Audio issues when streaming

Lance Otto

May 12, 2020, 10:39:32 PM5/12/20
to WELSTech
We are using a laptop to dual stream to YouTube and Facebook. Video is perfect but I'm having audio issues. Sound is muddy when pastor is speaking of singers are heard (6-10). It gets much worse as more instruments are added (worship band). Becomes very bass heavy. I am going to try an adapter that lifts the ground on the 1/8" audio connection next. Other troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated.

I'm monitoring the system, with headphones, to the last device before the laptop and it sounds great! Music on DVD recording sounds great! Something is happening on the way to or through the laptop. Sound is going to the laptop through a Startech A/V capture device and then USB 3. Audio ratings/reviews on this device are good. I'm not able to monitor sound with headphones on the laptop for some reason that I haven't figured out. I'm using XSplit to send the live stream out.

I would like to get to a desktop system to accomplish this and I'm wondering if that's what I need to do to fix audio issues as well. I'm looking for recommendations on how much CPU power, RAM, video card RAM etc. I need in a desktop. Laptop specs Intel Core i5-6440HQ Processor Base, AMD Radeon R7 M360, 2GB Discrete Graphics.

Thanks for all your help.

Lance Otto
St John Lutheran Church - Redwood Falls, MN

Joshua Schoeneck

May 12, 2020, 11:19:50 PM5/12/20
to Lance Otto, WELSTech
What are you using for video input, the laptop camera or something else?

Have you made sure that XSplit is taking in the audio from your capture device and not just your built-in microphone?

Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School - Blessed Beyond Belief
Joshua J. Schoeneck
Registrar, Director of Technology, Technology Instructor
Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School
262-677-4051 x1121
mobile: 262-225-7308
joshua.s...@kmlhs.org
Educating for Life and for Eternity

Kyle Riess

May 12, 2020, 11:59:35 PM5/12/20
to Lance Otto, Joshua Schoeneck, WELSTech
We had a similar situation when we started streaming and I couldn't figure it out - even tried a new sound card. We ended up using an external audio box (Scarlett) and connected to the PC via USB. Definitely a cheaper fix than a new PC and it has been working great. Unfortunately, it seems like you have a combination product doing both audio and video so not sure if this would help you at all.

Since this is going on longer than expected we did get a donation for new hardware and we're upgrading to a new Ryzen 9 system... Overbuild so it lasts longer, right? I'm putting in 64 GB of RAM and using a 1 TB m.2 nvme SSD. You could definitely get by with a Ryzen 3 or 5 (or Intel 8700 or 9700) with 16 GB of RAM, but I'm trying to future proof as much as possible. I did also add a discrete video adapter for encoding and multi monitor support. We will probably continue to use the Scarlett for audio and we use IP camera and Elgato to get our video and Wirecast to stream.

In Christ,
Kyle

Technology Administrator
St. Mark Lutheran Church and School
2220 Anne St NW
Bemidji, MN 56601
www.stmarksbemidji.org

Lance Otto

May 13, 2020, 8:39:23 AM5/13/20
to WELSTech, otto...@gmail.com
Video and audio going through a Startech VGA to USB 3 adapter. I do have XSplit taking the audio from that device not the mic on the laptop.

I started out using a Roxio video capture USB device. At that point I wasn't paying enough attention to the audio it brought in. With the Roxio, I was able to control the input level in XSplit. With the Startech, I can only control output. Maybe I should try bringing audio through the Roxio?

Lance

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 9:39 PM Lance Otto <otto...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Lance Otto

Philip Wels

May 13, 2020, 8:50:28 AM5/13/20
to Lance Otto, WELSTech, joshua.s...@kmlhs.org

Do you have a sample of the audio video issue you could share?

I’m not familiar with StarTech, but it’s definitely worth trying a different unit if you have one on hand, to see what happens. I’ve never used XSplit either, sorry, but the other thing you could test is using OBS or download a trial of vMix to see if the same issue exists.

Does XSplit have audio filters? Or is it doing any sort of compressing or limiting? Again, just things to check/look for if you haven’t. Not familiar with the featureset.

- Your Friendly Neighborhood Philip

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/groups.wels.net/d/msgid/welstech/a8a1000b-edec-4b93-882d-029fafa98415%40groups.wels.net.

Lance Otto

May 13, 2020, 9:05:29 AM5/13/20
to Philip Wels, WELSTech, joshua.s...@kmlhs.org

Lance Otto

May 13, 2020, 9:17:23 AM5/13/20
to Philip Wels, WELSTech, joshua.s...@kmlhs.org
By the way, the reason I’m using XSplit is because it is the easiest software to dual stream.

Mark Meyer

May 13, 2020, 9:37:56 AM5/13/20
to Lance Otto, Philip Wels, WELSTech, joshua.s...@kmlhs.org
I’m using Restream to dual stream. It costs $19.00 a month and I just send one stream to Restream and it takes if from there to wherever I want it. Youtube and Facebook live.

It’s doing a great job.

———
Mark Meyer
Technology Director
Immanuel Lutheran Church & School
Greenville, Wi

Philip Wels

May 13, 2020, 10:02:58 AM5/13/20
to Lance Otto, WELSTech

Thanks for the audio comparison.

It almost sounds to me like the DVD audio is coming from a separate mic/source… Is the audio feed to the DVD different/separate to the streaming audio?

You said it sounds fine right before going into the PC, though…

So I’m still guessing that Windows, XSplit, or StarTech is gaining up the audio and boosting the base. Does the StarTech AV unit come with software for controlling/monitoring/modifying in the audio/video in? I’d look for any audio filters or equalizers on the software side.

bcn...@gmail.com

May 13, 2020, 5:07:20 PM5/13/20
to wels...@groups.wels.net

Don’t want to be a middle person, but I shared this with a techie in Twin Cities. Read his response and willingness to take a phone call.

May 15, 2020, 8:27:24 PM5/15/20
to WELSTech
I tried a sound comparison, using headphones, between the laptop and my desktop. Using a Koine song, to have a similar style to our worship band, I found the same issue - too much bass. I found out that there was an updated driver. Installed it and I'm much happier with the sound. I definitely need to move to a higher end desktop for doing this long term. I'll be running a test during band practice on Saturday again.

Thanks for all your input.

Lance

Lance Otto

May 16, 2020, 4:37:44 PM5/16/20