly-endangered-african-painted-wild-dogs-africanwildlife-africanwilddogs/

Please do let Robbie know you stopped by.

Thanks for reading.

Hugs and Wags,

Team Blue.

Article- Ride-share Drivers Accused of Refusing Passengers With Guide Dogs

Advocates Want Government Action to Enforce Anti-discrimination Laws That Stipulate Guaranteed Access for Assistance Dogs in Public Places

[From: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/apr/24/he-could-have-killed-my-dog-ride-share-drivers-accused-of-refusing-passengers-with-guide-dogs]

Australia

By Cait Kelly Inequality reporter

April 23, 2024

Natalie has lost count of how many times

she’s called a ride-share or taxi and has been left standing on the curb with her guide dog.

Two years ago, she was going to a music lesson in Sydney’s Sutherland Shire when she says a driver sped off, dragging her dog, Sharnee, behind the car.

“He said no, ‘You need to book Uber pet, basically refusing me. I was half in his car, trying to show him the guide dog card,” Natalie, who did not want her surname used, said.

“He goes, ‘Oh that’s not necessary,’ and drove off at 30 or 40km/h,” she said. “I was yelling out stop, stop, you’re going to injure my dog.”

Natalie says Sharnee’s paw pad was scrapped off in the incident and afterwards, she hated getting into any car. Natalie was forced to put Sharnee into early retirement from working as a guide dog, and Natalie now has a different guide dog.

In the months after the incident, the driver left the country, so there was no avenue to pursue a complaint, she said.

Natalie says she has been regularly refused rides in taxis/ride-shares because she travels with her guide dog. It took months for [the police] to come back to me with the result, which ended up being nothing.”

A month later, another driver refused to take her. After she complained to the service, the driver claimed Natalie hadn’t been wearing a mask. After Natalie produced the CCTV to prove that she had been, the man was fined but allowed to continue working as a ride-share driver.

“They have to have something to deter them from doing this,” Natalie said. “Something so they know it’s not right and the laws won’t put up with it. Right now, they’re making out like it’s a joke.”

Almost half (46%) of Australians living with low vision and blindness have experienced a refusal with a taxi or ride-share company in the past 24 months, new data collected by Ernst & Young and commissioned by Guide Dogs Australia has revealed.

More than one-third (34%) said their taxi or ride-share was cancelled, while others were ridiculed or discriminated against (15%). The report said 622 people living with low vision and blindness were surveyed across the country, with a mixture of Guide Dog clients and other individuals.

The report found guide dog handlers were more likely to face access refusals or barriers in public, most commonly when booking ride-share or taxis, highlighting the discrimination against guide dogs.

Under federal anti-discrimination laws, assistance dogs are guaranteed access to public places – including taxes and ride shares – and drivers who refuse service can be fined up to $2,500.

But advocates say the laws are often ignored. Graeme Innes is the former disability discrimination commissioner, a Sydney-based human rights lawyer and Guide Dogs client. He said last December when he arrived at Melbourne airport he was refused three times before he got a ride.

“I was able to get photos and license numbers, and they’ve been submitted to Safe Transport Victoria and those drivers have all been fined,” Innes said.

“But I shouldn’t have to be the policing authority here … This should be policed by the authorities at the taxi ranks where there are staff there.”

Innes estimated he was refused at least once a month and said he knew people who had guide dogs who had stopped travelling. The government needs to issue fines and work with platforms to ban drivers who refuse, Innes said.

“I think the key thing is government enforcing the law,” he said. “Ride-share companies all have training programmes that their drivers go through and so drivers can’t say that they’re not aware of these laws.”

Uber did not respond to questions from Guardian Australia about the incident with Natalie. But a spokesperson said the company was rolling out a “bespoke video learning course” to educate drivers on their obligations. If the driver receives a complaint, they will be forced to do complete a “knowledge course”.

Blair Davies, the chief executive of the Australian Taxi Industry Association Limited, said they were satisfied taxi drivers knew they had to provide service for everyone, but some drivers did not want to comply.

“That’s where we do encourage customers who have that experience to report it so that the industry can take action,” Davies said.

“The drivers are out there, they’re effectively working for themselves. If they choose to discriminate, there’s no immediate supervisor to call them into line, we need to wait for the complaint to come in. It’s a worry.”

