Bandwidth monitoring software recommendation

Mark Thiesfeldt

Oct 27, 2020, 2:46:54 PM10/27/20
to WELSTech
Hello,

I'm seeking a recommendation for software or some sort of network tool that I can use to monitor the bandwidth usage in my school. I'm looking for this software as a diagnostic tool to see if we need to upgrade to a higher bandwidth level. We have Comcast Business internet right now. Thanks in advance for any tips your can offer.

--
Mark G. Thiesfeldt

Denice Turpin

Oct 27, 2020, 3:01:03 PM10/27/20
to Mark Thiesfeldt, WELSTech

Joshua Schoeneck

Oct 27, 2020, 3:24:01 PM10/27/20
to Denice Turpin, Mark Thiesfeldt, WELSTech
To do this accurately, you will need to measure this at the device (router, firewall, etc.) where your network connects to the Internet or get the information from your ISP. I don't have experience with Comcast, but this info from their support site indicates that you may be able to get the info from your account portal - https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/ethernet/view-business-ethernet-performance-reporting-online

--
Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School
Joshua J. Schoeneck

Jeff Nelson

Oct 27, 2020, 3:42:12 PM10/27/20
to Mark Thiesfeldt, WELSTech
I have some experience internal with doing this at our company.  There are two components that I have used to monitor network resources quite extensively.   First, if your networking equipment supports doing netflows and s-flows that is a great start. The only catch is you have to have that switch (or s-flow capable device) in-line with where you'r trying to monitor traffic.  You can then use any number of tools to ingest that data.  One of them that has a free license  with a limited number of sensors is PRTG.   It's great for seeing netflow data and has a vast number of sensors in it for different items, SNMP, script output to a graph etc.   Solar winds and powershell etc. all have options as well.

Hope that helps,

Jeff.

Jeff.

Sean

Oct 27, 2020, 4:57:59 PM10/27/20
to Mark Thiesfeldt, WELSTech
Mark, I use LibreNMS both personally and professionally: https://www.librenms.org/

If your edge device offers SNMP access, LibreNMS will most likely be able to auto-discover it's ports. You'll eventually have graphs that you can look at historically to see what your bandwidth usage was vs. what your current bandwidth usage is.

I agree that your ISP should be able to offer some sort of insight to your usage over time, but it's also beneficial to run something like LibreNMS locally in case there is ever an issue with ckt problems or local link problems.

-Sean

--
Screenshot at 2020-10-27 12-54-54.png