Davies said the ATIA position was that some “stronger form of compliance” would be helpful as discrimination complaints currently put the onus on the alleged victim.

Tamara Searant, Guide Dogs NSW/ACT general manager of social change, said there needed to be an easier way for users to report complaints and more compliance from companies.

“One thing that’s missing at the moment is reporting,” Searant said. “Better reporting of what’s happening will help with people who want to make complaints, knowing that it’s gone somewhere and that there is an outcome.”

Article- Interest in a Long Covid Support Group?

People with long-haul COVID are afraid of being discovered. They’re afraid of rejection. There is a lot of research taking place on long COVID. There’s a need for support groups. There is someone who can start a support group, either inside or outside of ACB. But before starting such a group, we want to gauge interest levels. If you are interested, contact Sharon Lovering via email, slov...@acb.org

Article- Lessons from Judge David Tatel’s Guide Dog on Blindness and Vision

[Editor’s Note: Judge David S. Tatel will be the featured speaker at the upcoming ACB Convention Banquet.]

In a new memoir, a retired federal appeals court judge who was once a leading candidate for the Supreme Court reflects on candor and independence.

By Adam Liptak

[From: The New York Times, May 27, 2024,

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/27/us/david-tatel-vision-blindness-supreme-court.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare]

Had Al Gore won the presidency in 2000, a lot of people thought, he would have put Judge David S. Tatel on the Supreme Court. The judge had a towering intellect, was a model judicial craftsman and, only incidentally, had been blind since his 30s. But George W. Bush prevailed, with an assist from a closely divided Supreme Court. President Bush went on to appoint two members of the court, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., propelling it toward its current trajectory.

Judge Tatel served for 23 more years on the U.S. Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia Circuit. He relied on people who would read to him, increasingly sophisticated technology and an astounding memory to produce a widely admired body of judicial work that included major opinions on voting rights, the environment and the internet.

He was for years reluctant to talk about his blindness. And judicial tact, he said, required him to suppress his increasing discomfort with the direction of the Supreme Court.

In “Vision,” a candid and moving memoir to be published next month, Judge Tatel weaves those two themes together. He discussed them over coffee at the kitchen table in his Washington apartment, with his guide dog, Vixen, looking on attentively.

Article- Experiencing a Solar Eclipse with Description from Be My Eyes AI

[From: The ACB Braille Forum, Volume LXII • June 2024 • No. 12]

By Jessica Mandich

 I know that a solar eclipse doesn’t really mean much or anything to the blindness community. But if you’re low vision or partially blind and love astronomy, then this is a big deal. The first time I witnessed a solar eclipse was back in 2017. My grandmother and I watched it on TV. The thing is, neither of our cities were in the path of totality, so we opted to watch on TV in real time via conference call. The very next year I received my kidney transplant.

Back then audio description wasn’t really all that well known. Fast-forward to 2024 and you have options for having things described to you, from your favorite TV shows and movies to using apps that utilize AI to describe objects in pictures that you take on your favorite iDevice.

So what is an eclipse? The easiest answer that I can give is the moon crossing between the sun and the Earth. When it does this, it blocks out light, sending the area into darkness for a couple of minutes. A partial eclipse blocks out a portion of the sun, while a total eclipse blocks out all light. Solar eclipses happens during the day, while lunar eclipses happen at night.

Sadly, because I’m a transplant recipient, I had to watch from home. A friend of mine was texting me what was happening from his vantage point so that I wouldn’t miss out. My view of the partial solar eclipse was disappointing, as all the fun happened on the other side of my apartment building. Still I was able to follow along to the different special reports from local and national news outlets. Once NBC News showcased one of NASA’s photos on one of their programs. I took a screenshot with my phone. It took a couple of tries to get it just right, but I was able to get the perfect shot.

Once I was satisfied with my editing, I submitted it to Be My Eyes’ Be My AI to be described. This is the description I received: “The image appears to be that of a solar eclipse. There is a large, dark circle in the center, which is the moon blocking the sun. Around the edges of the moon, there is a bright, glowing light that creates a halo effect. This light is the sun’s corona, which is usually obscured by the brightness of the sun itself but becomes visible during an eclipse. The background is black, indicating the darkness of space.”

It took me several hours to post that on my social media. I got quite a bit of compliments privately. I wasn’t really expecting any of that, because I was doing the photo description for myself. I wasn’t expecting it to leave such a positive impact.

I am also grateful for my sighted friend who made sure I felt included to some extent of the celestial event. I have retinitis pigmentosa in both eyes, and I’ve had the eye disease for 31 years. The next total solar eclipse in America will be in 2044. Twenty years from now is a very long time; I have no idea if I’ll still be able to see something like that ever again.

Article- Disney Fan with Eye Disorder Says She No Longer Feels 'Welcomed' at Park After Disability Guidelines Change (Exclusive)

April 20, 2024

[From: https://people.com/woman-with-eye-disorder-does-not-feel-welcomed-disney-with-disability-guideline-change-exclusive-8635464]

On April 9, Disney updated their policies for guests with disabilities. These changes take effect on May 20 at Walt Disney World and June 18 at Disneyland.

The first time Natasha Caudill visited Disney World in 2022, she didn't realize she could apply for Disability Access Services (DAS).

Caudill, a 26-year-old content creator and accessibility advocate, was born with a rare eye disorder called achromatopsia. According to the Cleveland Clinic, this condition limits people's ability to see color vision and also causes other vision issues, such as rapid eye movements.

"My eyes are extremely sensitive to all light, both inside and outside. This makes being outside in sunlight painful, even when I’m wearing sunglasses," Caudill, who resides in Chicago, tells PEOPLE exclusively in an interview.

During her first Disney trip, Caudill endured the discomfort. "I also attended extra magic hours at nighttime so that I was able to see without pain," she recalls.

Since that first visit, Caudill has returned to the park three more times. For each subsequent trip, she obtained a DAS pass. This pass allowed her to schedule rides in advance and then wait for them comfortably indoors, in the stores, or at restaurants in the parks.

On April 9, Disney updated their policies for guests with disabilities, sparking mixed reactions from park-goers

According to Disney's website, DAS passes will now only be available to "guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time."

Along with these changes, Disney is also adding more options for guests needing support navigating attraction queues.

Disneyland officials told PEOPLE, "Disney is dedicated to providing a great experience for all Guests, including those with disabilities, which is why we are so committed to delivering a wide range of innovative support services aimed at helping our Guests with disabilities have a wonderful time when visiting our theme parks,"

The new guidelines mean people with other disabilities' eligibility for DAS will be determined on a case by case basis by Disney's accessibility team. Caudill says she has not yet taken this step.

"I feel like it’s still a little unclear why Disney changed the DAS pass," Caudill says. "People are speculating that too many people are lying to use the service," she adds.

"I wish Disney was more upfront about the change. Disney World offers such a welcoming atmosphere, but as a disabled person, I just don’t feel as welcome now," she continues.

Over the last couple of years, Caudill has used her social media platform to educate people who were unfamiliar with DAS—like she once was—about it. When she found out about the new guidelines, she knew she wanted to make a Tiktok about it.

Her video has since gone viral, garnering over half a million views.

"I’ve received hundreds of comments from people who are also no longer eligible for the DAS pass," she says. "I’ve also received hundreds of comments about how I ruined DAS by sharing it online, that I’m faking my disability, and that I don’t deserve to use DAS in the first place."

"The bullying on my video has gotten so bad that I stopped reading comments, but I am glad that I’ve been able to connect with some of the people who also used DAS in the past. Disney was an accessible option for so many people, and I really hope someone at Disney sees not just my video, but all the content that’s been going around about the DAS pass," she adds.

"I love Disney, but I care deeply about accessibility and the disability community, so if I have to call them out, I will. Hopefully, it can inspire positive change for the system," she concludes.

While Caudill says these changes won’t stop her from going to Disney, she says she will probably spend less time in the parks and go on fewer rides.

"I can endure the sun if I have to, since I’ve done it all my life, but there are a lot of people who planned their entire Disney trips around this accessibility, and now it’s gone," she says.

Article- Why Your Dog's Feet Smell Like Corn Chips and What to Do

By BethAnn Mayer

February 8, 2024

Why does my dog smell like Fritos?

Should I be concerned if my dog’s feet smell like Fritos?

How to care for your dog’s paws

It’s actually common for your dog’s paws to smell like Fritos. A pup’s paws were made for walking, and they can pick up fungi like pseudomonas and proteus. These bacteria can be found on the skin of many canines and other animals. Proteus produces a compound called putrescine, which can often cause their paw pads to smell like Fritos. The areas between the toes can be the smelliest.

Bacteria thrive in moist environments, and a pet’s paws often fit that bill, and not just if they’ve recently taken a stroll in just-watered grass or the ground as the frost thaws. Dogs use their paw pads to sweat — panting isn’t the only way pups cool off. Breeds with more skin folds and heavy, natural fur coats are bigger moisture magnets and are more likely to have paws that smell like corn chips.

Sometimes, food allergies can exacerbate paw issues, too.

While “Bacteria” sounds scary, dogs with paws that smell strangely like a favorite game-day snack like Fritos are often just fine. However, the microorganisms can multiply and cause a variety of issues, including pain and infections. You’ll want to get the vet on the line any time you’re concerned. However, you’ll definitely want to get a call into the vet if your dog’s Frito-smelling paws combine with any of the below symptoms-

Redness

Signs of pain, such as limping or yelping

Licking

Bumps on the paws

If you take your pup to the vet, the doctor will test the yeast to determine the cause. If the cause is proteus, the vet might-

Run additional tests, such as for food allergies

Prescribe medicated topical treatments like sprays, shampoos, or wipes

Switch your dog’s diet to a specialized one to eliminate allergens

How to care for your dog’s paws- Prevention is the best medicine — cliche but true. Though you can’t control every aspect of your dog’s risk factors for proteus, such as breed, you can take some steps to ensure your pup’s paws are well cared for. Some of these steps will also flag paw issues before they get worse and lead to pain and infections. Unfortunately, pet parents don’t always notice a dog is having paw problems until the pup is in pain or limping. Proper paw care includes-

Regular inspection of paws. Take a look at your dog’s paw pads, including the area between the toes, daily as you cuddle to inspect for any issues.

Clip nails. Regular clipping can prevent pain and give bacteria less room to grow.

Wipe paws. Wipe and dry a dog’s paws after water exposure, including baths. Since bacteria thrive in moist environments, this step can help ward off these pesky microorganisms.

Takeaway

Surprisingly, dogs’ paws can sometimes smell like Fritos. The occurrence is common and typically normal. Frito-smelling paws don’t indicate your dog has a severe health issue. However, occasionally, this scent is a signal to call a vet. Typically, Frito-smelling paw pads are the result of bacteria. Bacteria thrive in moist environments, like paws, which your dog uses to sweat and step on wet ground. The smell is most common between toes, with less air circulation. Though not always the case, a dog with paws that smell like Fritos could have an infection. You’ll want to call the vet if you’re concerned, especially if the dog is excessively licking the area, limping, or has bumps or redness on their paws. Regular inspection of a pet’s paws, clipping nails, and wiping wet feet can prevent bacteria from growing and help you get your furry friend the help they need sooner.

IMPORTANT Editor’s note- announcements and articles, for GDUI- News You Can Use, are culled from a variety of sources; Hence inclusion herein does not imply GDUI endorses, supports or verifies their contents. Shared information, ideas, or expressed opinions should not be treated as advice from GDUI or editors of this publication. Factual errors are the responsibility of the listed source.

Sincerely,

Sarah Calhoun, President

Guide Dog Users, Inc.

Andrea Giudice, Editor

Paws for GDUI- News You Can Use

Visit our web site: https://www.guidedogusersinc.org/

Call us, toll-free, at 866.799.8436

Our Facebook page can be accessed at https://www.facebook.com/GDUInc/.

Our Facebook group can be accessed at https://www.facebook.com/groups/GDUINC/.

Our Twitter timeline can be accessed at https://twitter.com/gduinc.

Download or subscribe to the GDUI Juno Report pod cast here: http://acbradio.org/gdr.xml

Support GDUI when you use this link to shop at Amazon.com:

http://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-1871119.

To subscribe to the (members only) GDUI Business list, visit this link:

business+...@guidedogusersinc.org.

A58EB109AADA45F2A951D6CF3E3A2924.jpg
E12E041492434B6D8ECE7F2C3D62744E.jpg
Paws for GDUI- News You Can Use June 2024 Vol IV No. 3.docx